You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I think I've created a monster

Captain Turdseye

my 6 year old did something meaningless at school that I don't even know what it was now but I made her write a letter of apology to her teacher. She never did it again and it shows the school that you've taken on board what was wrong. Right thing to do CT.

Now just teach the boy to drink better than you!

Totally agree, I'd be the same. If I caught sight of the dad and he turned out to be much, much smaller than I am, I wouldn't hesitate to kick his head in.

Seriously though, I'm pretty confident it won't happen again. He's a smart kid, he's sorry for all the right reasons and Mrs Turdseye has made it clear that falling in with a bad crowd and turning mouthy won't be tolerated.

The boy's got skills and could go far. When he was in primary school he was one of only a handful of kids in this town that were invited up to the secondary school one afternoon a week for advanced maths lessons. We all know how easy it is to get into the wrong crowd, just don't want him falling into the same trap.

Not to alarm you, but falling in with the maths crowd is pretty much like Straight Outta Compton.

best case scenrio its good will hunting scouse version.

• Upvote 1

my 6 year old did something meaningless at school that I don't even know what it was now but I made her write a letter of apology to her teacher. She never did it again and it shows the school that you've taken on board what was wrong. Right thing to do CT.

Now just teach the boy to drink better than you!

Your kid should never have to apologize for his/her name.

Reading through this I reckon it's horses for courses where kids are concerned.

Before we had our lad, I was firmly in the nurture over nature camp but not any more. Our lad is just really full on. He's a bundle of energy, gets bored quickly and often finds himself in trouble.

We've tried all kinds of things with him ranging from strict discipline down to almost ignorance. Although we don't feel as though we've cracked it yet it seems as though he reacts much better to strict discipline.

It's the only way to keep him in line to be honest. I wish it wasn't the case but he's just a bit of a loon by nature and he's the sole reason why we're not having any more (even though we realise that we'd probably get a completely different style of kid next time!)

Parenting has got to be the most stressful thing in life...

Reading through this I reckon it's horses for courses where kids are concerned.

Before we had our lad, I was firmly in the nurture over nature camp but not any more. Our lad is just really full on. He's a bundle of energy, gets bored quickly and often finds himself in trouble.

We've tried all kinds of things with him ranging from strict discipline down to almost ignorance. Although we don't feel as though we've cracked it yet it seems as though he reacts much better to strict discipline.

It's the only way to keep him in line to be honest. I wish it wasn't the case but he's just a bit of a loon by nature and he's the sole reason why we're not having any more (even though we realise that we'd probably get a completely different style of kid next time!)

Parenting has got to be the most stressful thing in life...

you can't imagine how different they can be Ian.  I stupidly made the mistake of assuming they would have more or less the same characteristics - they couldn't really be much more different.  Have another one.  Go on.  Do it now.    

you can't imagine how different they can be Ian. I stupidly made the mistake of assuming they would have more or less the same characteristics - they couldn't really be much more different. Have another one. Go on. Do it now.

I agree with all of this. Have another Brownie lad.

I think just having one child is a bit selfish tbh,fuck finances as you always find a way. Kids do change when you have other siblings around,i agree it can be a handfull at first but ultimately I believe they benefit from the social interaction a lot later on. I think parents of only children tend to spoil them far too much when its to try and cover the absence of another human being of a similar age with a perfect understanding of how they feel.

Hope this doesnt sound like a go at you one child parents,its really not,I just reckon that at least two kids is best for most well adjusted families.

There are obviously some parents who dont deserve any and some childless couples who do but cannot due to various reasons,medical and others,but thats for another debate.

There are some situations where we both agree that having another would be beneficial but when we weigh everything up we just don't think it's right for us.

If you're not feeling something, it would be bizarre to go against your feelings and instinct. Especially with something so big.

• Upvote 3

I can only imagine the financial struggles of parenting, I found it hard enough looking after myself with housemates helping paying the mortgage. Now my wife lives with me, it's been a pretty big hit financially and once the housemates all move out and there is another mouth to feed, it will be a completely different lifestyle altogether. But I know it's going to be worth it, I just have to remember that I have it easy now in comparison to 12-24 months time when I hopefully become a dad.

As for the kid, I am probably the only one here feeling a bit sorry for this boy. Of course what he said was very bad and the punishment is spot on, but remembering my school days I am almost certain of the following: 

There will be 2 or 3 kids in his class\year that say stuff like that on a daily basis and never get caught or punished for it. They are the hard\bad kids and most kids would be too afraid to grass on him and they know how to get away with it. Because this is so out of character the girl will have felt more comfortable reporting it and for his ultimate own good it's best that she did.

• Upvote 2

The funny thing is, you just adjust to the expense- it becomes a normal thing.

We thought it would be a big hit, but found ways to get by.

The thing with multiple kids is that going from 1 to 2 doesn't just double the workload- it increases exponentially.

Going from 2 to 3 (little ones are 6, 4, and nearly 3) is a massive jump - not a step to be taken lightly!

Our decision wasn't purely financial. We made the decision to have a child late in life and Mrs D had a rough pregnancy (she got gestational diabetes ). We both made the decision that we didn't want her to go through it again. The upside is the financial benefits of only having one.

Saying it's selfish is a bit of a shitty assumption to make.

• Upvote 5