You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp's Tactics

Mil-ing Around

Jim, this is his 3rd season in charge now. He was brought in as the previous incumbent was getting slaughtered for not being able to set up a team that could keep a clean sheet. Christ, the man was slaughtered for losing weight and brushing his teeth. For a manager of Klopp's calibre, I honestly expected a lot more tactically and in purchases yet I'm seeing the same things happen that were happening before he came.

Klopp's no idiot and you only have to hear him speak in his interviews and the man says the same things were saying on here yet these aren't getting translated into the pitch.

If he hasn't got the players to do what he wants tactics wise then he's gonna have to change what we're doing to suit what he's got. We're too easy to play against at the min and good teams would have realised that spartan and Newcastle were awful after 5 minutes and swept them aside with ease instead of letting them escape with a draw.

Here we go, 'it's his 3rd season in charge.' He hasnt been here 2 full years yet! Look, if you cant see the improvement Klopp has brought about at the club and are prepared t dismiss all that due to a run of poor results, knock yourself out. That's exactly how I expect a superfans to react.

The fact of the matter is, we're still creating chances and if sturridge, salah and wijnaldum had of put his shot 6" to the left, we'd have scored 2. Klopp cant put the ball in the net, players have to do that.

It's funny, Ive seen us play some fantastic football under all managers and get beaten more than 1 in a league game. Ive seen us play shit and come away with 3 points many a time. Ive seen us get lucky and draw when we probably should have got beat. All during poor runs of form.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. But Im a superfan. Ha, ha, fucking ha. Football's a game where sometimes you dont get what you deserve. Its what happens. So, you dig deep, draw in the wagons if you need to and keep trying hard.

So far this year we have 12 points from 7 games.  

Here are the points from the first 7 games for previous 10 title winners:

16/17 - Chelsea - 12

15/16 - Leicester - 12

14/15 - Chelsea - 19

13/14 - City - 13

12/13 - United - 15

11/12 - City - 19

10/11 - United - 13

09/10 - Chelsea - 18

08/09 - United - 14

07/08 - United - 14

You COULD make a very weak argument about us being in good shape to win the league.  Doesn't really add up when City and United are on 19 points and +19 goal difference tho.

It's not rocket science.

Improve the defence, get a striker, find a solid midfielder. 

Instead he buys another left back, doesnt play him, then spends £40m on a wingback who wants to play CM but instead brings him on as a winger with 10 mins left. 

He shit out of a lot of big managerial calls this summer. 

All depends on the starting point though.

Zidane took over at Madrid and won the CL within 4 months. 

Madrid had dropped points in 7 games upto Jan 2016 when he took over.

From that point they only dropped points in 3 more games.

• Conte came in and won the title in his first season at Chelsea.
  • Ranieri came in and won the title in his first season at Leicester.
  • Mourinho came 4 points behind CIty in his return to Chelsea, and then won the league in the following season.
  • Pellegrini came in and won the title in his first season at Man City.
  • Mancini won the title at Man City within 18 months of taking over.
  • Ancelotti won the title in his first season at Chelsea.

You can hate the modern game all you want.

Leicester apart (they're very much an anomaly by whatever criteria applies), all those clubs had won something significant in their very recent past when those managers came in. They weren't coming in and handling a squad full of players who'd won fuck-all (plus one or two who'd won a League Cup 3 years earlier), and that makes a difference when trying to engineer an upturn in fortunes. When most of your squad have proven they can do it but have not been doing it recently (hence a new manager coming in), that is a very different base from having a squad that definitely hasn't proven it can do it. Semantics and personnel changes can be argued, and form vs quality can be debated but the point stands.

That is not to make excuses, and I doubt Klopp is the type to keep making excuses for failure. By and large, you can see his teams trying to play on the front foot and make things happen, and the inconsistency is due to various factors - lack of quality, lack of depth, lack of concentration, the strength of opponents, etc etc. Right now, ourselves and Spurs are in that 'almost but not quite' bracket, with the main difference being greater consistency on their part.

• Upvote 1

Leicester apart (they're very much an anomaly by whatever criteria applies), all those clubs had won something significant in their very recent past when those managers came in. They weren't coming in and handling a squad full of players who'd won fuck-all (plus one or two who'd won a League Cup 3 years earlier), and that makes a difference when trying to engineer an upturn in fortunes. When most of your squad have proven they can do it but have not been doing it recently (hence a new manager coming in), that is a very different base from having a squad that definitely hasn't proven it can do it. Semantics and personnel changes can be argued, and form vs quality can be debated but the point stands.

That is not to make excuses, and I doubt Klopp is the type to keep making excuses for failure. By and large, you can see his teams trying to play on the front foot and make things happen, and the inconsistency is due to various factors - lack of quality, lack of depth, lack of concentration, the strength of opponents, etc etc. Right now, ourselves and Spurs are in that 'almost but not quite' bracket, with the main difference being greater consistency on their part.

Spurs despite being inconsistent thus far have a shit hot striker and a better defence than us.

I think when all is said and done I genuinely agree with Klopp when he says we arent far away from being a top team. We genuinely have a top 4 attack who at the moment are just struggling which even the best do from time to time. I dont blame them as everytime we get ahead the defence undoes their hard work. Id say morale is taking a hammering because of that.

I'm frustrated as fuck with this side. Personally there's no way for me klopps job should even be up for debate. Some of his management this season deserves criticism, it's harder to know who to criticize over the summer transfer window because since FSG have been here our transfer philosophy/set up has been dogshit and the devil's greatest ever trick is convincing FSG that Michael Edwards is some kind of fucking asset. A man with a position of such importance at the club should have to answer some bastards questions and be a bit more of a public figure. Yeah that's right he's my scapegoat. Fuck that guy.

• Upvote 1

Talksport (I know but it was on in the car) going to town on him, in particular over his treatment of Sturridge. Had some guy who sounded retired and from the home counties ringing in saying he's done with Klopp and he would get shut straight away. Who would he bring in? Sean fucking Dyche.

I have never screamed "fuck off you stupid fucking arse hole" at the top of my voice to a radio before. Until today.

• Upvote 1

Talksport (I know but it was on in the car) going to town on him, in particular over his treatment of Sturridge. Had some guy who sounded retired and from the home counties ringing in saying he's done with Klopp and he would get shut straight away. Who would he bring in? Sean fucking Dyche.

Tarquin is going to be devastated when he looks back at that.

What absolute lunatic would want Klopp out?

I think he's made some mistakes, and I think he's realising he had maybe a bit too much faith in a couple of players.

He will get it right, we will get it right.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

So far this year we have 12 points from 7 games.

Here are the points from the first 7 games for previous 10 title winners:

16/17 - Chelsea - 12

15/16 - Leicester - 12

14/15 - Chelsea - 19

13/14 - City - 13

12/13 - United - 15

11/12 - City - 19

10/11 - United - 13

09/10 - Chelsea - 18

08/09 - United - 14

07/08 - United - 14

You COULD make a very weak argument about us being in good shape to win the league. Doesn't really add up when City and United are on 19 points and +19 goal difference tho.

If you wanna play with stats, check out the average finishing position of teams with 12 points after 7 matches. I'll take a wild guess and say it's not 1st.

It's not rocket science.

Improve the defence, get a striker, find a solid midfielder.

Instead he buys another left back, doesnt play him, then spends £40m on a wingback who wants to play CM but instead brings him on as a winger with 10 mins left.

He shit out of a lot of big managerial calls this summer.

I'd say that's a fair assessment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know we have some shit players but that doesn’t excuse the total lack of organisation at the back. Look at Burnley and how organised they are. In theory, they’re players are ‘shitter’ than ours. KLOPPS an intelligent guy, I just don’t understand how he hasn’t made us at least 20% better at the back over the last six games. It’s frustrating as I can’t see any progress.

The last six games?

How about coming up 2 years??

Its all part of the shitness of modern football.

Today's players wont accept anything less than an outrageous match fee for win lose or draw. Any performance 'perc' is on TOP of these outrageous fees. I hate it.

We've seen the likes of Lovren turn up and play well - play solidly - so we KNOW he has better in him; but he does what he wants because he has no fear of any repercussions; you'll never get a consistent performance. Same goes for a lot of the players.

It's not the ONLY factor, but its one factor.

Unfortunately there's another factor. It's huge in its implications as well, and its this:

Our beloved Liverpool is no longer the club that players aspire to be at. We're a stepping stone club for players who want trophies.

Until we consistently win TROPHIES, regardless of who is in charge, we'll never build a great team. Catch 22.

Look at the players who passed through our ranks and never won a winners medal.

I rest my case.

All depends on the starting point though.

Zidane took over at Madrid and won the CL within 4 months. 

Madrid had dropped points in 7 games upto Jan 2016 when he took over.

From that point they only dropped points in 3 more games.

• Conte came in and won the title in his first season at Chelsea.
  • Ranieri came in and won the title in his first season at Leicester.
  • Mourinho came 4 points behind CIty in his return to Chelsea, and then won the league in the following season.
  • Pellegrini came in and won the title in his first season at Man City.
  • Mancini won the title at Man City within 18 months of taking over.
  • Ancelotti won the title in his first season at Chelsea.

You can hate the modern game all you want.

More to the point, each one of them had a GK who seemed to know what he should be doing..........

I think the reason he's playing Gomez there is because he is better defensively than Trent. He had a rough end of the game against Leicester and didn't play well against Newcastle at either end of the pitch. He had played well before those games though.

We went with more attack minded players against Newcastle with Coutinho in midfield and Moreno on the left of the defence so I can understand his reasoning in picking Gomez. It didn't work out though and he was out of his depth trying to create attacks on his own down the right. Not his fault like but it's hard to see who he will play there against the mancs now.

I think we got away with playing Trent against them last time because Martial was playing so badly. I personally wouldn't take the risk of putting him up against Rashford.

What absolute lunatic would want Klopp out?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Plenty giving doe-eyed looks towards the Newcastle bench in Sunday.  The Raffaratti are alive and well,. To be fair if Klopp fell under a bus he would be my first choice but I wouldn't dream of pushing him

• Upvote 4

Plenty giving doe-eyed looks towards the Newcastle bench in Sunday.  The Raffaratti are alive and well,. To be fair if Klopp fell under a bus he would be my first choice but I wouldn't dream of pushing him

I'll always have a soft spot for Rafa and in the right circumstances you never know, I'd far rather stick with Klopp.

His failing has been to be too loyal to a group of players who just aren't up to it.

We've been waiting almost 28 years now, deciding to jettison our manager because of a rough month is a bit too short-term even for me.

Gomez is absolutely horrific fullback, not only offensively but defensively too, he's too slow on the turn and doesn't have the acceleration to play there. Trent is a much better bet until Clyne's back. It was painfully obvious that Newcastle just let the ball funnel to Gomez.

A lot of sides did that to us last season in home matches with letting Clyne have plenty of the ball as well.