You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Backing the manager

G Richards

I've been pretty critical but weirdly I'm actually feeling pretty positive, more so the closer we get to kick off. I actually quite like the look of much of the squad, it's still thin in certain areas, a little lop sided but there's genuine quality in there.

Insanely I actually think Benteke, Firmino and Coutinho will make a pretty formidable front three and will suit the managers style of play. We'll end up being an inferior version of the 2013/14 side, which is fine by me. We'll challenge for 4th.

Our manager despite all the bullshit and grandeur's of technical genius is only really comfortable when he put's out sides that attack and this squad suits that requirement far more than last year's.

Still wish we'd bought a decent DM but it's just never going to happen.

I've been cynical about stuff like 'our identity' after last season's beginning and end. There were about 5 or 6 matches sometime round when the League Cup started. We ambled into three at the back and it looked promising, then we seemed to shrug our shoulders and act like a bunch of restless teenagers, rudderless and lost. Call that our United (H) moment.

I'm slightly less cynical now than I was after Palace away (the bad Palace away, not the good Palace away). I'm sort of idling around moderate cynicism now until someone tells us what the grown-up plan is -  more City (H) than Stoke.

• Upvote 1

As has been pointed out and in fairness acknowledged by the OP the notion of giving him a clean slate is ludicrous, hes going into the new season under intense pressure and if he's not then something is seriously wrong, I genuinely hope he can turn it around but he shouldn't be given too much time, if we start the season anything like the way we finished the last then break the glass, he's on the thinnest of ice, far from an ideal way to start the season but there you go.

I think you'll find even the most hate-filled anti Rodgers posters on here will be fully behind the team come kick off at Stoke, or for any other fixture to be honest. The passion for the club overrides all this internet warrior nonsense.

However, if, on the other hand your admirable rallying cry was aimed at bringing unison and togetherness on the forum inparticular, forget it!

We could win the treble and you'd still get the usual supsects battling it out in faux fury at net spend and, more importantly beans on a fry up.

I wouldnt have it any other way.....   

hehehehehehe Beans.

• Downvote 2

I was surprised to see the bookies still have Rodgers as favourite to be the next manager to leave. I thought the feeling was that he was fairly bombproof for another season unless he really Hodgsons it up.

I'd assume lots of people are putting money on him going because of the fixture list and the fact we might be adrift by the time Klopp calls an end to his sabbatical.

He should have been sacked. He wasn't,so hopefully he turns things around. He in no way deserves some sort of clean slate. He has to show improvement from the first game on. The fixture list is tough but it goes with the territory. If we're languishing near the bottom come November it will be time to make a change.

He should have been sacked. He wasn't,so hopefully he turns things around. He in no way deserves some sort of clean slate. He has to show improvement from the first game on. The fixture list is tough but it goes with the territory. If we're languishing near the bottom come November it will be time to make a change.

Rather judge where we are in May personally.

I was surprised to see the bookies still have Rodgers as favourite to be the next manager to leave. I thought the feeling was that he was fairly bombproof for another season unless he really Hodgsons it up.

I think that he is anything but bombproof.

Last season's end of season collapse, the humiliation at Stoke, last season's transfer misfires, and serial failure in Europe hang heavy. The sacrifice of Marsh and Pascoe smacked of desperation.

But I have hope. Milner is an excellent addition and vital to our fortunes following Gerrard's departure, Benteke will score goals, and might just coax SuperMario into action and persuade Sturridge that he might be better off playing football than sitting at home resting his sore knee.

I backed him for three years and there is no such thing as uncondtional support, not indefinitely anyway. Time he produces the goods. The money he spent thus far is good enough to win the league under a decent manager.

We were absolutely miles behind the current top 4 (and Spurs for that matter) when he took over and they've all spent more than us on transfers and wages since then (significantly so in the case of United, City and Chelsea). The only way a decent manager wins the league in those circumstances is if all the teams above us are managed by shite.

We were absolutely miles behind the current top 4 (and Spurs for that matter) when he took over and they've all spent more than us on transfers and wages since then (significantly so in the case of United, City and Chelsea). The only way a decent manager wins the league in those circumstances is if all the teams above us are managed by shite.

Excuses, excuses. We've spent about £50m less then most the top 4 and over £100m more than Arsenal in the last 5 years. All your saying only confirms that Brendan hasn't got the ability to bridge that gap. Glad to see you admit in a roundabout way that you have no faith in Rodgers achieving anything even having spent a fortune.

Probably waiting for the Bayern job, can't see him here. We'd probably hire Monk.

True, but then bookies' odds have nothing to do with what's likely, just where the money's going, and where they want it to go.

Even as an imaginary figure in the background, Klopp's presence ratchets up the pressure on Rodgers.