You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Superb again tonight and it's par for the course as to why I'm presuming that's why his thread hasn't been bumped again .l

Or maybe it just gets thrown up when we get beat .

Superb attitude tonight to ride that foul that fat fuck Barclay who (if Souness was still playing Ross you wouldn't be for much longer) could only get near him by putting in a shirhouse tackle......

Good man,  Yeah Jordan did very well tonight.

Superb again tonight and it's par for the course as to why I'm presuming that's why his thread hasn't been bumped again .l

Or maybe it just gets thrown up when we get beat .

Superb attitude tonight to ride that foul that fat fuck Barclay who (if Souness was still playing Ross you wouldn't be for much longer) could only get near him by putting in a shirhouse tackle......

Agreed right up to the word "shirhouse".
  • Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Yep, didn't see a superb performance from him at all. Shit first half, better in the second.

TBF it was that type of game where nobody put in a great performance, not very good as a team for the first 30 minutes but then controlled the rest of the game with a lot of steady performances, Henderson was no exception and showed some grit. 

TBF it was that type of game where nobody put in a great performance, not very good as a team for the first 30 minutes but then controlled the rest of the game with a lot of steady performances, Henderson was no exception and showed some grit. 

He spent the first half passing the ball to the opposition and hammering it back to the keeper putting him in trouble. Improved in the second half, as did most of our players.

And Klavan, 100%, put in a great performance. He had to in no small part down to how fucking awful the midfield was in the first half an hour.

Guest Pistonbroke

He spent the first half passing the ball to the opposition and hammering it back to the keeper putting him in trouble. Improved in the second half, as did most of our players.

And Klavan, 100%, put in a great performance. He had to in no small part down to how fucking awful the midfield was in the first half an hour.

Klavan was no doubt our MOTM but it wasn't a great performance imo, a very good one mind given the situation. 

I think it was much more a case of being lucky than being good to "ride" that tackle.  He had his foot planted, had the grass not been wet and/or had his studs actually caught it would have broken his leg for sure.  If you watch it in slow-motion you can see his foot just glides along the surface which means that most of Barkley's momentum just pushes Hendo's foot along rather than impacting it.

As for his talent, he's been massively improved this season, it must be said.  However, that still doesn't remove the fact that his position is still probably the second- or third-easiest to improve upon in our squad when everyone is fit.  You could improve on Milner at LB pretty easily in the longer term and then it's down to Lovren, Karius and Henderson that you'd go after next to replace with someone better.

You can easily see what Klopp is trying to do in the transfer market and how he's building the squad, though.  He saw that our main weaknesses last season were at centre back, wide forward and midfield and got Matip, Mane and Wijnaldum to replace them.  Now we have a squad with no "deadwood," only decent players that can be improved upon.  

Henderson is probably in that group, I would never have been as harsh on him as the OP was but I do think it's probably foolish to pretend we can't do better (and must do better in the long-run if we want to be winning the league regularly).

• Upvote 1

Poor first half, which the whole side were.

Second half however he showed real leadership.  Always wanted the ball.  Full of energy.  Winning tackles, making interceptions.  Always an option.  But he was one of few (Klavan being another), who got stuck in and I thought those two were our best players.

Definitely helped Barkley with his comments.  But he did well to get up from that and help us win.

He does however at times need to not always play the easy pass to Lovren or Klavan.  When he has space, he's the better player in possession than those two and he should be the one looking to feed our attacking players not the CBs.

I have no problem with playing simple passes.  One the whole, it is more often than not, the right thing to do.  But playing a simple pass to our CBs and making them then play the harder pass when they have less options as they are wide - I think Henderson needs to not do that quite as much as turn on the ball himself and make the pass.  He's got the talent, he's shown it time and time again.  He just needs to sometimes, at tthe right times when he has time and space, to take the responsibility - as he's good enough.

Wijnaldum is the same.  He almost plays within himself at times.  When Wijnaldum can be a regular match winner, if he just had a bit more belief and directness, almost selfishness in the final third to make things happen.

It's ultra critical on both players, two key players in getting us to 2nd in the table in one of our best Premier League starts for 20 years. But if we want to improve I think we have to be really critical at times.

• Upvote 4

Thank Christ he wasn't seriously injured after that tackle. We've nobody to replace him with.

Still gets a lot of criticism for not being as good as our greatest ever midfielder. He's playing an important role and captaining a Liverpool side still in the title race halfway through the season. Good lad.

• Upvote 2

Thank Christ he wasn't seriously injured after that tackle. We've nobody to replace him with.

Still gets a lot of criticism for not being as good as our greatest ever midfielder. He's playing an important role and captaining a Liverpool side still in the title race halfway through the season. Good lad.

I reckon Can could do a decent job as a holding mid.

I think forward pass count is slightly misleading when judging a midfielder's passing ability. Hendo I think makes more forward passes a game than say Hamann used to, but he isn't a better passer than Didi.

I'm not judging his ability. I'm questioning his courage on the ball.

Didi was a better player (in part, at least) because he was a strong character.

I reckon Can could do a decent job as a holding mid.

I'm not so sure. The way I see it, a holding mid can be slow in terms of top speed, but needs to be able to anticipate what's going to happen and be mobile enough to pass quickly and cover those first few yards in a snap. That's pretty much the opposite of Can's game, he's got many good attributes but he's more of a locomotive that takes time to get going. Plus, I'm not seeing the positional awareness in his game, though he's still young.

Hendo I think makes more forward passes a game than say Hamann used to, but he isn't a better passer than Didi.

Yes he is, easily.

Hamann was better at tackling, winning cheap free kicks, in his positioning & shielding the back four as he was a true DM.

But Hendo is a much better passer than Didi was.

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)