You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

47 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's a group of (I assume, diving studs-up into stereotypes) middle-class, nothing-better-to-worry-about, #FBPE "b******s to Brexit" (they would use asterisks) cunts who run an annual whip-round to buy EU hand-flags for people at the Last Night of the Proms.

Normally, and rightly, I would sneer at such point-missing twattery, but the stink of boiled gammon all over Twitter makes it almost worthwhile.

This article made me snigger- https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/sep/10/brexiters-in-outcry-after-crowds-wave-eu-flag-at-last-night-of-the-proms

Fucking snowflakes- how dare people exercise their right to wave whatever flags they want.

16 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

You and your kind have fucked this country right up the arse.

Don't be overdramatic. The country was on its way down the shitter long before that vote. The EU didn't stop Ian Duncan Smith unleashing Universal Credit on the nation, and it didn't stop the massive rise in the poor needing  food banks. 

You think it's been going lovely over France, Germany and Italy? 

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

He's talking about firms investing in machinery to do jobs that would otherwise be done by people.

Yay!

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He is but he's also talking about something else in those final two paragraphs as well. 

Not really: he's talking about "more expensive labour" because the lower wage jobs (the only ones, remember, that were negatively affected by EU membership) will be wiped out and automated.

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's a group of (I assume, diving studs-up into stereotypes) middle-class, nothing-better-to-worry-about, #FBPE "b******s to Brexit" (they would use asterisks) cunts who run an annual whip-round to buy EU hand-flags for people at the Last Night of the Proms.

Normally, and rightly, I would sneer at such point-missing twattery, but the stink of boiled gammon all over Twitter makes it almost worthwhile.

Mad as a box of frogs.

Screenshot_2023-09-11-18-00-04-39_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

36 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Not really: he's talking about "more expensive labour" because the lower wage jobs (the only ones, remember, that were negatively affected by EU membership) will be wiped out and automated.

Will these jobs really be wiped out? I doubt it, I doubt it very much. Theyve been saying something similar since the 50s  I can't see machinery building the homes the country needs to live, or replace the nurses, the manual and agricultural workers etc.

AI is imo more of a worry.

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Will these jobs really be wiped out? I doubt it, I doubt it very much. Theyve been saying something similar since the 50s  I can't see machinery building the homes the country needs to live, or replace the nurses, the manual and agricultural workers etc.

AI is imo more of a worry.

So the bit you highlighted as "particularly interesting" isn't going to happen?

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

Everyone knows it's an utter shit show,which is why they are having a meltdown over a few flags.

Turns out he's wrong about the flag, anyway: because it's actually the flag of the Council of Europe (of which the UK is still a member) that planning regulation doesn't apply.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Arniepie said:

You could probably write a book on stuff like this

https://twitter.com/martinkoder/status/1701137266653995238

All the people politely pointing out the error of his ways, and he won't learn a thing. Brexit cannot fail, it can only be failed - and that's the case on the left as well as the right.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Tens of thousands marched in London yesterday to support the Rejoin campaign.

Total silence on the BBC - even on the Brexit page of the BBC News website.

They did, however, manage to cover a couple of hundred people in London protesting about some dogs.

the bile and vitrol they got on twitter was quite something.

a woman posted a picture on a train and got bombarded with utter abuse.

36 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Tens of thousands marched in London yesterday to support the Rejoin campaign.

Total silence on the BBC - even on the Brexit page of the BBC News website.

They did, however, manage to cover a couple of hundred people in London protesting about some dogs.

Rejoin this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/21/revealed-one-in-three-europeans-now-votes-anti-establishment

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/21/rightwing-extremist-views-increasingly-widespread-in-germany-study-finds

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/21/europe-welcome-threat-eu-far-right-refugees

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/21/the-guardian-view-on-europes-politics-volatile-and-drifting-rightwards

And before the usual hand wringing 'nothing to do with the nice people in Brussels guv'  the EU spent the past decade pushing for austerity, privatisation and fiscal constraints. The result was one in four young Europeans unemployed and the rise of right wing across the continent. 

Italy, Germany and France have seen far right parties make huge gains this past few years and they're still on an upward trajectory.

In contrast the British public (although not our politicans) seen to be moving to the left.

20230923_071935.jpg