You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ludogorets v Liverpool UEFA CL Wed 26 Nov

Guest davelfc

Guest davelfc

34docvt.jpg

When is a must-win game not really a must-win game? When Liverpool travel to Sofia on Wednesday night.

It says much about the contrary nature of a difficult campaign for Brendan Rodgers and his players that victory in Bulgaria against Ludogorets is not imperative to secure progress to the group stages of the Champions League.

While reliant on Real Madrid maintaining a 100% record throughout the group, the Reds could draw in midweek and still qualify from Group B.Even a defeat against Ludogorets may not be fatal, although qualification would depend on an unlikely sequence of events.

Six points, though, was enough for Zenit St Petersburg to go through last season, the lowest total of any team not to be eliminated at the group stage.

After that, there are a gaggle of teams for whom seven points were enough, including Liverpool in 2001-02 when the second group stage was still being used.

Rodgers’ side need to win at least one of their final two games.

Realistically, four points from six is the bare minimum, although a victory against Ludogorets and a triumph by more than one goal against Basel at Anfield in the final group match on December 9 would ensure Liverpool control their own destiny.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-win-against-ludogorets-8164332

Don't really know what to say about that article from the echo. 

Well its easy to say disregard this game but we need a win to get the confidence going. I'd go back to basics (and any other cliches people want to throw in) for this game and play our strongest team (if we have one!).

I'd go 4-4-2. Presuming our strongest team is fielded, I'd then play this in the league. Of course if it goes tits up again, all bets are off.

Do we have to win against Ludogorets ?  We have to win against some cunt at some point.  Otherwise being managerless will become a reality sooner rather than later.

We have to play to win, we can't defend for shit anyway so we might as well give it a shot.  Hell, we did alright against RM at their place, we should still have enough about us to twat this lot.

But it's inevitable that we'll shit the bed..........

Guest davelfc

Was hoping to not watch us so soon.

We have a chance to put that embarrassing debacle from yesterday behind us and get a whole new embarrassing debacle to see us to the weekend. 

• Upvote 1

Lallana:

We win and lose as a team; we need to stay together, keep fighting and keep working for each other. We have got a tough game on Wednesday so we all need to be together for that one.

“We need to win to stay in the competition, so the lads will be fighting for their lives to do that. It’s important, not just for ourselves, but for the fans, the manager and everyone involved with Liverpool Football Club.”

Our finest hour it is, then. Wonder if Rodgers will start him.

Liverpool have not lost 5 games in a row since 1953. So Rodgers can't even throw this one. We have shipped 21 goals in our last 10 away games under Rodgers. I guess that explains why Rodgers was so ecastic after only shipping 1 at Real Madrid.

wow you really do relish in the failure of this football club.

• Upvote 5

It's a chance to dig in.  We were doing OK at Madrid, (although they were in 3rd gear).  The players selected need to turn up though.  In a sane world, they'd be playing for their places at the weekend with the current situation.  Sanity ?  Our current plight resembles a Monty Python sketch on acid, they'd probably win and all get dropped for the weekend.

But we're not going to get much of a better chance to beat up some minnows and restore some belief.

If we get twatted here, I'm finding a nice cave for the Bournemouth game.

Now for the first time I know how my missus feels about football.

Another game of football there always on aren't they?

I'm back to how I felt under Hodgson just not looking forward to watching us but watching us anyway and making myself more miserable.