You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Little Things That Brighten Your Day

AngryOfTuebrook

34 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Oh yeah. Plus babysitting duties.

Got Granddaughters here the last week, tell them "same as everywhere, electric gone up here 150%"

All week the goto when they're warm is bedroom and aircon on, dreading the bills.

My brother used to spend more on his MiL at Christmas and her birthday than he did his missus. 

Always said there was no way he could afford to fall out with her the amount she did for them and the thousands she saved them in child care. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Oh yeah. Plus babysitting duties.

Got Granddaughters here the last week, tell them "same as everywhere, electric gone up here 150%"

All week the goto when they're warm is bedroom and aircon on, dreading the bills.

We've just started looking after the grandson for half a day on Mondays. Pisses me off he's at MiL the other 3 full days a week even if it is tiring. He's a little love, a red and very intelligent. We both miss him when we dont get to see him as often as others. We'll have to have the heating on when it gets colder. Has to be done and know exactly where you're coming from.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

My brother used to spend more on his MiL at Christmas and her birthday than he did his missus. 

Always said there was no way he could afford to fall out with her the amount she did for them and the thousands she saved them in child care. 

Breakfast and after school clubs are stupidly expensive.

Add £12 per morning or per afternoon for nursery should you only qualify for 15 hrs free per week, not forgetting this is per child and you may as well not work.

Rescued an auld fella who had fallen into a busy road on Saturday afternoon. His walking frame had slipped and he smashed his face in and said he had hurt his ribs. The Mrs insisted we took him into the hospital ourselves as opposed to him waiting for an ambulance and we then sat with him in A & E for a few hours until the staff managed to get hold of his daughter. Turns out he is 88 and has vascular dementia, all he kept doing is opening his wallet and trying to give me some money, which obviously we didn't accept. Rang the hospital today and they said he had cracked a rib and badly bruised his eye socket, but given the state he was in at the time that came as an absolute relief. His daughter kept saying "thank god you were there, most people would just drive past" - nobody in their right mind is gong to drive past an auld fella in that state, absolutely baffles me how anyone could.       

• Upvote 14

6 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Rescued an auld fella who had fallen into a busy road on Saturday afternoon. His walking frame had slipped and he smashed his face in and said he had hurt his ribs. The Mrs insisted we took him into the hospital ourselves as opposed to him waiting for an ambulance and we then sat with him in A & E for a few hours until the staff managed to get hold of his daughter. Turns out he is 88 and has vascular dementia, all he kept doing is opening his wallet and trying to give me some money, which obviously we didn't accept. Rang the hospital today and they said he had cracked a rib and badly bruised his eye socket, but given the state he was in at the time that came as an absolute relief. His daughter kept saying "thank god you were there, most people would just drive past" - nobody in their right mind is gong to drive past an auld fella in that state, absolutely baffles me how anyone could.       

Nice one, bud.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Ha ha, that's why we moved to Turkey.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

Good on you mate.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just started picking up the grandson from nursery the last 2 weeks as his ma has just gone back to work. First time, he was expecting 'mama' to collect him and screamed the place down when he saw us until we got him to the car.

Today he was pointing at us and trying to say 'Grandpa' and 'Grandma.' Brought a tear to my eye, it did.

• Upvote 10

On 26/09/2022 at 22:41, dockers_strike said:

We've just started picking up the grandson from nursery the last 2 weeks as his ma has just gone back to work. First time, he was expecting 'mama' to collect him and screamed the place down when he saw us until we got him to the car.

Today he was pointing at us and trying to say 'Grandpa' and 'Grandma.' Brought a tear to my eye, it did.

Brought a tear to mine too.

On 26/09/2022 at 22:41, dockers_strike said:

We've got our two year old Grandaughter staying over on Saturday,for about the third time. It gives me great pleasure that she actually enjoys coming to our house despite having a much better house of her own. I used to enjoy visiting my own Nans' houses when I was a kid too. It was always so friendly and welcoming. Being a grandparent is ace,most of the time.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Last night I was sat facing the beach watching the surf hit the sand on my own as my missus was in the room getting a shower. As i was drinking my beer someone behind me started playing a mandolin I dont smoke but I've never wanted to grant someone a favour and light up a cigar more. A moment of contentment.

Animal House Animal House1978 GIF - Animal House Animal House1978 John  Blutarsky - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 1