You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oscar Pistorius

Champ

In court - By Pumza Fihlani, BBC News, Pretoria

Today was a big win for the state prosecutors. Although they lost their bid on the sentence, Judge Thokozile Masipa gave the go-ahead for them to appeal the conviction. This was always Gerrie Nel's main intention.

The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) will now decide if the principles of law were applied correctly.

A panel of up to five judges has the power to not only overturn Judge Masipa's conviction but can also rule on a minimum sentence - which in the case of murder would be 15 years in prison.

Although the sentence appeal was denied, veteran advocate Mannie Witz told me that before the SCA this would make little difference. The appeal judges' power is such that they can also consider the sentence and find that the appeal should have been granted.

For Pistorius, this means the case is far from over and if the state has its way, the worst is yet to come.

• 5 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Oscar Pistorius is set to be released on probation on 21 August, South African prison authorities say, after serving 10 months in jail for shooting dead his girlfriend.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33049312

The Paralympic star was jailed for five years in 2014 for the culpable homicide of Reeva Steenkamp.

Ms Steenkamp's parents have said that the time he has served is "not enough for taking a life".

A state appeal against his acquittal on murder charges is due in November.

Under South African law, Pistorius is eligible for release under "correctional supervision" having served a sixth of his sentence.

South African Commissioner of Correctional Services Zach Modise told the BBC that the case management committee at the Kgosi Mampuru II prison in Pretoria, where Pistorius is being held, made the recommendation last week.

The decision is likely to mean a spell under house arrest for Pistorius.

Murder charge sought

The double amputee shot and killed Ms Steenkamp through a locked bathroom door at his Pretoria home, believing she was an intruder, he told his trial.

In March a Johannesburg court blocked his legal team's attempts to stop the prosecutors' appeal.

State prosecutors say Pistorius should have been found guilty of murder - if convicted he could face a much more lengthy jail term.

Tania Koen, a lawyer for Ms Steenkamp's parents Barry and June, said that while the two had forgiven Pistorius, "ten months is not enough".

"It also doesn't send out the proper message and serve as the proper deterrent as the way it should."

The decision will reignite a national debate in South Africa about the rule of law, says the BBC's Milton Nkosi.

Pistorius was born without the fibulas in both of his legs, and had surgery to amputate both below the knee while still a baby.

He went on to become one of South Africa's best-known sports stars, and was the first amputee to compete against able-bodied athletes at the 2012 London Olympics.

Guest Pistonbroke

It certainly makes a mockery out of the saying "Crime doesn't pay." Odds on him making a fortune from appearing on TV shows, writing a book or columns in some shitty rag? 

Guest Pistonbroke

With the society we live in today I'm guessing a lot of über cunts will lap it up if the murdering bastard takes up athletics again. Stadiums full, cunts making huge amounts of money off the back of it. I just hope someone chops his other leg off and leaves him in a gutter to bleed to death. 

With the society we live in today I'm guessing a lot of über cunts will lap it up if the murdering bastard takes up athletics again. Stadiums full, cunts making huge amounts of money off the back of it. I just hope someone chops his other leg off and leaves him in a gutter to bleed to death. 

How many legs has he got like?

Guest Pistonbroke

How many legs has he got like?

That is a major fuck up by me..hahaha, I meant to type arms but for some reason had legs in my thoughts. In my defence I am over 50 and have had a very taxing afternoon. 

• 2 months later...