You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I don't doubt there's good out there.. there always is and always will be but now more than ever the shite is promoted to an unbelievable extent and anyone else with real talent struggles for recognition. Cowell has a hand in this shit. I was expecting huge things when I heard about bugg when I listened to his album I was hugely underwhelmed but of course everything is personal taste. I don't think this age group has had their definitely maybe ( my age group album that made me drop the controller and buy a guitar ). I have the radio on in work and its plays endlessly shit music. You know what fuck it modern music is shite, there I'm my dad.

There has always been shit music though Bobby and I don't think it's any worse now than it was ten years ago. I've got more new music I'd like to listen to than I've got the actual time to do it.

Maybe it does your head in more if you're listening to it on the radio, I rarely listen to the radio and when I do I put Absolute Radio on so don't get much of the shit on that. I don't listen to any shite and just play what I think I'll like.

If you avoid the likes of Radio 1 and all the commercial stations and go to DAB channels like Radio 6 for example the hatred fr all things considered new in the mainstream disappears.

If it is played on Radio 6 and not Radio 1 it tends be ace. If it is played on Radio 1 it tends be good at first listen then you end up hating it after day 2 of constant repeat of how fucking amazing they are by that twat Fearne Cotton.

For example.

I couldn’t stand that Gotye because Radio 1 constantly bigged him up and were saying every hour, coming up "Eyes Wide Open" by Gotye when he first came out then I heard "Someone I Used To Know" while having Nachos in the Barcelona Hard Rock cafe the weekend just gone. Never heard it before and really liked it, which is pushing me to potentially listen to him more.

I think having all sorts of music and by music I mean what the record companies ram down your throat and allow to clog up the charts is a big part as to why people have a view on modern music similar to Bobby's.

If you avoid the likes of Radio 1 and all the commercial stations and go to DAB channels like Radio 6 for example the hatred fr all things considered new in the mainstream disappears.

If it is played on Radio 6 and not Radio 1 it tends be ace. If it is played on Radio 1 it tends be good at first listen then you end up hating it after day 2 of constant repeat of how fucking amazing they are by that twat Fearne Cotton.

For example.

I couldn’t stand that Gotye because Radio 1 constantly bigged him up and were saying every hour, coming up "Eyes Wide Open" by Gotye when he first came out then I heard "Someone I Used To Know" while having Nachos in the Barcelona Hard Rock cafe the weekend just gone. Never heard it before and really liked it, which is pushing me to potentially listen to him more.

I think having all sorts of music and by music I mean what the record companies ram down your throat and allow to clog up the charts is a big part as to why people have a view on modern music similar to Bobby's.

You can debate why people think that all day long, but the bottom line is; all modern music isn't shite. There is plenty of good stuff out there. If you listen to X Factor shite on the radio all day then I can understand that doing your head in. However, all that really means is the music YOU are listening to is shite.

• Upvote 1

The stuff in the charts, by and large, is shite, but there is loads of brilliant music coming out every day, and in the digital age it's more readily available than it has ever been. If you still peddle the 'modern music is rubbish' line, then it's probably because you're not prepared to spend some time to discover the good stuff, because it's most definitely out there.

As for Bugg, I think he's decent, but, for me, his talent is more as a guitarist than a songwriter. He's certainly someone who's put up on some pedestal by the masses because he's young, came from nowhere, can play an instrument and write his own stuff - but none of that is his fault.

• Upvote 1

Talented guitarist? He's ok at best. I think he's half decent at what he does. Certainly not shite. But he just hasn't for the voice to band backed tunes.

The thing I don't get about how Jake Bugg is lauded is that there are hundreds of lads and girls playing places in town who do what he does but better. He offers nothing different. He fits into a marketable pigeon hole.

Pot head looking scally who can pen a semi literate tune that rhe scallies and wannabe scene kids can understand and their Dad's can relate to because they had Dylan and the likes drummed into their ears as a kid but went down the dance dj path instead. The Dad's realise that their Dad's were right all along.

All I can see with this kid is Ed Sheeran all over again. But a more miserable version.

You can debate why people think that all day long, but the bottom line is; all modern music isn't shite. There is plenty of good stuff out there. If you listen to X Factor shite on the radio all day then I can understand that doing your head in. However, all that really means is the music YOU are listening to is shite.

Luckily I listen to fucking awesome music.

Luckily I listen to fucking awesome music.

Even utter cunts like you have to have some redeeming features.

Seriously though, it's like me saying " I've been watching Eastenders, American Idol, Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity and X-Factor, they are all shit and modern TV is just shite "

Now, all those programmes are crap. But it would be your own fault for watching them and not going and digging up some of the excellent TV that is getting made right now.

• Upvote 1

Even utter cunts like you have to have some redeeming features.

Seriously though, it's like me saying " I've been watching Eastenders, American Idol, Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity and X-Factor, they are all shit and modern TV is just shite "

Now, all those programmes are crap. But it would be your own fault for watching them and not going and digging up some of the excellent TV that is getting made right now.

I concur 100%

If I think it's shite, I don't watch it. Simple.

That sort of complaint about the above comes from lads/fellas who either have no control over the remote in their house, have no balls or have no interests or hobbies that they could do while the other half is watching those programmes.

She wa2tched shite, I play my guitar or listen to music.

I think hype and bandwagons have a lot to answer for. My dad was at Bugg's Liverpool gig earlier this year, or last (I wasn't paying much attention) and was sorely pissed off by all the posers in the audience. It seems that concerts these days are rammed with Nathan Barleys who are there just so they can Tweet or Fuckbook to their vapid cling-ons about how they're at so and so's gig. My impression is that it's these same gobshites who spend the whole gig streaming to and from the bar, getting progressively hammered, talking loudly and generally ruining the thing for anyone who's actually there to listen to the music.

I concur 100%

If I think it's shite, I don't watch it. Simple.

That sort of complaint about the above comes from lads/fellas who either have no control over the remote in their house, have no balls or have no interests or hobbies that they could do while the other half is watching those programmes.

She wa2tched shite, I play my guitar or listen to music.

She watches the soaps and shite like that when I'm at work and she has some free time before she goes to work. In the night we'll watch something we both like, which basically means I pick what we watch because she hasn't got a clue. If she wants to watch something crap on the telly of a night then I've got Virgin on the telly in the bedroom, my PS3, tons to read on my Kindle and loads of new music to listen to and Netflix on various devices.

Some people seem to get joy out of watching or listening to something they think is shit just to moan about it. The Homeland thread on here is a prime example. It was full of people saying - as series 2 ended - that it's been crap since series 1, it's unrealistic bla fucking bla and I'm just thinking " why are you watching it then? " Turn it off and put something on you like.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Talented guitarist? He's ok at best. I think he's half decent at what he does. Certainly not shite. But he just hasn't for the voice to band backed tunes.

The thing I don't get about how Jake Bugg is lauded is that there are hundreds of lads and girls playing places in town who do what he does but better. He offers nothing different. He fits into a marketable pigeon hole.

Pot head looking scally who can pen a semi literate tune that rhe scallies and wannabe scene kids can understand and their Dad's can relate to because they had Dylan and the likes drummed into their ears as a kid but went down the dance dj path instead. The Dad's realise that their Dad's were right all along.

All I can see with this kid is Ed Sheeran all over again. But a more miserable version.

I don't think it comes across that well in his songs, and as I don't play guitar I can't say exactly how good, but my mate who's a guitarist said he was shocked by how good he actually is, and showed me some video on YouTube. I think this is it, but not sure:

Now Ed Sheeran, that's some proper fucking shite right there.

She watches the soaps and shite like that when I'm at work and she has some free time before she goes to work. In the night we'll watch something we both like, which basically means I pick what we watch because she hasn't got a clue. If she wants to watch something crap on the telly of a night then I've got Virgin on the telly in the bedroom, my PS3, tons to read on my Kindle and loads of new music to listen to and Netflix on various devices.

Some people seem to get joy out of watching or listening to something they think is shit just to moan about it. The Homeland thread on here is a prime example. It was full of people saying - as series 2 ended - that it's been crap since series 1, it's unrealistic bla fucking bla and I'm just thinking " why are you watching it then? " Turn it off and put something on you like.

Negged you with my sausage fingers in error there Ape. Apologies. Can someone rectify my fuck up please.

• Upvote 1

Went to see him a few weeks ago when a friend had a spare ticket.

Got the distinct impression that I was being sold a product as opposed to hearing anything within a donkey's roar of being innovative. He and the songs seem like a something a marketing team put together to exploit an opportunity.

I'd imagine there was a presentation with a Venn diagram with overlapping circles like DORMANT OASIS MARKET and CASUAL SPORTSWEAR DEMOGRAPHIC in some office building two years ago.The fact that some of his songs are co-written also cranks my cynicism dial a few more notches. 

He's quite shit but stands out a little because music has not only become a sea of mediocrity its no longer music just image and some kind of wailing remixed with the shadow of a song that used to be.

I'm sure I heard on the radio the other day a song that started off as rythm is a dancer and turned into this is the rythm of the night. I cast it aside thinking surely someone hasn't mixed two songs because they contain the word rythm.

I heard this song on Saturday and it's by a band called Bastile. I had previously taken issue with them and their lead singer banging a drum mid tune. If you need another drum hitting when you already have a drummer, then your current drummer needs sacking as he is obviously not hitting his hard enough.

Oh and the song is shit.

Jake Bugg, while he appears he can pen a half decent song in terms of structure his voice is not suited to being backed by anything other than an acoustic guitar.

• Upvote 1