You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

And not a peep about Nemanja Matic choosing not to wear one.

They briefly mentioned it on Sunday Supplement. 

Melissa Reddy was really good. They basically all gasped at her not wearing one and she responded with "I'm South African, it means fuck all to me. It would be weirder, and disingenuous, if I was wearing one".

Personally, I don’t see why he needed to explain anything. But after all the shite with McClean Utd’s press office probably shat themselves.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/46099843

Nemanja Matic says he will not wear a poppy on his Manchester United shirt because it reminds him of when his village was bombed when he was 12.

The bombing, in 1999, was part of a Nato-led offensive to drive out Serbian forces from Kosovo.

Matic was the only United player not wearing a poppy during their 2-1 victory over Bournemouth on Saturday.

The Serb, 30, released a statement on Instagramin which he said he respected the right of people to wear poppies.

But he said he would again not wear one for this weekend's Manchester derby, which will take place on Remembrance Sunday.

In his statement, Matic said: "I recognise fully why people wear poppies, I totally respect everyone's right to do so and I have total sympathy for anyone who has lost loved ones due to conflict.

"However, for me it is only a reminder of an attack that I felt personally as a young, frightened 12-year old boy living in Vrelo, as my country was devastated by the bombing of Serbia in 1999.

"Whilst I have done so previously, on reflection I now don't feel it is right for me to wear the poppy on my shirt.

"I do not want to undermine the poppy as a symbol of pride within Britain or offend anyone, however, we are all a product of our own upbringing and this is a personal choice for the reasons outlined.

"I hope everyone understands my reasons now that I have explained them and I can concentrate on helping the team in the games that lie ahead."

Elsewhere, the Football Association and Stoke City are investigating a social media post by Potters winger James McClean in which he described some of the Championship club's fans as "uneducated cavemen".

The 29-year-old was abused by a section of the home crowd for not wearing a poppy during Saturday's 0-0 draw with visitors Middlesbrough.

53 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

McClean can do what he wants but let’s not forget this, as a player he is a non-entity.

This has been his only relevance.

I mean, he's never been a top player, but he's been a premier league player for most of his career, so why would you belittle that? Seems a bit petty. Are you that good at anything?

Been reported that he is being investigated by the FA for the ' cavemen ' tweet & he has kicked off on them saying they have ignored the abuse aimed at him for 7 years & are on his case immediately he posts a response.

Have a bit of sympathy with him to be honest. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Been reported that he is being investigated by the FA for the ' cavemen ' tweet & he has kicked off on them saying they have ignored the abuse aimed at him for 7 years & are on his case immediately he posts a response.

Have a bit of sympathy with him to be honest. 

The abuse he gets is vile.