You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest San Don

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd pay him 30K per week, with a 1M bonus at the end of the season (taking it effectively to 50K per week) IF certain conditions are met. The conditions should be first team appearances, goals, training well etc. This will hopefully reward him with what he is worth but also keep enough room to incentivize him and aid his continued development.

I have a lot of sympathy with the 'too much too young' line of thought, although it is tough to keep that in check because of player power and agent power.

I find this whole situation moronic. The club doesn't want to pay him more than x amount? Its "disgusting" how Sterling is bargaining for y amount? Why is any of this being played out in public?

Whilst I would never condone paying him £50k a week (and indeed, I doubt he has ever requested as much), the club are going to have to pay him more than they would any other 17 year old.

If your whole business/footballing model is to spend fuck all on established players and depend solely on fragile youngsters then be expected to pay a fucking premium for said youngsters. If you're going to depend on him day in day out then pay him what he deserves. £30k a week is a completely fair wage as he is probably the second name on our team sheet. Here isn't where the better financial management comes into play. Better financial management comes into play when you sanction the purchase of average cunts like Stew fucking Downing and pay him 90k a week.

I find this whole situation moronic. The club doesn't want to pay him more than x amount? Its "disgusting" how Sterling is bargaining for y amount? Why is any of this being played out in public?

Whilst I would never condone paying him £50k a week (and indeed, I doubt he has ever requested as much), the club are going to have to pay him more than they would any other 17 year old.

If your whole business/footballing model is to spend fuck all on established players and depend solely on fragile youngsters then be expected to pay a fucking premium for said youngsters. If you're going to depend on him day in day out then pay him what he deserves. £30k a week is a completely fair wage as he is probably the second name on our team sheet. Here isn't where the better financial management comes into play. Better financial management comes into play when you sanction the purchase of average cunts like Stew fucking Downing and pay him 90k a week.

Not having a go fellow but who's playing it out in public, it's just the press shit stirring he will sign.

I don't really get the "too much to young" line. If you're 17 will 50k go to your any quicker than 20 or 30k? Regardless of the amount he agrees on he will be in position to fuck it all up for himself if he so chooses. The length of the contract would be more of a concern to me than amount he's paid.

Not having a go fellow but who's playing it out in public, it's just the press shit stirring he will sign.

I understand what you're saying, but quotes from Rodgers continually addressing the matter are unneeded. They're adding fuel to the fire.

My point was, though, this shouldn't have been an issue. We should have offered him something he was happy by now - so his agent, or whoever, isn't on the phone to papers.

Lets just hope they dont mess this up.

England's new teenage wonderkid Raheem Sterling has been interviewed by detectives in connection with an alleged attack on a woman.

Liverpool winger Sterling, 17, was quizzed under caution after he went to a police station by prior appointment.

The player, who made his England debut against Sweden last week, has not been arrested and police say investigations are continuing into the alleged assault.

A force spokeswoman said yesterday: “Merseyside police can confirm that a 17-year-old male from the Woolton area was interviewed under caution following a report of an assault on Friday, November 2.

“A 27-year-old woman received slight injuries during the incident in the Liverpool 8 area.

"The investigation is ongoing and no formal action has been taken.”

On pitch: Raheem Sterling has been on superb form for Liverppol

Alex Livesey

It is understood that Sterling was quizzed by police on Merseyside on November 5, three days after the alleged bust-up.

Last night Liverpool FC declined to comment on the police interview.

Jamaican-born Sterling, who will turn 18 on December 8, is the fifth youngest footballer to represent the senior England team.

He joined the academy at QPR when he was 10 but two years ago he was snapped up by the Anfield club and made his debut eight months ago.

Sterling’s explosive performances this season earned him the international call-up and he is expected to sign a new £30,000-a-week contract with the Reds.

He has a daughter, five-month-old Melody Rose.

If we do end up giving Sterling a contract worth £30k+ will this not lead to the other young lads making an impression in the first team wanting decent money too?

Sterling has clearly made the biggest media impact for the club, and also happens to be the youngest to do so, but if I was Wisdom or Suso (I believe he signed a new contract recently) i'd be watching this all closely. I wouldn't expect them to get a contract on equal terms to Sterling, but i'd guess they'd want more than they are currently getting.

The above article about Sterling being arrested is not going to help his negotiations though.

Pay him what he's worth. Right now he's one of our best players and his huge potential. Let's not lose him because we're reluctant to pay a kid a lot of money. He's better than Downing' date=' Cole and a few other senior players and they all earn much more than he does. That doesn't seem right.[/quote']

By your logic you're saying pay him what he's worth, so if he goes backwards can we reduce his wages again? No, thought not. A lot of prodigies have fallen by the wayside when they've been given too much too soon, so pay him a decent wage (he's 17, he should be on fuck all but hey, this is recession proof millionaire kickball) and make him work for more. If City et al want to pay him scandalous money, then fuck him off for a big wedge.

As you can probably guess, I'm sick to the back teeth of football and it's money. £50k a week for a fucking 17 year old with a handful of appearances? Jesus wept. The game is shit. John Barnes must be fucking gutted he played in the wrong era.

The market determines what we will have to pay him. If he can get 50K plus elsewhere then he will go.

Nobody is trying to take Sterling for a ride because he's 17. Let's get that straight.

For all the their innate shiteness, the likes of Downing and Henderson had a fair few years of experience at the top level before we signed them on big wages, whereas Sterling hasn't made 20 first team appearances yet, that's the issue for me.

Sterling and his agent need to be reasonable about this, Sterling will make millions of pounds a year if he can maintain this form, and we're not asking him to live on the bones of his arse forever. We're asking him to sign a £30k a week a contract and live on that meagre amount for a year, and then we'll talk again and no doubt offer double that. He'll still be earning more at 19 (remember he'll be 18 in three weeks) than the vast majority of current superstars in the modern game.

I think he'll sign it, he'd be a fool to think he can get the same exposure and experience at City or Chelsea. We've just made him a superstar and a full England international.

A8F2JWlCcAA4h1H.jpg

Oh dear. He looks like a twat.

I suspect the woman involved in this alleged assault was Brian Harvey's girlfriend, injured fighting an intruder for the contents of his wardrobe.

Let's hope Sterling doesn't also have that walking talking rectum's penchant for jacket potatoes, shit could get ugly.