You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

Fair play to the Libs. Alexander is one slip up away from getting jibbed. If that. 

There was talk of tactical voting to ensure that the Lib Dems got the seat. But, it looks like that wasn't even needed. The Green share of the vote went up. Labour's share dropped, probably due to voters abiding by the calls for tactical voting. But, apparently, the Lib Dems would have got over the line anyway, even without any tactical voting. It looks like there was a mass rejection of the Tories and that's always nice to see. 

Screenshot_20211217_093735.jpg

25 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

A green/liberal/labour coalition would certainly seen to be the most favourable outcome.

Whether it will happen though.

Far more likely with Starmer at the helm. It has to happen. Whatever it takes to get rid of these cunts 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Shows that its not a great result for Labour, questions deserve to be asked. Fair plays to the Libs, they won that without help.

Well, not necessarily, I don't think Labour ever had much of a chance here even though they were starting from a higher base. Just so long as people think twice in future about making simplistic predictions based on where people finished last time. I mean, the Tories were second in every Liverpool constituency in 2019.

On 13/12/2021 at 00:21, Strontium Dog™ said:

Obviously I do, but opposition to that kind of thing traditionally hasn't been on the Lib Dem side.

If I lived in a constituency where the realistic choice was between a Lib Dem/Green candidate or a Tory I would happily vote for the former, even though I'm traditionally a Labour voter - but I think it's worth responding to some of the things you've been saying in this thread of late regarding what you seem to consider the outrage of Labour campaigning in North Shropshire.

It would hardly be surprising if there was opposition among Labour (whether that be the national party, the local party, members or voters) given the way the Lib Dem and Liberals before them have behaved; deciding in '79 to vote with the Tories in a vote of no confidence in Labour, going into a coalition with the Tories only 11 years ago, implementing an ideologically driven austerity programme in exchange for what - the miserable little compromise of AV? And what of the Lib Dems decisions in the last election, to put up candidates in knife edge Labour vs Tory seats like Kensington and Canterbury? Or Swinson's decision to support Johnson's call for a snap election in December '19, which led, as it was always going to, in a big Tory victory.

And, while, as I said, I personally would have no problem with voting tactically, how about protecting the democratic right of those who don't want to do that; Lib Dems who could never conceive of voting for Corbyn's Labour, or Labour supporters who baulk at the idea of voting for Tim Farron's Lib Dems? How would you have felt, as Lib Dem, had your party stepped aside (effectively or actually) in your constituency to allow a Corbynista a run at a moderate Tory? Would you vote for the Labour candidate? If not, then why should you expect trust and support from the other side?

And then there's the issue of formal pacts and agreements. As far as I'm aware, there were none in North Shropshire, as there weren't in the last election. Again, I would be happy if there were, but in the absence of these pacts, don't all candidates and parties have the moral right, indeed the fucking duty, to campaign hard, just as the ex Tory Sam Gyimah did for the Lib Dems in Kensington, thus giving the Tories back the seat that Labour had taken from them only two years before. What were your views on that at the time - was it wrong, or was it, with no pacts agreed, all fair in love and war. If the latter, what's different now? 

Lastly, there's the argument that, far from opposition to tactical voting coming from Labour, the reason we've had any 'anti-Tory' results from tactical voting, not least in Shropshire where Labour where 2nd in 2019, is because, whilst Labour supporters on the ground are open to voting Lib Dem to get the Tory incumbent out, the feeling is not reciprocated among most Lib Dem supporters. Ever felt that way, SD?

In short, SD, I think it's a tad rich to see you on here banging on about Labour fighting to win a seat given all I've posted above. 

Edited by Jack the Sipper
tarted it up a bit
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

If I lived in a constituency where the realistic choice was between a Lib Dem/Green candidate or a Tory I would happily vote for the former, even though I'm traditionally a Labour voter - but I think it's worth responding to some of the things you've been saying in this thread of late regarding what you seem to consider the outrage of Labour campaigning in North Shropshire.

It would hardly be surprising if there was opposition among Labour (whether that be the national party, the local party, members or voters) given the way the Lib Dem and Liberals before them have behaved; deciding in '79 to vote with the Tories in a vote of no confidence in Labour, going into a coalition with the Tories only 11 years ago, implementing an ideologically driven austerity programme in exchange for what - the miserable little compromise of AV? And what of the Lib Dems decisions in the last election, to put up candidates in knife edge Labour vs Tory seats like Kensington and Canterbury? Or Swinson's decision to support Johnson's call for a snap election in December '19, which led, as it was always going to, in a big Tory victory.

And, while, as I said, I personally would have no problem with voting tactically, how about protecting the democratic right of those who don't want to do that; Lib Dems who could never conceive of voting for Corbyn's Labour, or Labour supporters who baulk at the idea of voting for Tim Farron's Lib Dems? How would you have felt, as Lib Dem, had your party stepped aside (effectively or actually) in your constituency to allow a Corbynista a run at a moderate Tory? Would you vote for the Labour candidate? If not, then why should you expect trust and support from the other side?

And then there's the issue of formal pacts and agreements. As far as I'm aware, there were none in North Shropshire, as there weren't in the last election. Again, I would be happy if there were, but in the absence of these pacts, don't all candidates and parties have the moral right, indeed the fucking duty, to campaign hard, just as the ex Tory Sam Gyimah did for the Lib Dems in Kensington, thus giving the Tories back the seat that Labour had taken from them only two years before. What were your views on that at the time - was it wrong, or was it, with no pacts agreed, all fair in love and war. If the latter, what's different now? 

Lastly, there's the argument that, far from opposition to tactical voting coming from Labour, the reason we've had any 'anti-Tory' results from tactical voting, not least in Shropshire where Labour where 2nd in 2019, is because, whilst Labour supporters on the ground are open to voting Lib Dem to get the Tory incumbent out, the feeling is not reciprocated among most Lib Dem supporters. Ever felt that way, SD?

In short, SD, I think it's a tad rich to see you on here banging on about Labour fighting to win a seat given all I've posted above. 

Post of 2021. He’s making up lies as we speak. 

I want a coalition but that doesn’t mean I would ever trust the Lib Dems after the lies they told and their part in destroying the country. They could have kept Johnson out and helped prevent Brexit, instead Swanson was either on a payroll she shouldn’t have been or fell for the anti Corbyn lies like every other dickhead