You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nuri Sahin

WhiskeyJar

Jesus Christ, 24 year old and only got 12 games? Think he should've had plenty more time. Can't believe he's back where he started! Not happy really, hope he does well, he'll probably end up back at a decent club abroad like Podolski did after returning to his original one. Weird.

Ahhh, it's loan then probably back to Madrid. Ok, sorry.

What a waste, someone at the club obviously had not done their job properly before we signed him on loan in the first place.

He'll probably be fine at another club once he's got a run of games, which he clearly didn't get here. He might not get it at Madrid either and might move on again if he goes back, but could still turn out to be a good/great player at a club that will play him regularly.

What a waste, someone at the club obviously had not done their job properly before we signed him on loan in the first place.

This was work of genius compared to our recent business in the market.

Don't see much wrong. Limited outlay, plugged a gap at a time we are transitioning but most importantly it became clear he was a bit slow for this league. He will do ok in Germany.

A few years ago we would probably have signed him for £15m and then had to pay him off to leave. Got no problem with this bit of business.

He'll probably be fine at another club once he's got a run of games, which he clearly didn't get here. He might not get it at Madrid either and might move on again if he goes back, but could still turn out to be a good/great player at a club that will play him regularly.

It's not often I agree with code but he is right, it was a massive waste, we chased him all summer even when it looked like he had fucked us off for arsenal.

No one is saying he is a shit player but he looked lightweight and slow from that first game against Arsenal when (I think it was) Song ran straight past him and he didn't even look bothered or like he had it in him to challenge for it.

God knows what the cost of that 6 months is but ill bet it's a good few million

A few years ago we would probably have signed him for £15m and then had to pay him off to leave. Got no problem with this bit of business.

My point is that instead of bringing in another central midfielder on loan, a position where we were stocked, why not use our efforts to bring in someone in a more urgent position?

When we actually wasted so much time on Sahin you would believe we knew what we were getting, but I have a feeling he was brought in because we thought we would be able to offload Henderson as well.

Either way I think its rather pointless to loan players for a club like us, especially if we dont really have a plan in how to use him and nothing tells me we did on this occasion.

My point is that instead of bringing in another central midfielder on loan, a position where we were stocked, why not use our efforts to bring in someone in a more urgent position?

When we actually wasted so much time on Sahin you would believe we knew what we were getting, but I have a feeling he was brought in because we thought we would be able to offload Henderson as well.

Either way I think its rather pointless to loan players for a club like us, especially if we dont really have a plan in how to use him and nothing tells me we did on this occasion.

I agree the plan might have been to offload Henderson, with Lucas injured, that left us with Allen, Jonjo and Stevie in the middle. I think they did the right thing and have done the right thing with offloading him so quickly as well.

There may not have been the players available on loan that we wanted.

I think its rather pointless to loan players for a club like us, especially if we dont really have a plan in how to use him and nothing tells me we did on this occasion.

Not in every case though. It worked out with Anelka and Mascherano, but it didn't with Sahin. Them's the breaks.

It was a sensible move bringing him in and he is a class player. But he needed time to adjust and find his role (many excellent players take up to a season), on loan with little prospect of keeping him long-term he wasn't going to get that.

Shame, but that's how it works out. The right move to make because if he clicked he would have been a fantastic pickup.

I don't understand why we agreed to bring him in, pay a loan fee, and then not play him. Now that the loan appears to have been cancelled by the player according to the BBC) do we get any money back, or do we write that one off too?

I believe we didn't pay a fee, just wages.

Unquestionably the right decision. He never looked suited to this league and was on silly wages. I'm glad that we could get rid, to be honest. It should free up enough money for us to bring someone else in on loan for the second half of the season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We have to be in for him at that price. £3.5m for someone who would transform our midfield, adding pace, power and goals? It's a no brainer. So, obviously, that means we won't sign him.

Apparently it's Euros. Stupid not to. Argh.

Guest San Don

Despite what people may think about Sahin being a worldie or the worst player there is, it highlights yet again that our identification of suitable players and manager's team integration failed yet again.

WTF is going on? Sahin should have been a very good signing for us. Instead he either wasnt selected, played 'in his position' or to his strengths.

Pretty dismall overall imho.