You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No risk & a proven winner Rafa Benitez

ronnie38

It's not flawed if the DoF has the footballing brains. Americans don't have 'Managers' they have 'Coaches'

I suspect Kenny found his role quite suffocating.

It is flawed if the people driving it haven't got the first clue about the game.

Which they haven't.

Boring boring Benitez. Almost as boring as Hodgson.

His intention was to get the team playing more attacking type of football on his last year, but that´s when the wheels started to come off from his wagon. Attacking football is an unknown territory for him, that´s why he failed. Nothing to do with cancer and aids. I repeat, nothing.

Hopefully he is not coming back, although I could accept him as Sporting Director or sorts, taking care of all the age groups etc. He could be good in that role, at least in theory.

That is such a ridiculous post. So you believe that regardless of the mayhem going on in the back ground and players leaving, Rafa was still to blame for our downfall during this time?

Madness!

Maybe you should go to a few games. Then you'd have first hand knowledge of what it was like to see boring Valencia bend us over and rape us in embarrassing fashion.

I was at Anfield for that. Incredible display, we looked like amateurs that night, they were hard, fast, dirty and fucking remorseless. I think it was only 2-0 to them, but it could have been more.

Best managerial audition ever.

They reminded me a bit of Harlem Globetrotters, but little pixie versions, just scrambling around and then all of a sudden four of them jump one on top of each other and twat it in the net.

This is funny, laughable, brilliant thing about the man they call Rafa, and those people who dont like him anymore.

Everyone wants Guardiola, apparently. Well, everyone forgets that Rafa was Guardiola long before Guardiola was Guardiola. Rafa's Valencia team could have given the best Barcelona team a run for its money.

And now we dont want the old Guardiola, we want the new one, because the old one is shit. Even though he got to two more CL finals after that. He's still shit. And political as well. Grrrr. Fucking bell end, just dossing around the Wirral like Jabba the Hut he is. Fuck him off and get that thinner version of him with the stubble.

Rafas Valencia didn't play like that week in week out though just like we beat united 4-1 we didn't play like that every week nor beating Aston villa 5 nil a sign of how we played overall. I don't agree with the lads post Rafa knew how to attack but I'd say his overall tactic was caution. We played chess against the poorer teams when we should of steam rolled them a lot of times. I think Rafa is guilty of over thinking things. He's an excellent manager though and fsg should be interviewing him as a candidate alongside anybody else and form their own opinions.

The one thing we lacked was an Aimar. That was always the case, just having a creative genius in the number 10 role to link everything up the pitch.

Alonso linked everything further down the pitch, we just needed that person in the final third to do it as well. Gerrard never achieved it, though scored a lot of goals, but we never had a back-up for Gerrard anyway.

The best we played was when Benayoun was here, linking play up and floating around like a Jewish wasp.

I read an interesting article today about the Trequirista position and how it has now developed. Whereas once it was all about deep lying playmakers, it's now about doing the same role but further up the field, and that person also being big and strong enough to win the ball back further up the field. It highlighted the effect that Arturo Vidal has had at Juventus, while Pirlo has been the deep one while not winning many tackles, instead the tackling and defensive midfielding has been happening further up the field, where Vidal has won about a million tackles this season and still chipped in with a load of goals and assists.

They cite Yaya Toure as another example of this, storming forward and scoring and assisting, while still winning loads of tackles but not playing as a classic DM. Meanwhile Barry and someone else hold the fort in the middle and help put out fires where they can.

It all just means that you keep the pressure on the opposition and they dont get the time to pick passes from the back, and so the work of the classic DM is not so important anymore, because more often than not you're just cleaning up hopeful punts towards strikers from the opposition who are panicked into resorting to that due to the forwards and the advanced DM pressuring them as soon as they have possession.

This, in effect, is what Gerrard has done and still does, but I just get the impression he's lazy at times and just turns his back when the team loses possession.

You see Suarez during games, he wants to play the high defensive line and he expects his team to do it as well. He goes to close down defenders and when he gets there they just pass it just beyond him to a midfielder. Suarez always turns round and expects a team mate to have closed that player down already, like a good team should, but he ends up throwing his arms in the air in disgust because we just retreat and let them play through us. I feel so sorry for that lad, he deserves a good team around him, and a top manager. He's designed for Barca.

Rafas Valencia didn't play like that week in week out though just like we beat united 4-1 we didn't play like that every week nor beating Aston villa 5 nil a sign of how we played overall. I don't agree with the lads post Rafa knew how to attack but I'd say his overall tactic was caution. We played chess against the poorer teams when we should of steam rolled them a lot of times. I think Rafa is guilty of over thinking things. He's an excellent manager though and fsg should be interviewing him as a candidate alongside anybody else and form their own opinions.

I think why Kenny thought he could be the right man for the job was just this. He had seen how even top managers like Benitez were too happy to walk away with a draw, when they could have gone for a win, by just letting the players to express themselves against the lesser teams. Like in the good old times. Unfortunately it didn´t work out for Kenny, although it wasn´t that far to be honest. But I still think that I don´t want to see a manager like Benitez at the helm, just because of his cautioness. He probably recognized this flaw in his thinking himself, and was thinking of something different with the signings like Aquilani and Dossena, but if we look at his signings overall, I´m not too confident that they will ever work. His time is gone. GONE.

In the FSG system he doesn't need to be. The manager's job will be little more than a coach's job. The DoF will be the big job, the strategic job. If anyone wants Rafa back, they should be considering him for DoF, not Coach.

Rafa is, and will remain, a not so distant memory. I'm starting to wonder if Anfield will become the same.

I think that's probably spot on. Rafa DoF over Martinez with Segura would be a harmonious trio. I have a grasping at straws hope that the lack of Rafa press comment is him showing he can shut up, in some kind of audition for the job, one can only hope.

Sounds like VG is the fave for DoF yet he's notoriously awkward and controlling.

Didn't it take a court case to get him off the board at one of his Dutch clubs ? AZ ?

I think that's probably spot on. Rafa DoF over Martinez with Segura would be a harmonious trio. I have a grasping at straws hope that the lack of Rafa press comment is him showing he can shut up, in some kind of audition for the job, one can only hope.

Sounds like VG is the fave for DoF yet he's notoriously awkward and controlling.

Didn't it take a court case to get him off the board at one of his Dutch clubs ? AZ ?

I can see two fatal flaws in that though.

1 Martinez apparently wont work with a DOF.

2 Never let Benitez within a 100 mile of any transfer funds.

I can see two fatal flaws in that though.

1 Martinez apparently wont work with a DOF.

2 Never let Benitez within a 100 mile of any transfer funds.

haha are you for real

Current 1st team

Reina £6 mill

Agger £5.8 mill

Skrtel £6.5 mill

Lucas £5 mill

Johnson£17.5mill total £40 mill

Carroll £35 mill

Henderson £16 mill

Downing £20 mill

Adam £6mill Total £77 mill

Keep peddling the myth son.

Of course, the clever way to address the problem, from FSG's perspective, is to separate the fans into 2 camps at the ground on matchday. Group A see's a huge Stalin-esk painting of King Kenny, overseeing events as DoF/Manager/Coach, allowing his passionate supporters to rise as one in song, filling the opposition with dread.

Group B, meanwhile, see's a huge Stalin-esk painting of Rafa, overseeing events as DoF/Manager/Coach, allowing his passionate supporters to rise as one in song, filling the opposition with dread.

The two groups are never allowed to mingle.

Nobody will ever see the real breathing walking KK or the real breathing walking Rafa - It's the thought of what you have, rather than the reality of what you don't. The actual DoF (Van Gaal or whoever) and the actual Coach (Martinez or whichever mr average is hired) are forever locked behind closed doors; never to be seen, prisoners of their own ambition.

We'd win everything.

haha are you for real

Current 1st team

Reina £6 mill

Agger £5.8 mill

Skrtel £6.5 mill

Lucas £5 mill

Johnson£17.5mill total £40 mill

Carroll £35 mill

Henderson £16 mill

Downing £20 mill

Adam £6mill Total £77 mill

Keep peddling the myth son.

Whats with the Kenny signings been used?

I thought it was to do with Rafa?

You forgot the broken Italian to.

Yes, and all the players now at Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

And Babe,l Keane,the silver shell suit,Morrienties and so so many unflushable turds.

I wouldnt mind Rafa back in all honesty as the only reason I wanted him out at the time,was the bizzare things he was doing before he left.

If he has stopped his constant dummy spitting and now sees when he has made mistakes,then there would be nobody better.

He needs to get back into management soon as for someone of his ability,the fact nobody seems to be going out of there way to sign him points to the issues he seems to have.

His wheeling and dealing was pretty good overall at the start and he tendered to shift on his bad signings as well.

Personally I think for him to work properly he needs Pako a bit like Clough needed Taylor but only time will tell.