You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lawro made a mistake there, but I accept his explanation.

As for the Sun thing, I fully support the ban, but it's a nuanced situation. Kelvin Mackenzie was in charge and he's long since gone. The employees have all changed over the years too. So what is still the same? Ultimately it is the owner. I think Murdoch is still the owner, if you go a few levels up to News Corp, so that's where the ultimate responsibility lies.

So if it goes all the way up to Murdoch, why don't we have a ban on other Murdoch ventures? He has his fingers in an awful lot of pies - newspapers, TV channels, film companies. As an example, how many of us enjoy films made by Twentieth Century Fox? Were we aware that we are enriching Murdoch by watching them?

Don't get me wrong here. The Sun's coverage was a disgrace, in particular the lies they told about the fans. That was the worst thing, so I fully support the ban.

With that said, my recollection is that other papers, while not going as far as the Sun, also handled the situation disgracefully. For example, the Mirror had images of fans being crushed. It was crass and insensitive... and deeply upsetting to people who were there, or other fans who had family members there on the day. (I think I've said on other Hillsborough threads that my two brothers were there on the day).

The Sun was the worst and I fully support the ban, and I'm glad that the people of Merseyside have put a dent (I don't know how much, but hopefully it's into the tens of millions by now) into their bottom line.

But, at the risk of being lauded a scab, or a Sun sympathizer or whatever, I do think our reaction as fans is sometimes a bit over the top. I'm not saying the ban should be ended or anything ridiculous like that, but I half wonder sometimes if we are becoming a caricature of ourselves.

Imo the boycott isn't about Murdoch feeling the sting in his pocket. It's about upholding a principle and standing up for ourselves in the face of sickening abuse. Lawro was very much a part of the club and city at the time of the Hillsborough disaster so he would know better than most the effect of the lies etc. and the reasons behind the boycott/strength of feeling towards that rag and everything it stood for then and in many ways still does today.

• Upvote 4

Here's Xabi's locker at Bayern Munich. Notice the yellow sticker.

Posted Image

Class act from a extremely classy player take note Lawrensen I'm not having this I didn't know what I was holding bollocks at all, I was offered a free copy of that rag a few weeks ago I politely told the woman what she could do with the tat she looked surprised when I said no way then I pointed out I was a Liverpool fan & wouldn't have it in my shithouse
  • Upvote 1

Don't believe him

https://streamable.com/tv2a

Banged to rights. He actually stops himself from saying what paper it is there. Bad.

And no matter what changes are made to the personnel at that rag, or however long it goes on, that paper will never be acceptable to me, nor should it be to anyone on, or with ties to, merseyside. Cunts' rag. It can fuck off.

• Upvote 4

You cant really mate,  Look at the footage and he can't honesty claim he didn't know it was the Sun. You can say that the reaction is over the top not that many would agree imo , He would have been so much better off if he just apologised , said it was thoughtless and I made a mistake instead of some lame excuse which makes it worse 

As for the Sun thing, I fully support the ban, but it's a nuanced situation. Kelvin Mackenzie was in charge and he's long since gone. The employees have all changed over the years too. So what is still the same? Ultimately it is the owner. I think Murdoch is still the owner, if you go a few levels up to News Corp, so that's where the ultimate responsibility lies.

So if it goes all the way up to Murdoch, why don't we have a ban on other Murdoch ventures? He has his fingers in an awful lot of pies - newspapers, TV channels, film companies. As an example, how many of us enjoy films made by Twentieth Century Fox? Were we aware that we are enriching Murdoch by watching them?

Don't get me wrong here. The Sun's coverage was a disgrace, in particular the lies they told about the fans. That was the worst thing, so I fully support the ban.

With that said, my recollection is that other papers, while not going as far as the Sun, also handled the situation disgracefully. For example, the Mirror had images of fans being crushed. It was crass and insensitive... and deeply upsetting to people who were there, or other fans who had family members there on the day. (I think I've said on other Hillsborough threads that my two brothers were there on the day).

The Sun was the worst and I fully support the ban, and I'm glad that the people of Merseyside have put a dent (I don't know how much, but hopefully it's into the tens of millions by now) into their bottom line.

But, at the risk of being lauded a scab, or a Sun sympathizer or whatever, I do think our reaction as fans is sometimes a bit over the top. I'm not saying the ban should be ended or anything ridiculous like that, but I half wonder sometimes if we are becoming a caricature of ourselves.

Over the top?! Caricature of ourselves?! Sorry, Padre, I like you but you're off the fucking planet here, never mind the reservation. Other papers may have initially bought the police narrative, but within a couple of days, as the truth was emerging, they apologised and started asking questions. No apology was forthcoming from the Sun, and when it eventually did it was weak as fuck and barely registered as an apology.

The Sun has continued down the years, with its campaign to demonise the weak, the helpless and the different. It's a nasty fucking cesspit of a rag - let's face it, rag is right as it's not a newspaper, just the premier UK outlet for the vile machinations of its owner. Make no mistake, if it could find a way of turning the Hillsborough narrative around it would take it with both hands.

• Upvote 8

Over the top?! Caricature of ourselves?! Sorry, Padre, I like you but you're off the fucking planet here, never mind the reservation. Other papers may have initially bought the police narrative, but within a couple of days, as the truth was emerging, they apologised and started asking questions. No apology was forthcoming from the Sun, and when it eventually did it was weak as fuck and barely registered as an apology.

The Sun has continued down the years, with its campaign to demonise the weak, the helpless and the different. It's a nasty fucking cesspit of a rag - let's face it, rag is right as it's not a newspaper, just the premier UK outlet for the vile machinations of its owner. Make no mistake, if it could find a way of turning the Hillsborough narrative around it would take it with both hands.

Spot on. It took The S*n more that two decades to make a 'proper' apology and even then it was to save face.

Genuine question - what part of my post should be reconsidered? Seriously not looking for an argument, just some help...

I think the Sun is a terrible newspaper, even if we take the whole Hillsborough issue out of the equation.

The lies the paper told about Liverpool fans were deeply offensive and besmirched a whole city, which added to the general national narrative that was against the city, aided chiefly by Thatcher's government.

I'm very glad for the ban and I wholeheartedly support it.

All I was trying to say... probably in a cack-handed way, given the reaction of some quality posters, is that I think we overreact a bit sometimes.

If that viewpoint has caused offense then I certainly apologize for that, as none was intended.