You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

that other welsh t@at

fruitbat

im sorry if this has already been posted

but on sunday i caught the scumbags celebrating, (only had the game on because the wife is from blackpool, and she sees them as her second team) and that midget is jumping up and down with the rest of them, having played the last five minutes of 11 games

he can now have premier league winner on his profile for doing less than he did for us in his last season

now i always thought you had to have played in 15 games to get a medal

when did it change

p.s. im not knocking him for what he did for us, as he brought us some good moments, but he was no god, and always put his own ego before any club he has played for

Doesn't matter - every single time he looks at it he won't be remembering his 20 goals in a glorious PL campaign, he'll be thinking about just how little he did to earn it and how he could hardly get a sniff of the pitch, even playing for one of the worst title-winning sides of the last 20 years. It's basically a gift to him from Ferguson, a consolation prize to offset the fact that he won't be getting another contract.

Please tell me he hasn't had enough appearances to win a CL medal if they somehow manage to overhaul Barca at the weekend, that really would be a joke.

I'd also love for someone to reassure me that Kenny's appreciation of all things LFC past doesn't extend to the possibility of bringing him here as cover next season since he's still only 31, is surely going to be released by the mancs and would likely take a pay-as-you-play deal.

Michael Owen hits out at Fabio Capello for his England exile

Kevin McCarra, Tuesday 24 May 2011 23.01 BST

• Manchester United striker toasts prospect of Italian's departure

• United have 'thoughts' about how to beat Barça, Owen adds

Michael Owen has revealed his frustration with the England manager, Fabio Capello, over the apparent end of his international career. The Manchester United forward was last capped in March 2008, when he played the second half of a friendly against France in Paris.

"I've given up trying to understand," Owen said. "I've not given up on England. It's come to an abrupt stop under this manager. You'd have a better idea than me [why that is]."

Owen, who believes he has no chance of a recall as long as the Italian is the manager, has become accustomed to not seeing his name when England squads are announced. "I was disappointed for the first squad I missed," he said, "a little bit less for the next one and after about three or four times, I didn't really expect to see my name. For the first couple of squads I looked at the players [named] and looked at what I had done. For the last dozen squads, I haven't looked. I don't even think about [being picked] now. Honestly.

"It's sad, really. If I keep getting up for something, then [find out] I am not in, I am just kidding myself."

Owen, 31, avoided tact entirely when the possibility was raised of his return once Capello had left the England job. "Cheers," he said. "I hope you are right."

The striker has had to tone down one ambition. Sir Bobby Charlton, who is now a United director, will not have his record haul of 49 England goals taken from him just yet. Owen, who has scored 40, said: "I am not going to kid myself. Every time I saw him I was 'closing on your record, Sir Bobby.' Now I just see him for who he is, a great man."

Owen has not pressed his England candidacy this season. His goal for United against Blackpool on Sunday was his second of a league campaign in which he has started once. His contract with United expires this summer and he does not know if he will be offered a new deal by Sir Alex Ferguson. "There has been one chat," he said. "I don't want to speak to the manager prior to a Champions League final. Straight after the match, then we'll talk."

Owen has not won the European Cup, having left Liverpool for Real Madrid the summer before the Anfield club won the trophy, when Steven Gerrard inspired a recovery from 3-0 down to beat Milan on penalties in 2005. But Owen now has the Premier League medal that has eluded Gerrard and others.

Owen said he felt the stress of being a peripheral member of the United squad. "I get into a poor cycle. Mentally I am up and down; I'm going to play then I'm not. Physically I would be eating too much, possibly energy foods. It's quite challenging for mind and body. Once in a while I get asked to play and I'm expected to play really well there and then."

There might not be a place for him on the bench against Barcelona at Wembley on Saturday if Dimitar Berbatov joins Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernández in Ferguson's thinking. At least Owen has been involved in the preparations. "We have thoughts on Barcelona," he said. "Three or four days before the Blackpool match our training sessions were about how to work tactically against Barcelona."

United are closing in on the signing of the Atlético Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea, for a reported fee of £17m. The 21-year-old will be favourite to take over the No1 shirt from Edwin van der Sar, who will retire after the European Cup final. An announcement confirming De Gea's signature is expected next week.

Link

What planet is he on? He's only defrosted for 24 hours by his club side when they want to give their third choice striker a rest.

It's true what he says about the England goal record though - if someone had told me in 2008 that he wouldn't have eclipsed that record by now I'd have thought they'd lost their mind.

Link

What planet is he on? He's only defrosted for 24 hours by his club side when they want to give their third choice striker a rest.

It's true what he says about the England goal record though - if someone had told me in 2008 that he wouldn't have eclipsed that record by now I'd have thought they'd lost their mind.

I'll tell you why Michael, because you're shit and made of peanut brittle.

I think his self is the only thing of which he is aware.

well put. just got sent this:

Why Michael Owen deserved everything that came his way (From The Northern Echo)

WHEN people discover I'm a sports writer, there's generally one thing they want to know. 'Who's the nicest person you've dealt with, and who's the person you've had least time for?'

Having spent seven-and-a-half years on The Northern Echo, there's plenty of people that fall into the first camp so it's incredibly hard to give an answer.

The second part of the query, however, is rather easier to respond to. One person stands out a mile - and to my mind, he got exactly what he deserved on Tuesday night.

"I knew I would get booed as that's what a lot of fans do," said Michael Owen, after his substitute appearance at St James' Park was accompanied by a chorus of catcalls. "But if they knew the facts, then they may have a different opinion."

Okay Michael, well here are some facts to be going on with.

In his four years at Newcastle United, Owen earned just short of £5m. He scored 30 goals and, in his final season, was unable to prevent the Magpies being relegated into the Championship.

He was also thoroughly objectionable from first moment to last.

The days of journalists and footballers rubbing shoulders as equals are long gone, but in my experience, the vast majority of players at Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough have done their best to assist the local and regional press.

They might not like us - particularly when they've just been given four out of ten on a Monday morning - but they accept that papers like The Northern Echo are a valuable link to the supporters that pay their wages.

Not Owen. From the moment he arrived in the North-East, Newcastle's record signing made it quite clear that he had absolutely no interest in speaking to the local media.

Interview requests were repeatedly turned down. Post-match questions were assiduously ignored. The entire regional press pack, not just The Northern Echo, were treated with a mixture of arrogance and contempt.

When Kevin Keegan made Owen captain, we thought things would get better. Instead, they became worse.

As Newcastle careered towards the Championship, their skipper became the invisible man, unable to affect things on the pitch because of injury, unwilling to display the leadership that was required off the park.

Gradually, supporters sensed an indifference to the club's plight, a lack of empathy for Newcastle United as an institution and a refusal to even begin to understand what the club means to the city and its surrounding region.

I could give dozens of examples of Owen being objectionable, but I think this one sums it up best.

Ahead of a derby game with Sunderland, we discovered that Owen had played in the same district youth team as Danny Collins.

I headed off to North Wales and interviewed the pair's teachers and some of the coaches who had guided them through their careers in youth football.

A few days later, I spoke to Collins, who could not have been more helpful as he reminisced about his youth, dug out a few personal old photographs and conveyed a great respect for the volunteers who had helped him as a youngster.

The hope was that Owen would do the same. Three interview requests went in to the player, his agent and Newcastle's media office. All three were turned down.

Even when we promised to ignore anything relating to the derby, and offered to only ask questions relating to his time in the same team as Collins, our pleas were rebuffed.

A day before the piece was due to run, my colleague, Paul Fraser, spotted Owen in the car park at Newcastle's training ground.

He introduced himself to the striker - four years on Tyneside, and he still didn't know who any of the local reporters were - and outlined the piece we had prepared.

"We'd just like to ask you about some of the people who worked with you at that time," he said. "Do you remember a guy called Cledwyn Ashford who managed your old Deesside football team? What impact did he have on your career?"

Owen looked Paul up and down. "No impact at all". And with that, his car door slammed shut.

That's why the booing on Tuesday night was one of my favourite moments of the season so far.

well Judas Bastard you probably haven't been named in an england squad since then as your record following on from then stands at

played 48 league games scored 13 goals

whilst Rooney

played 90 scored 49

Crouch

played 105 scored 23

Heskey

played 84 scored 11

Agbonlahor

played 87 scored 38

Carroll

played 78 scored 33

Bent

played 107 scored 53

Defoe

played 83 scored 32

Davies

played 114 scored 27

Zamora

played 76 scored 15

Carlton Cole

played 85 scored 25

so in terms of playing time the second least out of your fellow England squad nominations has played 28 more league games than you

whilst the goal averages stand at

Rooney goal every 1.83 games

Bent goal every 2.01

Agbonlahor goal every 2.28

Carroll goal every 2.36

Defoe goal every 2.59

Cole goal every 3.4

Owen goal every 3.69

Davies goal every 4.22

Crouch goal every 4.56

Zamora goal every 5.06

Heskey goal every 7.63

so despite the fact you are solely a goalscorer and offer nothing else to a teams play and have had less games to have to maintain a record 6 of your England rivals have better goal averages than you and one of them is Carlton bloody Cole! That is why your not in the England squad and will shortly sending out a new brochure begging for a club

Taken from Football365:

Poor Michael Owen. He never gets picked for England. He never gets picked for Manchester United either - but that doesn't seem to befuddle him quite so much.

"I've given up trying to understand," said poor Owen in The Guardian. "I've not given up on England. It's come to an abrupt stop under this manager. You'd have a better idea than me [why that is]. I was disappointed for the first squad I missed, a little bit less for the next one and after about three or four times, I didn't really expect to see my name. For the first couple of squads I looked at the players [named] and looked at what I had done. For the last dozen squads, I haven't looked. I don't even think about [being picked] now. Honestly. "

'The Manchester United forward was last capped in March 2008, when he played the second half of a friendly against France in Paris,' says The Guardian, who neglect to mention what happened after that underwhelming 45-minute cameo in Paris.

Owen was actually picked for the next squad for friendlies against the USA and Trinidad & Tobago but pulled out through illness. He was then unavailable - through injury - for the next squad (for a friendly v the Czech Republic in August 2008). By the time Owen was available to play, England had scored seven goals in their last three games. Oddly enough, Capello did not rush to recall a striker who had failed to score in his previous four games in an England shirt.

Without Owen, England then went on a run of 16 games during which their only defeat came against Spain. During that period Owen went on a run of four months without a goal for Newcastle before joining Manchester United. In two years at Old Trafford he has started six Premier League games.

Still stuggling to understand, Michael?

Michael Owen has confirmed his Premiership medal is worth more than anything he won at Anfield, and he wants to stay at Manchester United.

The money-grabbing parasite is probably the most hated figure (ex-Newcastle player) in living memory, as he found out at St James' Park when he returned this season.

And he certainly knows how to treat his old clubs ... as he planted his flag in the Manchester camp when asked about his time at home-town club Liverpool.

The former England striker picked up the first Premier League title medal of his career on Sunday and scored United's final league goal of the season during the 4-2 win over Blackpool.

We have our fingers crossed that Owen will be disappointed in his hopes to grab a place on the bench for Saturday's Champions League final, meaning he might well have played his last game for the Old Trafford outfit.

The 31-year-old's two-season contract expires this summer and with Danny Welbeck due to return from his loan spell at Sunderland, it appears highly unlikely he will be offered another.

Owen: "I want to stay because Manchester United is a fantastic club.

"I have to find out in the coming week or two and I will be speaking to the manager.

"This is an important week so there is no point discussing my future with him now, but we will have a chat after the season is over.

"You can drop your level and play more regularly in a team that is not of as high a standard as Manchester United.

"But your level stays high when you are training with top players and you enjoy your football much more when you are playing in a good team.

"It depends which side of the coin you look at.

"I have certainly enjoyed my time here even though I haven't played as much this year and I have still felt part of it.

"I have played in 11 Premier League games and qualified for a medal and loved every minute of it."

Owen said playing for Newcastle was not his true level: "I play better in a side that is winning things".

You just have to be part of the 25 man squad to get a Champions League medal.

Fuck. Me. Raw.

Ah well.

Stevie scored the goal that started the revival in one of the most dramatic finals Europe has ever seen and got to live his and all of our dreams, lifting that famous cup as Liverpool captain.

Carra put his pain-wracked body on the line again and again to keep us in the match and could hardly walk by the time the final whistle went.

Didi changed the game when he came on and scored our first penalty in the shoot-out, all with a broken foot.

Vladi came on unexpectedly, knowing that it was his last game for a club that he loved, and scored a goal from nowhere. Coming so soon after Stevie's, Vladi's goal was the one that broke them.

Xabi scored a penalty on the rebound to complete the revival - without his goal the other two would have been worthless.

Jerzy, in what turned out to be his last game as our first choice keeper, made an incredible double save to keep us in the game at the death and then saved two penalties in the shootout to bring it home for us.

So far, Michael has sat on his arse and drank Lucozade.

Regardless of what baubles they end up with in their trophy rooms, these are the moments they'll remember when they've hung up their boots.