You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Theres an agenda by some of anyone but andy burnham, as the rest of them are free market shills. That said andy is a tad dubious, he talks the talk but even if he gets through the power struggle, he wont be able to walk the walk in this system he will get ground into dust no matter how strong he is, half hearted left based measures will bankrupt the nation hard left will make us rich again but will not be permitted by the current rich who dont want blacks arabs and scousers in their street.

Not sure about Burnham being Labour leader but after reading what his wife has said in the past i think I'd rather have her...

Marie-France van Heel, who is Dutch, has used Twitter to describe Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, as an "idiot", and attack Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, for looking "bloody awful".

she has also said in the past

"Just saw Jeremy hunt on sky news - he looked bloody awful. Not surprising, he is feeling haunted about totally mis-managing the nhs"

and

"Can't we have a military coup to get rid of our democratically elected government"???

Sounds alright to me .....

Why did Liz Kendell not just join the Tory party. She is saying exactly what she thinks the press wants to hear. An opposition party is needed not just a mimic party with subtle differences, whats the point if its just about gaining power. My god where is the conviction in these fuckers. Labour was just an easier circle for them to break into to further their own careers. She doesn't seem remotely left wing. If your trying to emulate the tory party for power there is no need for you to exist as the Tories have been born and bred to do this shit. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's boss Owen Jones, one of the few voices out there chatting sense these days. 

He's spot on about the Labour leadership bunch too, sould destroying, they're all fuckwits. 

I'll tell you why none of them are leaders, because they've all swallowed the same bullshit about why Labour lost the election. They keep going on about business and aspiration, but that's not the reason they lost, they lost because Ed Miliband was an oddball. The same reason  they lost last time, Brown was hatched jobbed from pillar to post. It's all about the man at the top these days, that really is it.

We saw similar bullshit last time, Labour lost the election because of the Iraq War (even though they'd won it in 2005, two years after the invasion).

A proper Labour leader should just admit that that's the case, that the media is the problem and it's schewing people's opinions for the sake of their mates at the top. I'd even refuse to go on debates to be honest, seeing Ed Miliband harrangued by mongs in some Question Time bear pit didn't do much for his chances, which I'm sure they knew. If you seemingly don't respect yourself enough to not put yourself through that, you're going to look weak.

He's boss Owen Jones, one of the few voices out there chatting sense these days. 

He's spot on about the Labour leadership bunch too, sould destroying, they're all fuckwits. 

I'll tell you why none of them are leaders, because they've all swallowed the same bullshit about why Labour lost the election. They keep going on about business and aspiration, but that's not the reason they lost, they lost because Ed Miliband was an oddball. The same reason  they lost last time, Brown was hatched jobbed from pillar to post. It's all about the man at the top these days, that really is it.

We saw similar bullshit last time, Labour lost the election because of the Iraq War (even though they'd won it in 2005, two years after the invasion).

A proper Labour leader should just admit that that's the case, that the media is the problem and it's schewing people's opinions for the sake of their mates at the top. I'd even refuse to go on debates to be honest, seeing Ed Miliband harrangued by mongs in some Question Time bear pit didn't do much for his chances, which I'm sure they knew. If you seemingly don't respect yourself enough to not put yourself through that, you're going to look weak.

And the added bonus of further laughs at him when he tripped off the stage when leaving it.

• Upvote 1

And the added bonus of further laughs at him when he tripped off the stage when leaving it.

Yep. There's no respect shown for politicians now, and by that I mean basic human being respect. You'd never have seen Major or Even Blair bated so aggressively like that and so often. You're only there now to be laughed at, sneered at and called a liar by people who get most of their opinions from some 30 second nugget on ITN. It's bollocks. 

A labour leader who rose abover all this, said 'I'm too busy getting my party in order to listen to all your bollocks' would have my respect. The David Dimblebies of this world would say that would cost them votes, but it probably wouldn't IMO, people have already made up their mind about you at that stage, there was literally nothing Ed could have done or said on those shows to turn things around,  his goose was cooked years ago. 

Cooper showing exactly why she should never be allowed anywhere fucking near the leadership of the Labour Party.

They're all shit, she's spot on about Burnham though. To be honest, he never seems especially bright to me. He'd get chewed up and spat out.

Jeremy Corbyn anyone?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/04/jeremy-corbyn-vital-labour-leadership-debate

A parody of a debate: that’s been the story of the Labour leadership contest to date. A debate is supposed to involve some diversity of opinion. If it is reduced to quibbling over nuance and tone, then personality becomes a substitute for clarity. Genuine political debates are good for democracy, because they force each candidate to define their views clearly and avoid relying on platitudes. With the current leadership candidates dancing inelegantly on the head of a pin, we have learned little – other than just how uninspiring, stale and vacuous a party leadership contest can be.

That’s why Jeremy Corbyn’s entry into the Labour leadership race is so important. Disclaimer: I’ve known Jeremy for years, and have shared numerous platforms with him on issues ranging from peace to social justice. He is the very antithesis of the negative caricature of an MP: he’s defined by his principles and beliefs, uninterested in personal self-advancement, and determined to use his platform to further the interests of people and causes that are otherwise ignored.

He’s one of the most likable MPs – and a five-time winner of parliamentary Beard of the Year

A proponent of peace, a staunch internationalist (he was protesting against Saddam Hussein when the west was arming him), a fervent believer in workers’ rights, and an opponent of austerity whoever peddles it, Corbyn would inject the substance so disastrously missing from the current contest. He’s also one of the most likable MPs – and five-time winner of parliamentary Beard of the Year, which must count for something.

It is up to Labour MPs whether party members and trade unionists will have the opportunity to have a meaningful debate. Under Ed Miliband’s leadership the threshold for how many nominations a leadership candidate must receive to appear on the ballot paper was raised to 15%. Unless 35 Labour MPs nominate Corbyn, this farce of a leadership contest will continue and the Labour party – and the country as a whole – will learn nothing from it.

Back in 2007, I worked for the prospective Labour leadership campaign of John McDonnell, a close ally of Corbyn. But after McDonnell outshone Gordon Brown in a single leadership hustings – with the soon-to-be-unopposed leader becoming evidently flustered during the course of the evening – the Brownite goons roared into action. They knew their man would win, but they feared an unexpectedly positive showing by McDonnell in both the debates and the final result. Arm-twisting and arm-breaking followed, and a coronation ensued. Brown never defined himself, and arguably fatally wounded his premiership from the outset.

More than one candidate is guaranteed to make the leadership election this time around, but with so much agreement on the key issues confronting the country, the consequences will surely be the same. According to the polls, millions of Britons support a living wage, a radical housebuilding programme, public ownership of utilities and services and higher taxes on the rich. Many of them voted for Ukip, the Greens or the SNP. Yes, many of them may lack confidence in the ability of politicians to deliver such policies. But given their widespread backing, these policies surely at least need a hearing in the leadership contest of the dominant,purportedly left-of-centre party in Britain.

Corbyn was an arch critic of New Labour, and ironically would be the sole real defender of New Labour’s record in the contest. He would fight a rearguard offensive against the lie that Blair and Brown caused the crisis by spending too much money on schools and hospitals – spending backed, penny for penny, by the Tories until the end of 2008. He will be able to draw from the findings of Britain’s leading pollster, John Curtice – who accurately predicted the outcome of the election; these findings dispute that Labour lost for being too leftwing, and underline that Labour lost Scotland partly for being too rightwing.

Corbyn could also draw on the conclusion of Peter Kellner, the YouGov pollster, that however Ed Miliband allowed himself to be portrayed, his policies were less radical than those of Tony Blair in 1997. He could nail why Labour lost: the implosion in Scotland, and the consequent anti-SNP hysteria; the lie of “overspending”; and the lack of any coherent alternative.

If Labour MPs deny the party and the country a genuine debate, it will reflect disastrously on them. It will do whoever emerges victorious no good, either. Labour has just suffered one of the worst defeats in its history. If the party doesn’t have the good sense to have a meaningful debate now, you might wonder why it doesn’t just pack up. So come on, Labour MPs. Put your future careers aside for party and national interest. Lend Corbyn a nomination, and let a real debate begin.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...