You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy (Judge me after 10 games)

Guest davelfc

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

when he goes it won't be a second too soon, I absolutely hate him, liked him before he was here but it seems he is actually a twat of a person and the worst manager I have ever seen

when he was appointed I thought he wasn't ideal but he wouldn't be bad now I can't wait to see the back of him

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that people like Coyle and Holloway are even being touted is a statement about how warped some perceptions have been by the media. Coyle and Holloway get decent results for teams of their level; they play 'attacking football'. It isn't enough to just stick a manager who plays 'attacking football' behind our lads; it isn't enough to 'take the shackles off' or revert to man-to-man or 4-4-2. It's nowhere near that simple.

Blackpool got beaten 6-0 by Arsenal this season; 4-0 by Chelsea. Some of that is the players. But if you think that Holloway - who is, by all accounts, a decent bloke - could take our team out onto the pitch and go toe-to-toe with Ferguson, Ancelotti, Mourinho or Guardiola in terms of tactics, it's utterly delusional.

The situation is particularly bad at the moment. Following the world cup, the papers have had everybody thinking the problem is Capello rather than the monodimensionality of the players; that it's simply his managerial techniques that have caused us to bottle it so spectacularly on the international stage. Benitez, touted by many to win the league at the outset of 2009-10, was quickly turned into the problem when he wasn't successful: what's with zonal marking? Why has he taken Torres off? Was he good enough in the market? In the meantime, the turmoil of the club is glossed over, mentioned as an addendum at best, and a picture is painted that all we need is a superificial change of ethos and - hey presto - we'll be back to the glory days of knocking Barca out of the CL; turning over Madrid; players like Alonso wearing the shirt. None of those things were anything to do with Benitez, were they? That was just Liverpool.

Some of us need to wake up as fans; we're being made stupid. We're not appointing Shankly to take us out of divvy two, we're a huge club with huge pressures: 'learning curve' doesn't even begin to describe it. I don't think we have the luxury of being able to appoint an up-and-coming manager anymore, to let them learn what the top of the game is like. We need somebody who has won trophies, has performed consistently, and who can take the heat of the media. The track record needs to be good at the top level - anything else is a huge gamble.

That's a good post that.

For me we need to get a manager at the stage when we got Rafa and Chelsea got Mourinho. Experienced and won big trophies, big personalities and drive to pick up the players and create a winning successful environment.

Roy really didn't have much chance with the state of the club when he joined and now I think despite our change of ownership it will be hard for him to create that culture. Particularly with the start that he's had, and to be fair his lack of success in major competitions despite all his experience.

He was brought in as a "safe pair of hands" and a short term appointment and some of the players will see him as such.

I think he'll probably get until the end of the season when the new board and management structure will look at his position and what they want to achieve. If we continue to be terrible and are bottom half in January they may change things a bit quicker. If Roy performs a miracle turnaround and gets us top 6 and a cup he may be here longer.

when he goes it won't be a second too soon, I absolutely hate him, liked him before he was here but it seems he is actually a twat of a person and the worst manager I have ever seen

when he was appointed I thought he wasn't ideal but he wouldn't be bad now I can't wait to see the back of him

Biggest exaggeration of all time. :D

Results and performances like today will only help him. I think a lot of people have definitely made up their mind already, and he'd probably have to win absolutely every game from now until May before they'll even consider saying he's done something good.

Personally, I still think if we can get someone of the quality of Hiddink or Van Gaal in before January, then we should look to replace Roy. But if we sustain our current form for an extended period of time, then change could really be a bad thing and disrupt the momentum etc.

I think the last couple of weeks have earned him a stay of execution form me and I'd like to see him given until at least January to work with the team, then take stock.

a great win today, and a very good performance

however, after 10 games we're 5 points behind Man city in 4th, and a full 10 points behind the leaders, and im sorry, but that still isnt good enough

5 points may seem very little, but in fairness to City, they're grinding out results, even when playing shite, and thats why i cant see catching them,

but for today im happy, we deserved that win against the chavs ,and ill bask in it

well done Roy

no he didnt. he said we cant start looking at the table until at least 10 games have been played.

Yeah, you are right. In fact he does not think he should be judged at all - he wasn't at Fulham (he did say that)

Good game today - picked the team he had and let them play. Kudos to Torres and certainly Kuyt for giving us what we have lacked for a couple of months now.

Tbf it was one of the worst periods the club had to endure. It is hard on any player to be motivated when the future is undecided. Let us see how it goes in the next few games. Hope it goes well but the squad overall and the options on the bench in general make me cringe.

Even after the game. in Hodgson's interview he said (again for the fukcin' hundreth time) .' to take us back up the table where people BELIEVE we should be...'

No you soft cunt it is where we BELONG. Read the fuckin' history you Croydon twat.

His language is littered with so many of these quotes i.e I hope not to get beat, yes they could win, etc.

He is not a winner, his language is not that of a winner, the owners will have already sensed it and he will hopefully be gone sooner rather than later.

More diffcult to get rid when things are going well but it does give them time to look around for the right manager rather than having to ditch him in a few weeks when we are still in the relegation zone.

The team is doing well inspite of Roy Hodgson not because of him. Wait for your pay off, go into semi retirement and wait for Capello to implode.

Various people asked what I like about him and what I would see as a crisis. A crisis would have been a prolonged spell in the relegation zone as confidence ebbed away and the fans became even more vocally against him. What I like about him, as I said before the season and in the last issue of the fanzine, is his ability to organise teams, his ability to improve players, his eye for a bargain and his ability to inspire his team. I repeatedly said I felt he could do that for us, but that there'd be wobbles along the way - especially this side of Christmas. I also like his diplomatic and respectful nature.

In short, while we're far from back in the groove (further evidence required for that assertion) and while the squad remains hugely flawed and imbalanced, he is, by and large, doing exactly what I thought he would. Well in Roy lad - I'm fucking delighted for you.

By the way, I didn't deliberately wait for now to post; this is the first time I've checked this thread since I last posted on it. I was just interested to see what people were saying about Roy after such a magnificent performance against the best side in the country.

Even after the game. in Hodgson's interview he said (again for the fukcin' hundreth time) .' to take us back up the table where people BELIEVE we should be...'

No you soft cunt it is where we BELONG. Read the fuckin' history you Croydon twat.

His language is littered with so many of these quotes i.e I hope not to get beat, yes they could win, etc.

He is not a winner, his language is not that of a winner, the owners will have already sensed it and he will hopefully be gone sooner rather than later.

More diffcult to get rid when things are going well but it does give them time to look around for the right manager rather than having to ditch him in a few weeks when we are still in the relegation zone.

The team is doing well inspite of Roy Hodgson not because of him. Wait for your pay off, go into semi retirement and wait for Capello to implode.

Mate, people are reading too much into the things he says. Nobody but himself knows exactly what he means by these things. He knows the expectations, he isnt stupid. And he is right, people do believe we should be further up the table. He is just reiterating it.