You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

coop

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe that was the last straw.

Benitez: "He must go; he must go aswell; he is terrible; yes, he can leave too; he is a *cunt*; he is rubbish; he can go certainly"

Broughton: "That's a pretty long list! Who bought all of these terrible players?"

Benitez: "er...."

I think that's being a little unfair - yes, it's right to get rid of these players now as they simply haven't fulfilled the potential that was seen in them initially. And that's the point I would make in favour of our ex manager, he was placed in a position of having to build a team with players like Mascherano, Torres, Johnson etc etc and fill in the gaps with cheap, young players and then hope they grew into the roles. Some of them did Reina, Agger, to some extent Lucas (but surely there has to be more from a Brazillian international).

Some of them just haven't stepped up to the mark - Deggan, Babel (in my view he never will until he gets a spine and heart transplant), etc etc etc.

Perhaps these lads failed due to the standoffish nature of our ex-manager, perhaps they were overawed by playing for Liverpool FC. Perhaps they had reached their limit when we bought them, we'll never know for sure.

But I can understand why the majority of these players were brought into the club - all except Babel that is.

Why did he say they'd all get a clean slate? He was specifically referring to players who were out of favour when he made that comment.

Pre-season starts: 2nd of July

Degen is on his way: 21st of July.

This should be more than enough time to find out both Insua and Degen are indeed crap.

I hate to think Agger will be our starting LB for next season. Kelly as cover for sure, but for a starting place we need at least one experience LB...

looks like the wilson deal is on for more cover, but he has said that signing a recognised left back is a priority, fingers crossed on that one.

As for Degen, hes fucking horrendus, glad to see that the dead wood is finally drifting away!

Guest TK-421
Pre-season starts: 2nd of July

Degen is on his way: 21st of July.

This should be more than enough time to find out both Insua and Degen are indeed crap.

Do you think Roy has ultimate sovereignty over transfers?

Guest The Big Green Bastard
Why did he say they'd all get a clean slate? He was specifically referring to players who were out of favour when he made that comment.

Maybe the 'clean slate' is an acronym for 'fuck off' in roys book.

Pretty sure Degen was sent off in that 3-1 game against them last year. I can't remember how it came about now. I've gladly wiped most of last season from my memory.
ye and he had that mongoloid smile on his face as he was being sent off, good riddance, the problem is will a club take him?

ye and he had that mongoloid smile on his face as he was being sent off, good riddance, the problem is will a club take him?

Shouldn't be that hard to pawn him off on some German team, possibly on loan at first.

At least that would free up his wages, make room for Kelly to step up & provide a small fee.

Guest simon

I dont like this i think there is something for him in another position than RB. Maybe the wing or sometpye of defensive mid which he was extremely impressive in when we tried him there that time I hope this is just cos of fitness roblems and not his ability he is a great player to have in a attacking team. I hope he stays in the prem so i will be proven right.

I think there might be something to what TK-421 is saying. I have no idea if Roy is a yes man, only time will tell. But these transfers only make sense in terms of reducing the wage bill and appeasing the fans.

Because the way things stand our full back cover is utter shit, I mean Degen was dung but you still need backups no matter what. But maybe we're going down the road of having talented youngsters as cover.

Some inconsistencies pointed out by TK421 there and it's enought o raise an eyebrow but it's the right decision to get rid of Degen. There is nothing to be gained from keeping him here. The only difficulty will be moving him on as he is on big wages for his standard.

Because the way things stand our full back cover is utter shit, I mean Degen was dung but you still need backups no matter what. But maybe we're going down the road of having talented youngsters as cover.

I'd much rather have an inexperienced player from the youth team as back up over an overpaid flop. Degen looked like a competition winner.

Plus we also have Carragher who can play there if we're really stuck.

I'm pretty sure the 'clean slate' would have been in reference to those such as Riera and Babel in mind who have maybe been out of favour for personal reasons with Rafa. But if you're out of favour AND shit' date=' well...[/quote']

My thoughts exactly.

Furthermore if Roy can get into the mind of Babel (possibly with a map and flashlight) and turn him into half the player he should be then we could have a very exciting "new" signing.

Guest TK-421

Roy said:

"Whenever a new manager comes in, players who have been on the periphery start to see it and maybe think, 'this could be my chance, I'll have a go'.

"You'd be foolish as a manager not to give them that chance."

Now we have Insua, Degen and Riera, the latter two who fit the description as players "on the periphery", all leaving before the season starts.

I can't really get up in arms over how some players are being shifted fairly quickly after Hodgson's appointment. I know it is the done thing to blame everything on Purslow, but maybe - just maybe - the likes of Sammy Lee has played a part in drawing up a list of players that should be sold if possible?

The sale of Insua can just as well be Rafa's doing as far as I'm concerned, and if Roy really wanted to keep him, then he could maybe have fought it instead of just accepting it.

Refreshingly honest stuff from Hodgson there, if slightly harsh on Degen.

I read it as him trying to highlight Degen's availability, as there already seems to be interest in Insua, Riera and N'gog.

What's his contract situation?

I reckon we should let him go for free just to cut him from the wage bill.

Great week so far!