You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Manager - The Poll

Guest TK-421

Who should it be?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who should it be?

• Jose Mourinho
    • Guus Hiddink
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Josep "Pep" Guardiola
    • Other

Ajax 1991-1997 Manager

Barcelona 1997-2000 Manager

Nederland 2000-2002 Manager

Barcelona 2002-2003 Manager

Ajax 2003-2004 Technical director

AZ 2005-2009 Manager

Bayern München 2009- Manager

That's what he has done the last 15 years.

But what success has he had?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football | News | Champions League | General news | Mourinho v Van Gaal head to head - ITV Sport

Van Gaal began his managerial career at Ajax back in 1991 and went on to steer the Dutch side to 11 trophies during a six-year spell which included three league titles, the UEFA Cup, the European Super Cup and most notably two Champions League finals, winning in 1995 and finishing runners-up a year later.

The Dutchman moved to Barcelona in 1997 where he won La Liga twice, the Spanish Cup and Super Cup before enduring a disappointing spell in charge of his native national team which culminated in failure to qualify for the 2002 World Cup finals. With his reputation tarnished, Van Gaal returned to club management and guided AZ Alkmaar to the league championship in the 2008-09 season and then claimed the Bundesliga crown with Bayern this season, his first year with the German giants.

paul-mccartney-american-idol.jpg

Like, can I have a go? You know, everyone labours under this delusion, this myth, that John was the one with tactical nous. Actually, you know, the truth is, it was me. Yeah (Yeah Yeah). John had a loud voice. He was like Thommo. He'd whistle a lot and then his tooth would fly out. Or mine. Usually mine. But the tooth is it was just a tooth. Ha ha ha! But, seriously, you know, I was the brains when it came to soccer, or "football" as some call it. John lived in Menlove Avenue. You didn't play in the street in Menlove Avenue. You sat inside wearing moleskin trousers, listening to Berlioz, doing your best to forget you lived in a place called Menlove Avenue. I was the one who played football in the street. George was there, but he was far too young to play contact sports, so he'd just watch from the pavement strumming his ukelele, shouting 'goal!' or 'gear!' every now and again. But it was a passion of mine, I can tell you. We'd all sit in the Jacaranda, having a cup of tea, and I'd always be the one moving the salt and pepper around to illustrate how to stop Tom Finney via zonal marking. George didn't say anything cos he was so much younger than everyone else - he was too young for tea - but John would be like: "Are you gonna use that salt and pepper or not?" Didn't get it at all. I'd just be like, you know, cool about it. This went on all through the Sixties. John would be watching TV, shouting stuff like, "What's the fucking matter with that lazy fucking idiot Gerry Byrne?" And I'd be like "I think you'll find he's fractured his collar bone and is trying to hide it from his opponents". He'd just punch me in the mouth, but that was John. Yes, he did put Albert Stubbins on the cover of Sgt Pepper, but only because he thought it was Billy Liddell. I'd be saying, like: "John, I think you'll find that's Albert Stubbins..." He'd just punch me in the mouth, but that was John. Okay, I'm known for my conservative inclinations - when the Kop was shouting "Attack, Attack, Attack!" I'd be, you know, like saying, very politely, "Get back," but I'm pretty adventurous these days. I admit I don't mind the Blues because me Dad supported them, but I'm really up for the Reds these days and I think you'll find I'm damn good at motivation. The things I got someone with only one leg to do, well, it prepares me for the challenge of Lucas. So come on, people: two thumbs up from Kenny and I'll be in there, like, doing crazy far out stuff and winning things. Ringo will come too, only don't call him by his stage name, "Mr Tank Engine".

Brilliant.

Realistically, Pellegrini would be an excellent choice. He's out of work too at the moment so no compo to pay. God knows why people still go on about Hiddink coming, the most overrated manager of the modern era who's failed miserably every time he's managed a big club, and failed to take a strong Russian team to the World Cup this year (and who has just taken on a new job).

Guest Super Sub

Didn't vote for any because not a single one of them managers will entertain us.

It should read:

Mark Hughes

Avram Grant

Roy Hodgson

Martin O'Neil

Derrick Bird. Apparently he's really good with the 12th man.

He won't take the job, too much of a Rafapologist. Apparently he got pretty upset the other day when he heard the rumours about Rafa leaving.

A 'Liverpool fan' contacted SSN yesterday, calling for Fat Sam to step in. I hope he was joking.

Ajax

3 × Dutch League (Eredivisie): 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96

3 × Dutch Super Cup (Johan Cruijff Shield): 1992–93, 1993–94, 1994–95

1 × Dutch Cup (KNVB Cup): 1992–93

1 × UEFA Cup: 1991–92

1 × UEFA Champions League: 1994–95

1 × UEFA Super Cup: 1995

1 × Intercontinental Cup: 1995

Barcelona

2 × Spanish League (La Liga): 1997–98, 1998–99

1 × Spanish Cup (Copa del Rey): 1997–98

1 × UEFA Super Cup: 1997

AZ

1 × Dutch League (Eredivisie): 2008–09

Bayern Munich

1 × German League (Bundesliga): 2009–10

1 × German Cup (DFB-Pokal): 2009–10

1 × Audi Cup: 2009–10

It's also an achievement to bring Bayern to this years CL final, but he didn't win it.

We need a proven winner who knows the Premier League. We can't afford to get this appointment wrong, and there is only one man who will absolutely certainly bring us the success we crave. You know who I'm talking about! This may be hard to swallow for some, but LFC is all about winning trophies. And this man knows all about it. Lets break the bank and sign up Alex Ferguson!

Those last two posts are ace. Come on Tepid water, explain how he's still shit. I've probably just got time to get the popcorn in.

Shit, that pissed on my bonfire.

Still I still don't like him, it just turns out that that my dislike is purely irrational.

I fan live with irrational

still we can't afford him anyway so I'm safe

Like, can I have a go? You know, everyone labours under this delusion, this myth, that John was the one with tactical nous. Actually, you know, the truth is, it was me. Yeah (Yeah Yeah). John had a loud voice. He was like Thommo. He'd whistle a lot and then his tooth would fly out. Or mine. Usually mine. But the tooth is it was just a tooth. Ha ha ha! But, seriously, you know, I was the brains when it came to soccer, or "football" as some call it. John lived in Menlove Avenue. You didn't play in the street in Menlove Avenue. You sat inside wearing moleskin trousers, listening to Berlioz, doing your best to forget you lived in a place called Menlove Avenue. I was the one who played football in the street. George was there, but he was far too young to play contact sports, so he'd just watch from the pavement strumming his ukelele, shouting 'goal!' or 'gear!' every now and again. But it was a passion of mine, I can tell you. We'd all sit in the Jacaranda, having a cup of tea, and I'd always be the one moving the salt and pepper around to illustrate how to stop Tom Finney via zonal marking. George didn't say anything cos he was so much younger than everyone else - he was too young for tea - but John would be like: "Are you gonna use that salt and pepper or not?" Didn't get it at all. I'd just be like, you know, cool about it. This went on all through the Sixties. John would be watching TV, shouting stuff like, "What's the fucking matter with that lazy fucking idiot Gerry Byrne?" And I'd be like "I think you'll find he's fractured his collar bone and is trying to hide it from his opponents". He'd just punch me in the mouth, but that was John. Yes, he did put Albert Stubbins on the cover of Sgt Pepper, but only because he thought it was Billy Liddell. I'd be saying, like: "John, I think you'll find that's Albert Stubbins..." He'd just punch me in the mouth, but that was John. Okay, I'm known for my conservative inclinations - when the Kop was shouting "Attack, Attack, Attack!" I'd be, you know, like saying, very politely, "Get back," but I'm pretty adventurous these days. I admit I don't mind the Blues because me Dad supported them, but I'm really up for the Reds these days and I think you'll find I'm damn good at motivation. The things I got someone with only one leg to do, well, it prepares me for the challenge of Lucas. So come on, people: two thumbs up from Kenny and I'll be in there, like, doing crazy far out stuff and winning things. Ringo will come too, only don't call him by his stage name, "Mr Tank Engine".

More of this please.

• Downvote 1

We need a man with the brain of a NASA supercomputer. A man who has assimilated every piece of football knowledge in existence. A man capable of compiling, analysing, and presenting statistics in a manner that puts Data's positronic brain to shame.

We need Frode Myrhol.

Its got to be the team of Rashid and Code then. In addition, both young, hungry and have a qualified handle on the transfer and tactics malarkey, with a promise of skillful, exciting football. Rash's Championship manager credentials at spotting a exciting skillful player, aligned with Code's clever use of statistics. :thumbup: