You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Albums That Bring Up Bad Memories

Juniper

(nice happy thread)

The Sad Songs thread got me thinking.....

We sometimes talk of a song or album we associate with a great memory or a fucking great time of our lives but deep in thought listening to some sad music got me wondering of the albums in the past that you played in a troubled time, or remind you of someone for whatever reason you cant bring yourself to listen to anymore?.

I’ll start with mine, This album reminds me of a shit period in my life. Whatever people have to say about her this is a good album, I'm not ashamed of it in my collection at all…I just can’t listen to it anymore. It reminds me of someone I cared for dearly a few years back who unfortunately fucked with my head and life over time and as a result aren't in my life anymore (and are not missed, I'd like to add).

I’d like to listen to it at some point but for now it remains in the cd wardrobe and unplayed for years.

Shame as it has some very good songs on it. Just reminds me too much of a period where I was all over the place in life. I don’t like revisiting old shite memories/wounds and remembering how I felt at that period in time, cause I couldn't be happier with my life these days.

I'd very much like to make love to the Aussie's vocal chords though.....

og04kk.jpg

Anyone else still up and feeling like sharing?

Good thread.

Its amazing how music can take you on a journey like it does.

How it can instantly re-create the feelings you have had from a long time ago. Almost like you are there again. It so thought provoking at times and can bring one to his knees with emotion.

For me when I hear U2'S With or Without You I think of a girl I was with a few years ago now. She was amazing, very kind and beautiful. I shit on her big time though. Not in the conventional manner IE: Unfaithful , but another way which Im not going to go into here, but I was a wanker for doing what I did and I dont think I will ever love like that again. This song was 'her' song, she loved it, and if I hear it , which I do a lot as im a big U2 fan im right there again, with her, its instant and will never change.

Its as powerful emotion as you could feel when that happens and one of the many reasons why I respect and love music like I do.

Ive just realised its an Album thread. I was 'technically' the first person to buy 'Standing on the Shoulder of Giants' by Oasis and she was with me at the time so that brings back a lot for me. When I say the first person I mean it was a midnight opening of HMV and I was the 1st to pay for it and was in the local rag. Pretty lame really but hey ho.

Strangely albums don't tend to remind me of points in my life. They tend to remind me of other things.

For example... I got into Black Sabbath around the same time I got into Lord of the Rings and so forever those two will be intertwined in my memory. Certain songs or passages remind me of the other.

The same with Terry Pratchett and Muse.

The same with a game called Dynasty Warriors 4 and The Darkness (Fuck off they were good!)

The same with this year's PES and Smodcasts.

I think its because, if I'm in the house I almost always have music on (or podcasts) whether I'm playing a game or reading or doing homework, I'll have music in the background. Its not that way when I'm out with mates. I only tend to listen to music on my own. If I'm at the pub there'll be music on, but not what I want to listen to so I don't bother with it. I don't really have the same taste in music as my mates so I can't share that with them.

So for me albums don't bring up bad memories, because none of my bad memories have music attached to them in any way.

Good thread.

How it can instantly re-create the feelings you have had from a long time ago. Almost like you are there again. It so thought provoking at times and can bring one to his knees with emotion.

For me when I hear U2'S With or Without You I think of a girl I was with a few years ago now. She was amazing, very kind and beautiful. I shit on her big time though. Not in the conventional manner IE: Unfaithful , but another way which Im not going to go into here, but I was a wanker for doing what I did and I dont think I will ever love like that again. This song was 'her' song, she loved it, and if I hear it , which I do a lot as im a big U2 fan im right there again, with her, its instant and will never change.

Its as powerful emotion as you could feel when that happens and one of the many reasons why I respect and love music like I do.

Ive just realised its an Album thread. I was 'technically' the first person to buy 'Standing on the Shoulder of Giants' by Oasis and she was with me at the time so that brings back a lot for me. When I say the first person I mean it was a midnight opening of HMV and I was the 1st to pay for it and was in the local rag. Pretty lame really but hey ho.

No, it's an album or song track thread. Very good post that too. Thanks for your imput.

Here's my other one. This time a song, the first girl I ever loved, this is her song. I shit on her too (didn't cheat mind), remember our first every Holiday, she always used to hum the song.

Remember a few years ago like it was yesterday, her sat next to me on the train going to Newquay huming it, a few days after getting home she chucked me (after I had moved back home from up north and left a band for her after a year together long distance style)

I don't mind listening to it now. It came on a lot a few years back and I had to leave the room when it came on. Can still hear her humming the guitar parts, but thankfully she chucked me as I met Mrs Jnp a year later and the rest, to me, is history.

These days I don't really associate music with feelings, I really get a kick out of the song in general. I was young and foolish once.

Fucking hate this band though

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Juniper

Another tune , reminds me of Summer 95, I was 16 life was amazing, no responsibilities at all just looking for the next buzz and living each day as it came , the sun burning on the back of yer neck and the first love of yer life and the first time you stay up all night and the next day. . .

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjKlFZxTDPw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjKlFZxTDPw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I know not a bad memory but trying to be positive.

Natalie Imbruglia?

Snow Patrol?

In all seriousness though I have to say there are songs that I find a bit painful to listen to.

Mine and my first girlfriends song was Champagne Supernova, we were 13 and it was boss. She died of an eating disorder at 17 and whenever I hear it I always think of her and just what a shame it was that she felt the way she did and that she went the way she did.

I remember Oasis playing it at Glasto and I was with my best mate and this came on and he just came and stood next to me. 'someday you will find me...'

Angels as well, they played it at her funeral and that also evokes memories even though i hate Williams the fat cock.

Edited by WaltonRed

Anyway back to Bad memories :

This always takes me back to when I was around 18 , It was released way before that mind you but I had inadvertently set my flat on fire and lost everything I owned , It was a very bad time for me.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3uPuiQOn9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3uPuiQOn9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Natalie Imbruglia?

Snow Patrol?

Not doing myself any favours I know. But they were tracks that the peoples I mention were massive fans of (Natalie Imbruglia is the only one I own mind)

Here's another one. Same track for the first person I mentioned. Another of 'our songs'. A little better in quality.

Embedding disabled arses

I was 19 , not long after the hassle i spoke about above , and made bad choices and ended up living on the streets in margate kent, ironically where i was born, ive lived in wales since 89. Anyway this song always takes me back to then when i was thinking ' what the fuck am i doing ? ' Terrible days.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II04KRhrzTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II04KRhrzTk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Four tracks which remind me of my what felt like the lowest period of my life, or more specifically the person who was the cause of what felt like at the time, the end of my life.

The drug's don't work - The Verve

Girl from Mars - Ash

You and me song - The Wannadies

Me and you versus the world - Space

Strange because it all seems so pointless and immaterial now, but it really did feel like the end of the world at the time.

Didn't help that we split up the day Princess Diana died, radio was fucking awful for weeks

Funny now because I hear them and it takes me back, but with not so much sadness, but a peaceful melancholy as I know my life is now infinately better, and it was nothing more than my first "proper" relationship.

This is my last for the night. Used this song a few times over the past 12 years since owning the album in shite times when needing a lift.

Strangley now I'm in a band with the female vocalist who was in that track and also a full time member of Primal Scream. So it brings it full circle, from shit times, to fucking great times these days!. And that's where I leave it for the night.

[YOUTUBE] [/YOUTUBE]

Four tracks which remind me of my what felt like the lowest period of my life, or more specifically the person who was the cause of what felt like at the time, the end of my life.

The drug's don't work - The Verve

Girl from Mars - Ash

You and me song - The Wannadies

Me and you versus the world - Space

Strange because it all seems so pointless and immaterial now, but it really did feel like the end of the world at the time.

Didn't help that we split up the day Princess Diana died, radio was fucking awful for weeks

Funny now because I hear them and it takes me back, but with not so much sadness, but a peaceful melancholy as I know my life is now infinately better, and it was nothing more than my first "proper" relationship.

What is that ? I mean when you think at the time that life is so shit and yer so desperately sad about a situation and you cannot see the light for love nor money ?

But later , like you say, it seems so inconsequential and you almost cringe at the thought.

Funny old game life.

Noah and the Whale - The First Days of Spring

This album came out last year when I was in the midst of a huge depression as my marriage had failed. It seemed to be about me, personally, and soundtracked my spiral downwards as I lost weight and was throwing up constantly due to the depression. In some bizarre way I even revelled in the misery.

Eventually I had to make the conscious decision to snap out of it as I was getting seriously ill. My divorce has just come through this week, I'm now seeing someone else and feel so much better, thankfully.

But I can't listen to the album anymore, as I can almost feel the sickness creeping back if I do. Shame, as it's a brilliant record.

Guest TK-421

I was 18 and in the prime of my life. Then Blur released fucking Parklife. Every two-bit shitty indie DJ in the land saw fit to play the LP's title track when a good old indie shindig was in full swing. Sometimes I'd stay on the dancefloor and shuffle at the side awkwardly, putting on a brave face until the song was over, maybe hoping to get in with a hot chick. Other times it got the better of me and I'd have to leave the dancing area. Maybe I'd go to the bar and try to drown my sorrows, but did it work? Did it shite. My night was effectively over due to some twat waffling on about collecting dustbins. I don't think I'll ever fully recover.

Blur%20-%20Parklife.jpg

Good thread.

Scary that.

"The Joshua Tree" album is the only album that has any connotations in my life.

Was the time of my first "love". The time when every conceivable moment in your life is taken up with thinking about them.

My first year at secondary school, canal trip, that was the album i played 24/7. "With or without you", that was the song that everytime I hear it, it transports me back to one moment in my life, a canal boat, my walkman, the sun shining, and this (at the time), wonderful creature that liked me, sitting next to me holding my hand.

Sorry, no bad connection with music and me. I like music too much.

Sonia's first album, the first and very last pop album I bought, 88 I think.

I was young, about 9 or 10, liked redheads and big boobs (they seemed big at the time) how I got that oh so wrong.

And plus at the school disco I was about to cop off with Claire Henderson who I had fancied for years, and at the last minute she turned her head away and I butted the wall. Fucking fridgid bint.