You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Did this really need saying again?

Nick Leeson

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. It was an example of a decision that could potentially have contributed to the result.

Come on, don't be so silly.

I doubt Darby would have made much difference though Ian. That's just a ludicrious suggestion. Now if you said to me that Rafa resting Torres and playing Voronin against Birmingham at home because "Voronin can play between the lines" (like last season) is something that can cost us valuable points then I'd agree.

I just think taking isolated incidents and making them into "reasons for losing the league" is madness. We lost the legaue because we didn't habve the same experience or attacking impetous as Manchester United over the WHOLE season, simple as that. I'd say the wins against the top 3 more than made up for the draw....

Manchester United were just better - the difference between the teams is Cristiano Ronaldo in midfield - we need someone like that simple as that.

I doubt Darby would have made much difference though Ian. That's just a ludicrious suggestion. Now if you said to me that Rafa resting Torres and playing Voronin against Birmingham at home because "Voronin can play between the lines" (like last season) is something that can cost us valuable points then I'd agree.

I just think taking isolated incidents and making them into "reasons for losing the league" is madness. We lost the legaue because we didn't habve the same experience or attacking impetous as Manchester United over the WHOLE season, simple as that. I'd say the wins against the top 3 more than made up for the draw....

Manchester United were just better - the difference between the teams is Cristiano Ronaldo in midfield - we need someone like that simple as that.

I have to say I agree with you Rash and it's extremely hard to find players anywhere near as good as the ladyboy unfortunately.

I wasn't saying that picking Darby would have made us win the league, Rash, so for you to suggest that is just stupid.

The discussion took a turn towards Spearing and Darby's inclusion in the team this season, hence that example being brought up. If I was talking about isolated decisions then I could point to Lucas being picked ahead of Alonso against Fulham at Anfield as one reason but that wasn't what was being discussed at the time; you obviously missed the point.

As for your post, I agree with some of that but also believe that we could have made what they did, irrelevant.

I have to say I agree with you Rash and it's extremely hard to find players anywhere near as good as the ladyboy unfortunately.

Hard as it may be we simply have to start taking risks on talented players and stop buying medium range "safe" players. Ferguson got Ronaldo, stuck by him, allowed him freedom to express himself and took away his defensive responsibilities, - now look at him - something like 100 goals in 3 season from midfield.

People are laughing at Walcott now like they did with Ronaldo in 2004 - they won't be laughing at Walcott in 2 years time.

I think we need to take a risk or two with a real talent....

i do find it annoying that he keeps using as a excuse but it would piss me of that the mancs spend 30 -50 millon a season on players and yet where always scraping the barrell but the money he has got why does he not spend it more wisely and if it pisses him of that much why did he sign a new contract. this is where we at at and until we get rid of them shower of bastards and get that stadium built we are never going to be able to compete with the filth.

Hard as it may be we simply have to start taking risks on talented players and stop buying medium range "safe" players. Ferguson got Ronaldo, stuck by him, allowed him freedom to express himself and took away his defensive responsibilities, - now look at him - something like 100 goals in 3 season from midfield.

People are laughing at Walcott now like they did with Ronaldo in 2004 - they won't be laughing at Walcott in 2 years time.

He's not a midfielder. The only times he goes in his own half are when the teams are kicking off.

Fans wont be patient enough, they are not willing to wait, they want to buy potential but then want that potential realised immediately. Ronaldo has been here longer than rafa, many fans wont wait that long.

We defend as a unit whereas united have better individual defenders, we cant afford to allow someone to not chip in with our current set up and that is why teams get joy when they isolate our defenders.

we dont need mavericks, just a couple of top players to cover for gerrard and torres, we will never get anyone as good as them but adding the likes of santa cruz and tevez who can easily get over 10 goals each would be a great start and add a pacey winger and some full back cover and more than likely barry.

If tevez joins us and starts consistently on the left or right of the three and covers upfront and the number 10 role he will realise his potential and become world class. He has been underused at united and is far better than berbatov. I am not sure people realise how good he is and what goals he is capable of. He is what people want kuyt to be. I think tevez, torres and gerrard and a bit of pace elsewhere is enough for the title and not just for next year.

We have insua, nemeth, pacheco, babel, darby, spearing and lucas who could all become the next big thing. Will fans wait for them?

Guest the boy
Nick, your signature still completly throws me. Is there any chance you could explain it to me?

I can explain it; it's nonsense.

He's not a midfielder. The only times he goes in his own half are when the teams are kicking off.

He played right win for most of the game today, and he starts on the right in 90% of games. He doesn't track back and doesn't play up front most of the time. He is a freak of nature, an awesome footballer.

Fans wont be patient enough, they are not willing to wait, they want to buy potential but then want that potential realised immediately. Ronaldo has been here longer than rafa, many fans wont wait that long.

We defend as a unit whereas united have better individual defenders, we cant afford to allow someone to not chip in with our current set up and that is why teams get joy when they isolate our defenders.

we dont need mavericks, just a couple of top players to cover for gerrard and torres, we will never get anyone as good as them but adding the likes of santa cruz and tevez who can easily get over 10 goals each would be a great start and add a pacey winger and some full back cover and more than likely barry.

If tevez joins us and starts consistently on the left or right of the three and covers upfront and the number 10 role he will realise his potential and become world class. He has been underused at united and is far better than berbatov. I am not sure people realise how good he is and what goals he is capable of. He is what people want kuyt to be. I think tevez, torres and gerrard and a bit of pace elsewhere is enough for the title and not just for next year.

We have insua, nemeth, pacheco, babel, darby, spearing and lucas who could all become the next big thing. Will fans wait for them?

Why pay £22m on a striker who scores 10 goals?

Nick, your signature still completly throws me. Is there any chance you could explain it to me?

I think Rafa is the new Houllier, however if he doesnt buy Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao in the summer I could change my point of view and delete the signature however should we sign Barry, Forlan and Downing then I see Rafa talking us down the Houllier path,

Personally I think next season will be decided by what we do in the summer transfer market

This season has all the hallmarks of the season we last finsihed second in but I remain positive and hope Rafa has learned from his mistakes

I think Rafa is the new Houllier, however if he doesnt buy Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao in the summer I could change my point of view and delete the signature however should we sign Barry, Forlan and Downing then I see Rafa talking us down the Houllier path,

Personally I think next season will be decided by what we do in the summer transfer market

This season has all the hallmarks of the season we last finsihed second in but I remain positive and hope Rafa has learned from his mistakes

He simply has to, he would be stupid not to. I may not believe as hard as other people that he will win us the league.

But I don't believe he is stupid, if he doesn't learn from his mistakes this season and ensure he doesn't repeat them next.

We won't win it under Benitez, and you can quote me on that in the knowledge I want to be proven wrong.

Why pay £22m on a striker who scores 10 goals?

i said easily get over ten, i was being conservative and referring to prem goals and assuming he will play on the left or right of the two behind the main striker.

I do think he could get more but then when you look at the scoring charts the top scorers haven't hit 20 goals this season.

above 2 posts are bloody depressing

He played right win for most of the game today, and he starts on the right in 90% of games. He doesn't track back and doesn't play up front most of the time. He is a freak of nature, an awesome footballer.

You have a big advantage over me in that you have an appetite to watch him.

From what I have seen of him he's a good player and I can't argue against his goal tally (Utd wouldn't have won the league for the last 3 years without him).

He's not a midfielder though.

I have to admit

I wish Rafa came out in the next couple of weeks and said openly that he made mistakes in last years transfer market

ofcourse, it goes without saying. And rafas already admitted it, in a way, by selling keane.

But if he came out and said 'i dont want this summer to be like last summer. i made mistakes last summer' - it would show his strength of character.

ignorance is a weakness.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I have to admit

I wish Rafa came out in the next couple of weeks and said openly that he made mistakes in last years transfer market

ofcourse, it goes without saying. And rafas already admitted it, in a way, by selling keane.

But if he came out and said 'i dont want this summer to be like last summer. i made mistakes last summer' - it would show his strength of character.

ignorance is a weakness.

As is the unability the spell

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Ignorance is the expulsion of alternative possibilities, whilst simultaneously embracing your opinion with a surety so myopic that you exclude yourself from the truth. Unless you can read minds, shut up.

What he said, I think

I have to admit

ignorance is a weakness.

perhaps wait til he's sold them on first though eh?

Ignorance is the expulsion of alternative possibilities, whilst simultaneously embracing your opinion with a surety so myopic that you exclude yourself from the truth. Unless you can read minds, shut up.

Nah, ignorance is the embracing of a nothingness, it denies the very possibility of alternatives.

Nah, ignorance is the embracing of a nothingness, it denies the very possibility of alternatives.

Nothingness is the source of enlightenment. If you accept nothing, you have no ignorance, it can kill your dogma stone dead; nothingness is dharma. To embrace nothingness is to accept that there are no rigid rules, that all we know is what we think we know, which is not qualitatively the same as knowing that what we know is objectively correct. The embracement of nothingness is something I've been trying to practice for a long time but it's difficult and I quickly find myself consumed by my old dogmatic ways of thinking. Nothingness just is, it doesn't become, doesn't grasp, doesn't judge, doesn't think to know, it is the most clear of truths, all we are is. As you can tell from how angry I can be, I am crap at practicing mindfulness.

Nothingness is the source of enlightenment. If you accept nothing, you have no ignorance, it can kill your dogma stone dead; nothingness is dharma. To embrace nothingness is to accept that there are no rigid rules, that all we know is what we think we know, which is not qualitatively the same as knowing that what we know is objectively correct.

The embracement of nothingness is something I've been trying to practice for a long time but it's difficult and I quickly find myself consumed by my old dogmatic ways of thinking. Nothingness just is, it doesn't become, doesn't grasp, doesn't judge, doesn't think to know, it is the most clear of truths, all we are is. As you can tell from how angry I can be, I am crap at practicing mindfulness.

hahahahaha class. I don't know shit about Zen but the nothingness I was referring to was the existentialist one which I think is quite similar except that it is that which suppresses possibilities, so you have to transcend rather than embrace it.

I've had many many discussions with all sorts of people about the kind of thing you are trying to achieve and decided for me to attain anything like that would require tearing down pretty much all the psychological scaffolding under-pinning my self. A thought far too scary to contemplate.

hehehe We'll get our asses kicked for doing GF on the FF you wait and see.