You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Did this really need saying again?

Nick Leeson

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
from .tv front page - Rafa on Gerrard, WBA and the title - answers to journalists might shed a bit of light

Can't get on the offal from work, can someone bang it on here?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Journalist: Steven Gerrard picked up the Footballer Writers' Player of The Year award this week, what accolades can you pay to him?

I think it is a fantastic achievement for him and also for the club. He is a fantastic player with a lot of quality, but he also appreciates the work of the staff and his team-mates. He has quality on the pitch and the right mentality off the pitch.

Journalist: It probably surprises some people that he hasn't picked up the award in previous years. Has this been his best season under you?

He scored 21 goals last season and has 23 this season which shows he is very consistent and continuing to learn and improve - but I still think he can play even better. I think he has been good, but he has been injured this season and has not played with Torres as much. But still it has been a really good season for him and I am confident that he can improve.

Journalist: Obviously to finish first is the goal, but registering a second place finish would be pretty high up on your agenda?

We are already on 80 points, so 83 would be a club record and 86 would be much better. I am really pleased to be in this position at this stage of the season, but first place is the best and second could be good, but I am still confident that we will do something on Sunday.

Journalist: So what do you have to do to overtake Manchester United? What do Manchester United have that maybe Liverpool at the moment don't have?

Clearly they have spent big, big money on top class players so they can make mistakes and change players and you don't notice. If you remember when we played them they had Giggs, Scholes and Berbatov on the bench - we can't do this. We are talking about Gerrard and Torres all the time and they can play Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo or Tevez - it doesn't matter. They can hold 35,000 more fans in their stadium and that means more money which is a big difference. So how can you reduce the gap? Now, on the pitch we are reducing the gap which is very important. So we have to do the right things during the summer and keep the same mentality on the pitch.

Journalist: You have spoken many times about how Manchester United have all this money and perhaps a stronger depth of squad, but you are so close to them in the league. Does that mean that we can conclude that you are playing above your level?

I think we have performed really well during the season, but it is impossible to keep this level if you don't have a big squad. Some Manchester United players have spoken about the value of having a big squad saying that you can notice the difference at the end of the season. On the pitch we must perform at the same level, but you need to bring in new players and maintain the same level and keep the competition between the players - with everybody working hard and trying to be positive because there is a big difference every year in terms of money.

Journalist: Over the course of the season United have more points, but you must feel like you have almost won the second half of the season - even though it doesn't really give you anything?

No. You cannot be pleased with just this. You have to win the main trophy that is clear, but I would still say that to be in the position that we are at this moment - playing well and scoring a lot of goals is something really good for the future. Every single year is different - you cannot say next year will be easier, because again they will spend some money and we will have to sign the right players and not make mistakes. We are so close, but it could be better this year and we will see. We have to be positive. We have a young squad with a lot of young players and hopefully they will be better again next season.

Journalist: Liverpool play West Bromwich Albion this Sunday. Tony Mowbray has received a fair amount of stick for trying to play football. Do you think that is a bit unfair?

Yes. Clearly it is unfair because you see teams at the bottom of the table playing direct football or other styles of football and you cannot say which style is better. But at least he is trying to do things and has stuck to his own ideas during the whole season. Some games they have been really good and some games it has been the quality of players that has made the difference.

Journalist: As a man who has come from outside of English football, is it bad for our game that teams who don't play football are perhaps the ones that do stay in the Barclays Premier League?

Each manager has their own ideas and style and you have to respect that. What you prefer depends on the individual. Some fans will be really pleased with staying in the Premier League, but you have sympathy for someone who has tried to play football.

Journalist: I know you want to win trophies and you have won trophies, but how does this season compare with previous seasons at Liverpool because you are that much closer to winning the title?

In the Premier League it is not easy to win trophies when you have teams like Chelsea, United and Arsenal - and in the future maybe Manchester City, Tottenham, Aston Villa and other top sides, but to be contenders is the key because you can start to win trophies. If you are 20 points behind it is impossible. This year we are so close, which is good news for the future.

Journalist: Because you are so close, next year people will think it could be the year that Liverpool win the title?

You never know. Again I will say we have to win and hopefully this weekend Arsenal can do the right things for us and we will see. If not, we have to improve next season and keep the same mentality and same confidence.

Journalist: Having watched Liverpool this season. There aren't many aspects that you haven't improved upon. Surely as the manager you must feel that across the board the performance has raised?

Clearly there are some points where we can improve and some mistakes we have made, but again I will say we are in a very good position. People have said the draws may have cost us, but we have also won a lot of games towards the end - so in those games maybe if you were unlucky they could have been draws. We are in the position that we deserve to be in. The number of points we have is fantastic and on the whole the improvement of the squad has been really good and we must keep doing the same things.

Journalist: Have the draws against the likes of Hull changed your mindset? If you were to play against those sort of teams next year?

Not really because if you remember those games we had 20 or 25 attempts and sometimes the keeper got man of the match. In the home game against Stoke we had a goal disallowed in the first minute, which could have made a massive difference. Against teams like Newcastle and Blackburn we scored in the first half and the games were easier. This year we have scored lots of goals at the end of games, which shows character and belief in the team, but still if you score in the first half it will make it easier.

Journalist: Would you be happier to lose a couple more games next season if it meant that you actually won more games?

In terms of points yes, but in terms of the balance of the team - if you don't lose it means your team is strong. If you don't lose you know you can win. I prefer not to concede any goals and score more than anyone like this year. If we are scoring a lot of goals that means the team is offensive and in the last year we have scored more goals than anyone else in England. Some draws have cost us points so we have to improve and the only way is to keep creating chances and take them.

Journalist: It is interesting that you mention about the goals and the facts and figures are there for all to see. Yet some of those draws this season have been 0-0 draws which is quite uncharacteristic...

Yes, especially if you see the statistics when we have had maybe 20 or 25 attempts, which is difficult to explain. I was always saying the same thing - we had chances, but didn't take our chances and people were saying it is always the same, but it was true. If you see the attempts that we had against Newcastle it was maybe less chances than we had against Stoke for example.

Journalist: Just want to make one thing clear. Finally, you have not given up the title yet?

Not yet. We have to watch the game and hopefully enjoy it and then do our job on Sunday.

Journalist: Have you got a message for Arsene Wenger?

No - I think he has enough experience. Clearly, because they have lost the last games he will try to show something and the young players will want to show people that they are really good and play with a very good mentality. So I think that it could be a tough game for United.

What's the problem? The problem is he's said it before and it hasn't actually turned out to be all that true has it? He's had money and of the 40'ish million he spent in the summer, how much of it has been spent wisely?

With results like those above, and considering how poor we are in comparison to United, do we even dare trust him with a big budget, because 40 million isn't a big budget really is it. How much is a big budget? How much does a manager need to be gven a fair chance at challenging? 60m? 80m?

What's this thread about? Whether he's had money to spend, wisely or unwisely, or his answer to a question?

It IS all true, in terms of their speding power and the strength of their bench/squad.

I mean for God's sake, he virtually admits to his own mistakes in the same quotes, he'd be stupid not to.

If the question was "What's the main difference between Liverpool and Man Utd?", then what should he have answered?

No comment?

My players aren't good enough?

My tactics aren't good enough?

The back-room staff aren't good enough?

Seriously, what should the manager of LFC say to that question?

The only other true, and constructive, thing he could have replied that I can think of would be with regards to a lack of experience in challenging for the league, but he does go on to suggest that also.

If what he said about money was said with attitude, i.e. a rant, then I'll hold my hands up and admit it was unecessary - but there's nothing to suggest that at this stage.

Eh? My attitude, largely, at the time was that we would have to wait until May to judge how the season had panned out because we could easily win the European Cup and finish the season well.

The point in it, is that if you wanna insinuate that i'm a, 'whinging fanny', then i'll defend myself.

Paranoid much?

Brownie, the only reason I quoted you was to segue into suggesting what the question posed to Rafa might have been.

Journalist: Steven Gerrard picked up the Footballer Writers' Player of The Year award this week, what accolades can you pay to him?

I think it is a fantastic achievement for him and also for the club. He is a fantastic player with a lot of quality, but he also appreciates the work of the staff and his team-mates. He has quality on the pitch and the right mentality off the pitch.

Journalist: It probably surprises some people that he hasn't picked up the award in previous years. Has this been his best season under you?

He scored 21 goals last season and has 23 this season which shows he is very consistent and continuing to learn and improve - but I still think he can play even better. I think he has been good, but he has been injured this season and has not played with Torres as much. But still it has been a really good season for him and I am confident that he can improve.

Journalist: Obviously to finish first is the goal, but registering a second place finish would be pretty high up on your agenda?

We are already on 80 points, so 83 would be a club record and 86 would be much better. I am really pleased to be in this position at this stage of the season, but first place is the best and second could be good, but I am still confident that we will do something on Sunday.

Journalist: So what do you have to do to overtake Manchester United? What do Manchester United have that maybe Liverpool at the moment don't have?

Clearly they have spent big, big money on top class players so they can make mistakes and change players and you don't notice. If you remember when we played them they had Giggs, Scholes and Berbatov on the bench - we can't do this. We are talking about Gerrard and Torres all the time and they can play Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo or Tevez - it doesn't matter. They can hold 35,000 more fans in their stadium and that means more money which is a big difference. So how can you reduce the gap? Now, on the pitch we are reducing the gap which is very important. So we have to do the right things during the summer and keep the same mentality on the pitch.

Journalist: You have spoken many times about how Manchester United have all this money and perhaps a stronger depth of squad, but you are so close to them in the league. Does that mean that we can conclude that you are playing above your level?

I think we have performed really well during the season, but it is impossible to keep this level if you don't have a big squad. Some Manchester United players have spoken about the value of having a big squad saying that you can notice the difference at the end of the season. On the pitch we must perform at the same level, but you need to bring in new players and maintain the same level and keep the competition between the players - with everybody working hard and trying to be positive because there is a big difference every year in terms of money.

Journalist: Over the course of the season United have more points, but you must feel like you have almost won the second half of the season - even though it doesn't really give you anything?

No. You cannot be pleased with just this. You have to win the main trophy that is clear, but I would still say that to be in the position that we are at this moment - playing well and scoring a lot of goals is something really good for the future. Every single year is different - you cannot say next year will be easier, because again they will spend some money and we will have to sign the right players and not make mistakes. We are so close, but it could be better this year and we will see. We have to be positive. We have a young squad with a lot of young players and hopefully they will be better again next season.

Journalist: Liverpool play West Bromwich Albion this Sunday. Tony Mowbray has received a fair amount of stick for trying to play football. Do you think that is a bit unfair?

Yes. Clearly it is unfair because you see teams at the bottom of the table playing direct football or other styles of football and you cannot say which style is better. But at least he is trying to do things and has stuck to his own ideas during the whole season. Some games they have been really good and some games it has been the quality of players that has made the difference.

Journalist: As a man who has come from outside of English football, is it bad for our game that teams who don't play football are perhaps the ones that do stay in the Barclays Premier League?

Each manager has their own ideas and style and you have to respect that. What you prefer depends on the individual. Some fans will be really pleased with staying in the Premier League, but you have sympathy for someone who has tried to play football.

Journalist: I know you want to win trophies and you have won trophies, but how does this season compare with previous seasons at Liverpool because you are that much closer to winning the title?

In the Premier League it is not easy to win trophies when you have teams like Chelsea, United and Arsenal - and in the future maybe Manchester City, Tottenham, Aston Villa and other top sides, but to be contenders is the key because you can start to win trophies. If you are 20 points behind it is impossible. This year we are so close, which is good news for the future.

Journalist: Because you are so close, next year people will think it could be the year that Liverpool win the title?

You never know. Again I will say we have to win and hopefully this weekend Arsenal can do the right things for us and we will see. If not, we have to improve next season and keep the same mentality and same confidence.

Journalist: Having watched Liverpool this season. There aren't many aspects that you haven't improved upon. Surely as the manager you must feel that across the board the performance has raised?

Clearly there are some points where we can improve and some mistakes we have made, but again I will say we are in a very good position. People have said the draws may have cost us, but we have also won a lot of games towards the end - so in those games maybe if you were unlucky they could have been draws. We are in the position that we deserve to be in. The number of points we have is fantastic and on the whole the improvement of the squad has been really good and we must keep doing the same things.

Journalist: Have the draws against the likes of Hull changed your mindset? If you were to play against those sort of teams next year?

Not really because if you remember those games we had 20 or 25 attempts and sometimes the keeper got man of the match. In the home game against Stoke we had a goal disallowed in the first minute, which could have made a massive difference. Against teams like Newcastle and Blackburn we scored in the first half and the games were easier. This year we have scored lots of goals at the end of games, which shows character and belief in the team, but still if you score in the first half it will make it easier.

Journalist: Would you be happier to lose a couple more games next season if it meant that you actually won more games?

In terms of points yes, but in terms of the balance of the team - if you don't lose it means your team is strong. If you don't lose you know you can win. I prefer not to concede any goals and score more than anyone like this year. If we are scoring a lot of goals that means the team is offensive and in the last year we have scored more goals than anyone else in England. Some draws have cost us points so we have to improve and the only way is to keep creating chances and take them.

Journalist: It is interesting that you mention about the goals and the facts and figures are there for all to see. Yet some of those draws this season have been 0-0 draws which is quite uncharacteristic...

Yes, especially if you see the statistics when we have had maybe 20 or 25 attempts, which is difficult to explain. I was always saying the same thing - we had chances, but didn't take our chances and people were saying it is always the same, but it was true. If you see the attempts that we had against Newcastle it was maybe less chances than we had against Stoke for example.

Journalist: Just want to make one thing clear. Finally, you have not given up the title yet?

Not yet. We have to watch the game and hopefully enjoy it and then do our job on Sunday.

Journalist: Have you got a message for Arsene Wenger?

No - I think he has enough experience. Clearly, because they have lost the last games he will try to show something and the young players will want to show people that they are really good and play with a very good mentality. So I think that it could be a tough game for United.

So is that the full interview? If so, what's wrong with it? Seriously? What is wrong with any of those answers?

So is that the full interview? If so, what's wrong with it? Seriously? What is wrong with any of those answers?

With regards the money spent, where Rafa has said this:

Clearly they have spent big, big money on top class players so they can make mistakes and change players and you don't notice. If you remember when we played them they had Giggs, Scholes and Berbatov on the bench - we can't do this. We are talking about Gerrard and Torres all the time and they can play Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo or Tevez - it doesn't matter.

That bit for me makes no real sense. It would do if Rafa has only been given enough money to sign Torres, but he hasn't, he's spent plenty of money and yet admits he doesn't have the tools to do the job the way the mancs have.

Why are Babel, Riera, Lucas, and Keane not included in that list? Because that's £45m worth of players right there.

"We are already on 80 points, so 83 would be a club record".

Well, that's wrong for a start. Unless Rafa thinks football was invented at the same time as the satellite dish.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Fuck all

But some people can't seem to help themselves

Yes, it is fair to keep bringing this subject up, although I wish Rafa had kept the spotlight on the refereeing this season. It's more about internal wrangling with Tom and George than anything else.

But when you choose to spend £20m on Robbie Keane, can you really expect people to believe you?

We'll spend at least £40/50m again this summer when sales are taken into consideration, we need a right back that can cross the ball and attack, and a left sided attacker of real quality this summer thats all, thats what we should have got last summer, if Rafa does'nt buy these and buys his usual shower of crap, hes to blame not Rick Parry not Hicks and Gillete.

I notice in the past most have you have moaned about the home draws, with Stoke featuriongh prominently, but none of you want to address the points he makes about players failing to take their chances. No, let's concentrate on the bits we can bash him with. Even though it ignores the basic fact that when we've been in for players like Ronaldo and Walcott we've lost out because the club wouldn't pay what United and Arsenal would.

With regards the money spent, where Rafa has said this:

That bit for me makes no real sense. It would do if Rafa has only been given enough money to sign Torres, but he hasn't, he's spent plenty of money and yet admits he doesn't have the tools to do the job the way the mancs have.

Why are Babel, Riera, Lucas, and Keane not included in that list? Because that's £45m worth of players right there.

Yep.

I notice in the past most have you have moaned about the home draws, with Stoke featuriongh prominently, but none of you want to address the points he makes about players failing to take their chances. No, let's concentrate on the bits we can bash him with. Even though it ignores the basic fact that when we've been in for players like Ronaldo and Walcott we've lost out because the club wouldn't pay what United and Arsenal would.

Come on mate, that's just ridiculous.

Ridiculous. We were offered Ronaldo weren't we? We could have had Walcott couldn't we? I'm pretty sure I've read on here that Parry veto'd them because they weren't worth what was being asked.

Anyhow, the guy was asked a question and he answered it? People are just looking for what they can find to beat him over the head with a stick. How much stick is he taking over a future transfer of Alonso - despite continually denying it? I've said it before and I'll say it again - I think he should have walked at the end of the season, and then we could have gotten in someone else. And then we'd see what we'd see. Personally, given all the shit behind the scenes, the battles that have been fought, and the fact he was being replaced behind his back, I think he's done a great job - and I didn't expect us to be here at this point, I expected us to be in Arsenal's position.

Ah, fuck it. In future I'm better staying out of these threads.

I think Rafa came across well in the interview. I think he tries to demerit Man Utd with regard to the money thing too. Why give them anything? Why laud them? He doesn't like them. He doesn't like their manager. Fair enough.

* Obviously the facts show we have spent a fair bit ourselves. As fans we have all been frustrated we haven't gone all out for quality over quantity for a few years now.

With this said, it is not just the amounts of money both managers spend year to year that tells the whole story. You have to add up the cost of the players on the pitch and bench from week to week, and if you do that, Man Utd's team costs far in excess of ours.

Still, if Rafa could take down the revolving door and build things a bit more methodically by signing quality with the money he has at his disposal, the player for player cost might be much closer.

In short, Rafa plays the market a bit more, while Fergie is, on the whole, content with his team and only tweaks it (relatively speaking) year on year.