You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

• 2 weeks later...

Wife telling Daughters, " you're Dad's had a fall"

Which then becomes, " my Dad's had a fall"

"You're not getting any younger Dad"

The story was, I was wearing, ironically   sliders, slipped and fell into the pool. Bit wet you might say. Well, when the pool has been emptied it's just a 6' hole in the ground. Lying on my back, touched my head and thought, that's not good. Hit the side of pool, then full force onto the floor on my back.

On the 1-10 scale it's been a 12 when coughing, sneezing, burping or getting out of bed. Had cat scan and back and chest xrays, nothing broken. Happened last Friday and pain is down to a 7.

Don't let a Nogsy urchin have a pool.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

The story was, I was wearing, ironically   sliders, slipped and fell into the pool. Bit wet you might say. Well, when the pool has been emptied it's just a 6' hole in the ground. Lying on my back, touched my head and thought, that's not good. Hit the side of pool, then full force onto the floor on my back.

On the 1-10 scale it's been a 12 when coughing, sneezing, burping or getting out of bed. Had cat scan and back and chest xrays, nothing broken. Happened last Friday and pain is down to a 7.

Sounds nasty, but also that you might have had a lucky escape.

Get well soon. 

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

Sounds nasty, but also that you might have had a lucky escape.

Get well soon. 

Cheers Yorky, yea I think I did.

My last job was H&S Manager which my son in law was quick to remind me!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

YR’s red. That sounds like a bit more than ‘a fall.’

27 minutes ago, Champ said:

YR’s red. That sounds like a bit more than ‘a fall.’

Wouldn't disagree Champ, Wife heard me swear as my arms went up, rushed out and couldn't see me thinking I'd gone round the corner. Then she looked down!

I'll spare everyone the head wound photo, looks worse than it was.

It just wasn't my time.

The irony is how the Turks get away with accidents, I have to look away.

Had a worker yesterday holding two bare wires in socket to test the awning as the electrician hadn't turned up.

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

I slipped on the stairs the other night now nursing two fractured ribs. Don’t wear socks going up the stairs stupid Noggsy sod.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I slipped on the stairs the other night now nursing two fractured ribs. Don’t wear socks going up the stairs stupid Noggsy sod.

It must be a Nogsy thing! How's your coughing pain?

I slid out of bed onto the floor this morning, had no way to turn and had to shuffle my arse across the floor to the end of the bed to get myself on my feet.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

It must be a Nogsy thing! How's your coughing pain?

I slid out of bed onto the floor this morning, had no way to turn and had to shuffle my arse across the floor to the end of the bed to get myself on my feet.

Every movement is sheer pain I coughed earlier and nearly shit myself with the pain.

I’m holding onto anything and anyone to move if I can, sitting is pain, lying is pain it’s fucking awful mate.

11 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Every movement is sheer pain I coughed earlier and nearly shit myself with the pain.

I’m holding onto anything and anyone to move if I can, sitting is pain, lying is pain it’s fucking awful mate.

Feeling your pain brother. Hope it doesn't last too long. 

• Upvote 1

Get well soon mate. I remember walking on a pavement over a dried out stream in Greece. No barriers, no warning signs, nothing. Fortunately it was broad daylight but dreaded the thought of walking there at night, especially if I was pissed.

10ft drop to solid concrete. I feel your pain, best wishes.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

If we go out to the theatre and for something to eat, I have to take two pairs of specs: one for the stage and one for the menu.

It's getting fucking ridiculous this age shit. 

I had a pain free day the other week. I made the mistake of saying that out loud to the wife. 

Since then I’ve had problems with my knee, ankle, foot and face. My ears have also become blocked. 

I don’t think she’s responsible but I wouldn’t put it past her. 

• Haha 1

On 14/03/2024 at 15:40, DalyanPete said:

Wouldn't disagree Champ, Wife heard me swear as my arms went up, rushed out and couldn't see me thinking I'd gone round the corner. Then she looked down!

I'll spare everyone the head wound photo, looks worse than it was.

It just wasn't my time.

The irony is how the Turks get away with accidents, I have to look away.

Had a worker yesterday holding two bare wires in socket to test the awning as the electrician hadn't turned up.

Brother of mine , who fancied himself as an all-rounder in the building trade and in the absence of any wire strippers , and also believing the power was off decided it would be a good idea to bare a couple of cables with his teeth. 

You can guess the rest ! 

• Haha 3