You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glen Johnson....

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy with signing Johnson as he is a good player but in terms of adding to our squad depth to be challenging United we need to be looking at players in the final third who can come in and do a good job when players like Torres and Gerrard are injured, they should be a priority.

Johnson would be a good signing for you lot imo, especially if he can step up for one of the top 4.

However, I've heard reports of Arbeloa hankering for a move back to Spain, reportedly for 8 million quid. Can't find a source for the life of me to back this up though, as its just what I've seen on my travels. Fair play, he's approaching the end of his contract and I can understand if you want to sell now, but I thought he would have been worth more than 8 million to you. 10 at the very least.

And besides, If GJ comes in and Arbeloa goes out, you've just ended up back where you started, short of cover on the right hand side of defence, albeit with a ten million pound loss if GJ comes in for 18 million and Arby leaves for 8.

Just my two pence worth. Make of it what you will.

Johnson would be a good signing for you lot imo, especially if he can step up for one of the top 4.

However, I've heard reports of Arbeloa hankering for a move back to Spain, reportedly for 8 million quid. Can't find a source for the life of me to back this up though, as its just what I've seen on my travels. Fair play, he's approaching the end of his contract and I can understand if you want to sell now, but I thought he would have been worth more than 8 million to you. 10 at the very least.

And besides, If GJ comes in and Arbeloa goes out, you've just ended up back where you started, short of cover on the right hand side of defence, albeit with a ten million pound loss if GJ comes in for 18 million and Arby leaves for 8.

Arby? Really?

Anyway that £10 million loss isn't a loss if you view Johnson as an improvement on Arbeloa.

That's spot on. If Arbeloa goes we still need to buy two right backs, if he stays then all we need is a 4th choice cb and reina, cavalieri, insua, aurelio, carra, skrtel, agger, say distin, arbeloa and johnson is class imo

We have Darby and Degen even if Bob goes, including Johnson that will be 3 right backs, and Carra can also play there.... we don't need any more.

Surely if you want to build from this season past though, you would want to have a little more than a largely-unproven-in-the-pl local lad and a semi perma-crock though as cover for RB?

I know I would.

And besides, hasn't Carra come out and said he doesn't like playing on the right? Or have I been ill-informed?

Surely if you want to build from this season past though, you would want to have a little more than a largely-unproven-in-the-pl local lad and a semi perma-crock though as cover for RB?

I know I would.

And besides, hasn't Carra come out and said he doesn't like playing on the right? Or have I been ill-informed?

I don't think it's a case of him not liking it, more along the lines of him not having the legs to last the full 90 as it involves a lot more running.

I know I would.

I don't think it is right that players refuse to play in certain positions. If full back was never an option for Carra he would never have made it at Liverpool, he would be playing somewhere else given that there was no way he would have dislodged Henchoz and Hyppia in those early years.

I don't think we need any more right backs, we have enough cover if Johnson is injured, we just need to trust them.

I don't think it is right that players refuse to play in certain positions. If full back was never an option for Carra he would never have made it at Liverpool, he would be playing somewhere else given that there was no way he would have dislodged Henchoz and Hyppia in those early years.

I don't think we need any more right backs, we have enough cover if Johnson is injured, we just need to trust them.

I think it is more a case of Carragher struggling to play right back rather than not wanting to per se.

carragher has run through brick walls for the club, so I don't think anyone can question his loyalty (not saying you are by the way), I do genuinely think he has accepted his limitations.

Degen is just pants and not worth consideration.

I don't think it's a case of him not liking it, more along the lines of him not having the legs to last the full 90 as it involves a lot more running.

Aye. He doesn't stike me as one to run a lot during the game. Maybe if Roy Evans worked on his legs (per se) when he first broke through, we could be safely doing a job there now?