You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prison

Section_31

Call me naive but I didn't know until the other day that prisoners had TVs in their rooms.

The fuck?

Sky News

Dealers are breaking into British jails to sell drugs to inmates who are living such comfortable lives that they are ignoring chances to escape, says a prison officers' leader.

Travis, assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, says convicts' lives are too "cushy".

He said they were treated to luxuries such as breakfast in bed and TV in their cells, and in some cases were being offered cash perks for good behaviour.

And he said other cases had been uncovered of prostitutes entering open jails to service clients.

Mr Travis said: "Members of the public were climbing over the prison wall to take drugs into prison," he said.

"They had a ladder on the opposite side of the wall and prisoners were so comfortable in the environment they were living in, that none of the prisoners tried to climb up the ladder and escape.

"Now, to me that says there's something wrong in society when people are breaking into prisons to bring drugs and prostitutes, and the prisoners are quite happy to stay in our prisons."

Mr Travis denies his claims are an attempt at pressuring the government into increasing staffing levels at jails.

Although, he conceded that officers in some situations are not in control of prisons.

"We have got no-go areas in certain prisons because prisoners have got complete control," he said.

"There is not sufficient staff, there is no interaction between staff.

"We have got a serious crisis in our prisons today, but unfortunately prisons are not a vote-winner, so we are a soft target for the Government to force its fiscal policy on public servants."

But the Prison Service rejects Mr Travis' claims, saying it is "ludicrous" to suggest that prison is cushy.

"The comments by POA undermine the excellent work done by prison officers - their own members," a spokesperson said.

"It is simply not true that there are areas of prisons that are no go areas for staff. Prisoners do try to escape, but the prison service has an excellent record in preventing such escapes.

"The POA's description of prisons is out of touch with reality."

Inmates lives too 'cushy'A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice also defended the conditions in British prisons.

He said "harsh" regimes would not lead to a reduction in reoffending.

Prisoners who misbehaved could have their TV access taken away and those who had sets in their cells paid £1 a week to rent them, he added.

However, shadow justice secretary Nick Herbert asys a "fundamental shake-up" of the prisons system is needed.

"Prisons should be places of hard work and restoration, preparing offenders to go straight," he said.

"Instead we have overcrowded jails where drugs are rife, prisoners are too often idle and there is little purposeful activity."

Sky News presenter Kay Burley spoke to a prisoner, Kevin, inside Nottingham Prison last June as part of Crime Uncovered.

He told her that after serving a five-year term, he thought prison was not tough.

"I know what to expect but, prison life isn't really that hard," he said.

When she asked what it would take to make sure he did not return to jail, he answered: "I don't know, padded up 23 hours a day I suppose, no visits, something like that."

My mates a prison guard and he was telling us about some daft prisoner who upon his arrival had guards shut him in his cell as they do and he just went beserk barrading the door shouting at them saying they wont get in.Soft fuck forgot the doors open outwards.They just walked in a pushed hi self made dam out of the way.

• Upvote 1

A relative of mine is looking at a short custodial term... (beat crap out of a perve) on hearing this on friday she is now looking forward to a short break from home life of cooking cleaning and child care....

Isn't prison supposed to be a punishment?

• 10 years later...

Found out today my 18 year old cousin was sent down in February for dealing class A drugs at a music festival. My uncle hadn't even told my Dad about it, my Mum found out through some gossip back home.

Well brought up, nice house, Dad has his own IT business, I knew he had gone off the rails a wee bit but fucking Hell, that's probably him fucked for life at 18. And I thought I was the dickhead in the family.

My mate's a prison guard now, seems to like it but it sounds like a total shit show. Not only is widespread drug use known about it's actively tolerated, as the alternative is that the prisoners will riot because they don't have enough exercise time, education or work programmes due to the cuts. Sounds very much like the American prison system now, basically a dumping ground for the recycling of criminals into worse criminals.

Found out today my 18 year old cousin was sent down in February for dealing class A drugs at a music festival. My uncle hadn't even told my Dad about it, my Mum found out through some gossip back home.

Well brought up, nice house, Dad has his own IT business, I knew he had gone off the rails a wee bit but fucking Hell, that's probably him fucked for life at 18. And I thought I was the dickhead in the family.

Sounds a bit harsh that mate, unless he was dealing Escobar quantities of the stuff.  Was it a first offence?

Sounds a bit harsh that mate, unless he was dealing Escobar quantities of the stuff.  Was it a first offence?

Does seem a bit harsh, I only know what I read in the paper 'intent to supply' as no one has spoken to my Uncle about it yet.

Given they've kept this quiet for 4 months I'm not sure what else he'd been up to but I'd guess it was a first offence.

He had charlie on him for his own use & a bag of pills to sell by the sounds of it & there was a gang of them caught & sent down.

• Upvote 1

Does seem a bit harsh, I only know what I read in the paper 'intent to supply' as no one has spoken to my Uncle about it yet.

Given they've kept this quiet for 4 months I'm not sure what else he'd been up to but I'd guess it was a first offence.

He had charlie on him for his own use & a bag of pills to sell by the sounds of it & there was a gang of them caught & sent down.

It'll teach him a valuable lesson.

Don't get caught.

• Upvote 1

My mate works in a prison as a chef. Don't know how he puts up with the amount of knobheads that are in there. He isn't in a very high risk prison, just has low level offenders.

Most sound like thick bastards who just like casing shit and drama without being particularly nasty or dangerous. They also see prison as an occupational hazard or inconvenience rather than a punishment.

• Upvote 1

My brother in law whom I despise was sent to prison a while back for stabbing someone. It was a glorious day when I found out, made even sweeter that he had not turned up to his sentencing so the police had been and ‘extracted’ him from his house and smashed his tele in the process.

We got tasked with having to visit the first time because we’re the only ones who can drive and had to give the mother in law a lift. I went there absolutely beside myself with excitement at the prospect of hearing how bad it was, tales of violence, horrible conditions and generally revelling in his misery.

Genuinely one of the most deflating experiences of my life. It was more like a college in appearance, own clothes (I had been praying he’d be in a bronson style patchwork boilersuit) and sounded a like a holiday.

‘Pad’ to himself, tv, console, decent meals. He was even ordering clothes out of a catalogue. He was genuinely not arsed about getting out.

He did say there was a dwarf in there called shotgun who’d been bummed by purple aki but I think he was just trying to cheer me up because I was so gutted he wasn’t suffering enough for my liking.

• Upvote 3

My brother in law whom I despise was sent to prison a while back for stabbing someone. It was a glorious day when I found out, made even sweeter that he had not turned up to his sentencing so the police had been and ‘extracted’ him from his house and smashed his tele in the process.

We got tasked with having to visit the first time because we’re the only ones who can drive and had to give the mother in law a lift. I went there absolutely beside myself with excitement at the prospect of hearing how bad it was, tales of violence, horrible conditions and generally revelling in his misery.

Genuinely one of the most deflating experiences of my life. It was more like a college in appearance, own clothes (I had been praying he’d be in a bronson style patchwork boilersuit) and sounded a like a holiday.

‘Pad’ to himself, tv, console, decent meals. He was even ordering clothes out of a catalogue. He was genuinely not arsed about getting out.

He did say there was a dwarf in there called shotgun who’d been bummed by purple aki but I think he was just trying to cheer me up because I was so gutted he wasn’t suffering enough for my liking.

Walton, and I guess he's on remand?

Purple Aki is much loved in there - one of the senior officers told us * that someone offered to make a mini noose, so PA could put his cock in it and he'd give him a tug from the landing above. 

* True story, though the officer might have been bullshitting us trainees.

One of the most facepalm things I’ve possibly ever seen was a young lad repeatedly bleating to the copper who’d just arrested him at a festival “I wasn’t going to sell them, they’re just for me and my mates” (which seemed genuinely the case, from how green and terrified he was) to the point the copper said “I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that but strongly advise you to stop saying it sir, or I’ll have no choice but to record it as evidence.”

I even said to the lad “He’s trying to help you out here, the higher charge is just intending to supply them to ANYONE else”, but he kept on repeating it for ages, the copper ran out of free passes to give him and he was subsequently locked up for just over a year.

I was virtually eating my whole hand by the finish. Like watching a car crash in freeze frame, as the jump up from personal to intent in terms of making your future difficult can obviously be severe.

Walton, and I guess he's on remand?

Purple Aki is much loved in there - one of the senior officers told us * that someone offered to make a mini noose, so PA could put his cock in it and he'd give him a tug from the landing above. 

* True story, though the officer might have been bullshitting us trainees.

Forest Bank, but from what I understood it wasn’t there that purps had got hold of him.

Went to see my mate who got done for stabbing someone 18 time (anyone remember the maddest thing your bird has ever done thread?).

Pretty much the same theme as Geoff's post. Astounded at how laid back the place was and also the amount of prisoners in their mid to late seventies. My mate was completely oblivious as to why he couldn't get a job in the kitchen with loads of sharp knives about. They basically get free time and the opportunity to go the gym as well as go on certain courses which make NVQ level one in IT seem like a PHD.

Me and my other mate were waiting to go in and were sitting next to this legal clerk visiting. She was gorgeous, tanned, dark hair and big tits. As soon as we walked into the visiting hall everyone started drooling at her. We sat down waiting for my mate and she sat down opposite this fella in his late 40s. She started talking to him asking him his name etc but he never said anything and she asked him whether he wanted to say anything about his appeal against his sentence.

He then said "my name isn't Mr Jackson. Think you've gone to the wrong seat but never mind, you've just given me wank bank material for the next six months love"

• Upvote 4

There's also a weird mindset about people in prison or people who have come out of prison. Generally that they are more savvy, smug, streetwise and tougher than your average person.

I used to play footy with an absolute bellend who caused death by dangerous driving and was in prison for 9 years. He only spent 4 and a half inside but he strutted round like he was some hard knock when all he had done was get shit faced and knocked a pensioner over. But people were actually genuinely afraid of him because he'd been in prison.

The only thing that would do my head in about prison would be trying to avoid cunts I never want to speak or associate with and the general boredom of it. I would shit myself though if I was in a Category A prison though.

• Upvote 1