You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For those that missed it yesterday.....

This is the statement that we were asked to read out at the meeting

STATEMENT FROM KAREN GILL (Bill Shankly’s granddaughter)

First I would like to thank each and everyone of you for honouring my grandfather's name by calling this Union 'The Spirit Of Shankly.' For me though it's more than just honouring his name. In these times of corporate gluttony I am truly heartened to discover that there are still so many people who embody my granddad's spirit. It's an Olympic spirit: passionate pure and true. It's a dream of greatness and glory which comes from dedication, hard work and integrity. In this dream, money is only a means to an end, it’s not the end itself. My granddad had a dream for Liverpool Football Club and you are all helping to keep that dream alive. It’s the people with dreams who achieve things in the end because they have a vision which drives them on.

We know Bill Shankly “made the people happy", but I know that you would have all made him happy were he alive to see this legendary support today.

I speak on behalf of the Shankly family when I say that we are wholeheartedly behind The Sprit Of Shankly.

Karen Gill March 2008

This is the statement that we were asked to read out at the meeting

STATEMENT FROM KAREN GILL (Bill Shankly’s granddaughter)

First I would like to thank each and everyone of you for honouring my grandfather's name by calling this Union 'The Spirit Of Shankly.' For me though it's more than just honouring his name. In these times of corporate gluttony I am truly heartened to discover that there are still so many people who embody my granddad's spirit. It's an Olympic spirit: passionate pure and true. It's a dream of greatness and glory which comes from dedication, hard work and integrity. In this dream, money is only a means to an end, it’s not the end itself. My granddad had a dream for Liverpool Football Club and you are all helping to keep that dream alive. It’s the people with dreams who achieve things in the end because they have a vision which drives them on.

We know Bill Shankly “made the people happy", but I know that you would have all made him happy were he alive to see this legendary support today.

I speak on behalf of the Shankly family when I say that we are wholeheartedly behind The Sprit Of Shankly.

Karen Gill March 2008

Without wanting to piss on any bonfires but is this really what it's about for most people? I know a few people involved, and wouldn't question their intentions and aims for the project, but I'm just not buying that most people are in in for some true, olympic ideal. If Hicks was lashing cash round and bringing talent in in an Abramovic style a great deal of Liverpool supporters would love him. So a great deal of it is about money. Check out the hankering after any snidey cheat who can cross a ball and we'll have the integrity bit boxed off too.

I think the objectives of a fair few of the people involved will be true and positive but lets not kid ourselves that the issue for most is about anything other than cash.

Liverpool FC fans in angry protest at Americans

Mar 17 2008 by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

HUNDREDS of Liverpool fans staged a noisy protest against the club’s American owners at Anfield on Saturday.

They converged outside the directors’ entrance, behind the Main Stand, at around 2.15pm to make their feelings known about Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Supporters said it was the most vocal demonstration so far against the billionaire tycoons, whose running of the club has repeatedly sparked anger.

Although the protest passed peacefully and was over before the Reds kicked off against Reading, witnesses reported seeing red distress flares set off in a very visible show of discontent.

One fan said: “It was loud and angry, but it was well-behaved and well-marshalled.

“The message was loud and clear to the American owners – feelings against them are as strong as ever.

“Certainly the fans demonstrating on Saturday want them out as much as they ever did.”

Earlier in the day, hundreds of fans had attended a meeting of the Spirit Of Shankly (SOS) supporters’ union at the Olympia, in West Derby Road.

They ratified the organisation’s constitution and voted to approach legendary manager Bill Shankly’s granddaughter Karen Gill about becoming its patron.

SOS chairman Nicky Alt read out a statement from Ms Gill, in which she thanked the union’s members for naming it after her grandfather.

She added: “In these times of corporate gluttony, I am truly heartened to discover that there are still so many people who embody my granddad’s spirit.

“It’s an Olympic spirit – passionate pure and true. It’s a dream of greatness and glory which comes from dedication, hard work and integrity. In this dream, money is only a means to an end, it’s not the end itself.

“My granddad had a dream for Liverpool Football Club and you are all helping to keep that dream alive.

“We know Bill Shankly ‘made the people happy’, but I know that you would have all made him happy were he alive to see this legendary support today.

“I speak on behalf of the Shankly family when I say that we are wholeheartedly behind the Sprit Of Shankly.”

nick.coligan@liverpool.com

Liverpool FC fans in angry protest at Americans - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

I was there (in the Main Stand car park) and it was very impressive indeed. Despite rows of stewards at the gates of each end checking peoples tickets there was still a good number there and the chanting with the flares producing a great red mist looked boss.

Did anything happen at the club shop?

I went to the meeting on Saturday and was reading all the leaflets etc. I am quitely impressed with what they are doing and the way in which they are going about. Really proffessional and fair play to everyone involved as they are putting a lot of their own time/money into this.

Good luck to them and I know I will (or try my best too) be attending any fundraisers/meetings etc that they have in the future.