You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Sexy Beast and Layer Cake were very good. Love Honour and Obey was a comedy wasnt it? But Snatch and that Footsoldier film? No chance.

A very funny gangster movie. Love that film. Rhys Ifans is great but the shootout scene is just brilliant "Fix Bayonets!" 

The Holdovers is very good. No explosions, no guns, no special effects, it captures the feel of an early 1970s film. 

Paul Giamatti plays a teacher looking after kids in a boarding school who have to stay during Christmas holidays. It's the same lead and same director as Sideways which is also well worth watching. 

It deserves an instant place in the good Christmas films list. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Watched it last night myself.

What the fuck was that ending?

Over two hours and it felt like it was an extended TV show pilot with more episodes to come.

Plot holes everywhere, but some parts of a decent film with two things that have always unsettled me in it, the ship being one of them.

Julia Roberts character was just awful, I know she was supposed to be but even so.

A disappointing 5/10, mostly because of that ending

You’re right about the ending. Cast and plot gave it the chance to be brilliant but they completely fucked that. Like putting tuna on a pizza. Dickheads. It did have some good parts though. 

4/10. I’m pissed off. Fuck were the deer all about?

Cocaine’s dead as fucking dead, (it appears) acid is coming back in a big fucking way. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You’re right about the ending. Cast and plot gave it the chance to be brilliant but they completely fucked that. Like putting tuna on a pizza. Dickheads. It did have some good parts though. 

4/10. I’m pissed off. Fuck were the deer all about?

Cocaine’s dead as fucking dead, (it appears) acid is coming back in a big fucking way. 

I wanted to see the bit were the daughter is watching her favourite TV show and sees her mum in it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, manwiththestick said:

I wanted to see the bit were the daughter is watching her favourite TV show and sees her mum in it.

Hahaha. Pissed me off that end bit, I’m still fuming this morning. Far too many unexplained things and far too little Kevin Bacon. The other daughters constantly erect nipples were great. 

14 hours ago, Elite said:

Killers of The Flower Moon - 8/10

Very good but not a classic. The runtime doesn't help, as it drags on for an eternity. 

I’ve just finished it. Not what I expecting. I felt it was all a bit flat. Definitely needs a rewatch with tapered expectation. 

On 10/12/2023 at 21:07, TD_LFC said:

You're why we can't have nice things, I'm blaming you when we get Scary Movie 9 and Fast and the Furious 37, Villeneuve is great.

I liked Sicario but I'm not as high on it as some, Blade Runner 2049 is better than the original, Prisoners and Arrival are both great smaller scale movies.

Dune is the only one I can take or leave but that's possibly a unique situation where it needs to be judged in it's entirety (if we ever get there) and ends up greater than the sum of its parts.

Brent Cloud

Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse

Quality - 8 out of 10!

Thats a big shout for an animated kids’ film, but watched the first one with my lad who loves Spider-Man, and we watched this one today together. It’s brilliant - so well out together, but really edgy and cool visuals. That’s both films too.

If you’ve got kids or you haven’t, this is a hard recommend - better than any avengers shite. Genuinely laughed many times during both films

• Upvote 1

The Fault In Our Stars.

I watched this because I love Shailene Woodley. Big mistake. This was seriously hard going. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film but definitely not fun for all the family. Brilliant cameo from Willem Dafoe. 7/10.

39 minutes ago, Mook said:

The Fault In Our Stars.

I watched this because I love Shailene Woodley. Big mistake. This was seriously hard going. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film but definitely not fun for all the family. Brilliant cameo from Willem Dafoe. 7/10.

I love her too. 

While you Were Sleeping 

90's rom-com with Sandra Bullock. Thought I'd indulge her and let her pick a film in bed last night. I watched it passively. It was actually quite funny at times and the grandad from How I Met Your Mother is in it. Sandra Bullock though, bloody stunning back in the 90s. 5/10

A few I've watched recently-

Fall- 7/10. Good, taut little thriller where two rock climbers get stuck on an abandoned radio mast. The back story didn't quite work, but the scenes at height were terrifying, even on just a 27" monitor, I was sweating and cringing and I'm not usually all that bothered by heights.

A Walk Among the Tombstones- 6/10. Liam Neeson revenge flick where he plays a washed-up cop hired to find the killer of a drug lord's wife. More understated than the increasingly silly Taken and Taken-style films that he's been typecast in, worth a watch if nothing else grabs you.

Dragged Across Concrete- 8/10. Really enjoyed this- Mel Gibson plays a hard-up cop who decides to go rogue and earn some serious cash when he and his partner are suspended without pay for beating a suspect. Very well done.

The Little Things- 3/10. I might have reviewed this before, but it's worth reiterating that it's a badly cast, poorly scripted mess full of stupid plot holes and ridiculous decisions. Terrible film and it's a shame to see Denzel in it.

54 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

While you Were Sleeping 

90's rom-com with Sandra Bullock. Thought I'd indulge her and let her pick a film in bed last night. I watched it passively. It was actually quite funny at times and the grandad from How I Met Your Mother is in it. Sandra Bullock though, bloody stunning back in the 90s. 5/10

I like a good romantic comedy. While You Were Sleeping is one of the better examples from the latter part of the 20th century, in my opinion. A steady 7/10.

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

I like a good romantic comedy. While You Were Sleeping is one of the better examples from the latter part of the 20th century, in my opinion. A steady 7/10.

I concur. Nothing is going to beat When Harry Met Sally because its as near as you can get to cynical modern dating, and very funny. I also like The Wedding Singer. love this bit....