You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Citizen Kane is a great film imo. A man who had everything apart from that for which he'd been pining his entire life, the love of his family.

Rosebud, signified that; the last time Charlie had been truly happy.

Poignant, great story, ground breaking, and ultimately heart-breaking.

My only knock on Citizen Kane (just as it is for It's A Wonderful Life), is that it's just so fucking loud and jarring.

• Upvote 4

The Rules of The Game

A 1939 French classic, telling the story of unrequited love, the bourgeoisie, wife swapping and blasting pheasants and bunny rabbits to bit with shotguns.

Interesting, hammy, mostly enjoyable, but I'll happily pass on the scenes of anti-Semitism and animal slaughter thanks.

7/10 NERD

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

You should put films in their historical context. It is frequently rated as the best film ever made because it is a great leap forward in film narration, which then other films incorporated and audiences no longer experienced as innovative.

Yup, the cinematography is breath taking, especially in comparison to contemporary films. Some nice discussion here- https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/20-inspired-visual-moments-citizen-kane

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

You should put films in their historical context. It is frequently rated as the best film ever made because it is a great leap forward in film narration, which then other films incorporated and audiences no longer experienced as innovative.

Id rather put them in the "did i enjoy it bucket" but i get what youre saying.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Citizen Kane is a great film imo. A man who had everything apart from that for which he'd been pining his entire life, the love of his family.

My only knock on Citizen Kane (just as it is for It's A Wonderful Life), is that it's just so fucking loud and jarring.

Wonderful life pisses all over it, to quote Barry Norman.

I fucking hate It's a Wonderful Life.

Firstly, it's about my most hated subject and secondly, it's a load of shouty, sentimental shite.

'Ooh let's watch It's a Wonderful Life?'.

'How about I rip your eyes out with a boiling hot teaspoon instead?'

• Downvote 1

Finally got around to watching 'Nobody'. On Netflix.

Have never watched a single second of Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul so don't know Bob Odenkirk, but he came across as a likeable protagonist and the film had more of a sense of humour than most in the genre. I enjoyed it and it didn't overstay its welcome. Connie Neilsson was a bit under used.

7 / 10.

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

"65" where Darth Vader's grandson lives on a planet just like ours in every single way but decides to fly elsewhere and colonise another planet (no idea why). His ship hits a meteor storm and he crash lands on Earth, you've guessed it, in 1965. Actually, no, it was 65 million years ago. Anyway, everyone dies in the crash apart from him and some little girl and they have to fend off some mad dinosaurs for 90 minutes. Can't really recall a huge amount of plot and it was all very ludicrous and not very brain taxing at all. Still, an easy, if dumb, watch and the CGI is decent for a change. 

5/10  

I haven't watched this and I don't really want to, but there should be more films with dinosaurs in them. There's not enough dinosaurs on film. Take out the Jurassic Park/World films and what are we left with?

On 09/09/2023 at 20:47, Kepler-186 said:

Elite Squad (2007) 

Brazilian film set in late 90s Rio starring Wagner Moura (Pablo Escobar of Narcos) as a captain in the elite BOPE police unit. 

Corrupt coppers, drug lords in the favelas, idealistic new recruits and some quality shoot outs. 

8/10 

There is a sequel too that is very good.

50 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I haven't watched this and I don't really want to, but there should be more films with dinosaurs in them. There's not enough dinosaurs on film. Take out the Jurassic Park/World films and what are we left with?

The Land Before Time? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Finally got around to watching 'Nobody'. On Netflix.

Have never watched a single second of Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul so don't know Bob Odenkirk, but he came across as a likeable protagonist and the film had more of a sense of humour than most in the genre. I enjoyed it and it didn't overstay its welcome. Connie Neilsson was a bit under used.

7 / 10.

I didn’t think that was possible.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I fucking hate It's a Wonderful Life.

Firstly, it's about my most hated subject and secondly, it's a load of shouty, sentimental shite.

'Ooh let's watch It's a Wonderful Life?'.

'How about I rip your eyes out with a boiling hot teaspoon instead?'

Fucking hell Mook, I thought I was the registered forum misanthrope!

6 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

5 hours ago, Mudface said:

Yup, the cinematography is breath taking, especially in comparison to contemporary films. Some nice discussion here- https://www.bfi.org.uk/features/20-inspired-visual-moments-citizen-kane

My film theory prof at uni used to tell a story to each generation, he and his buddies (who all thought the sun shone out of Citizen's Kane's and Orson's arse, of course) had a TV show about films (a long tune ago) and would occasionally have very high profile special guests on. One time they had Welles on and there is apparently a huge mistake in the film, because the way the scene is edited, the nurse or anybody else couldn't have heard the word rosebud, so they asked him about if off camera and he said Welles just laughed, winked and added, "there was another nurse in the room, but you don't see her".

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

My film theory prof at uni used to tell a story to each generation, he and his buddies (who all thought the sun shone out of Citizen's Kane's and Orson's arse, of course) had a TV show about films (a long tune ago) and would occasionally have very high profile special guests on. One time they had Welles on and there is apparently a huge mistake in the film, because the way the scene is edited, the nurse or anybody else couldn't have heard the word rosebud, so they asked him about if off camera and he said Welles just laughed, winked and added, "there was another nurse in the room, but you don't see her".

And then they discovered wanking and life was good.

Rise of the Footsoldier: Vengeance - 8/10

This is very good, definitely the most serious and least cartoonish of the franchise. It's pretty much a stand alone movie, with a few nods to the other films but nothing vital if you've not seen them.

The action scenes are excellent and the story/characters are as you'd expect but in a good way.

There was less 'mockney' language than previous installments but when Fairbrass did come out with one his famous 'Fackin' Cunts' there was audible giggling in the cinema, myself included. 

Overall it was highly entertaining and enjoyable.

Craig Fairbrass may be no Robert De Niro but he's found his niche in these types of films and he's boss at it.

On 18/09/2023 at 13:22, Total Longo said:

"65" where Darth Vader's grandson lives on a planet just like ours in every single way but decides to fly elsewhere and colonise another planet (no idea why). His ship hits a meteor storm and he crash lands on Earth, you've guessed it, in 1965. Actually, no, it was 65 million years ago. Anyway, everyone dies in the crash apart from him and some little girl and they have to fend off some mad dinosaurs for 90 minutes. Can't really recall a huge amount of plot and it was all very ludicrous and not very brain taxing at all. Still, an easy, if dumb, watch and the CGI is decent for a change. 

5/10  

You are being generous. It's shit. The studio knew it was shit and delayed its release and then eventually dumped it out like skanky terd

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Hell or High Water - Netflix - 8.5/10 

Absolute gem of a movie this. Jeff Bridges is superb as ever. The scene in the T-bone steak cafe is funny as fuck. Wasn’t overly keen on the ending but a brilliant film all the same. 

Cool- damn shame I picked The Little Things over this last week, that's an absolute turkey of a film.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Hell or High Water - Netflix - 8.5/10 

Absolute gem of a movie this. Jeff Bridges is superb as ever. The scene in the T-bone steak cafe is funny as fuck. Wasn’t overly keen on the ending but a brilliant film all the same. 

I might have seen this but I’ll watch it in case I haven’t. 

On 18/09/2023 at 13:22, Total Longo said:

5/10  

Hang on: Star Wars meets Dinosaurs?

Fucking hell. 

Anyway, "Talk To Me" - Overrated but not bad. Worth a watch if you're a horror fan.

On 19/09/2023 at 15:57, Elite said:

Rise of the Footsoldier: Vengeance - 8/10

This is very good, definitely the most serious and least cartoonish of the franchise. It's pretty much a stand alone movie, with a few nods to the other films but nothing vital if you've not seen them.

The action scenes are excellent and the story/characters are as you'd expect but in a good way.

There was less 'mockney' language than previous installments but when Fairbrass did come out with one his famous 'Fackin' Cunts' there was audible giggling in the cinema, myself included. 

Overall it was highly entertaining and enjoyable.

Craig Fairbrass may be no Robert De Niro but he's found his niche in these types of films and he's boss at it.

Yeah he's class, he's underrated IMO. I want his leather jacket with the fur collar too. 

• Upvote 1