You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

1994 - Blur v Oasis. Pick a side...

madstock

Top of the Britpops?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Top of the Britpops?

If we're talking 1994 then Blur. I loved Sunday, Sunday, She's So High etc...

However, by '96 I was in University and played What's The Story....all the way through my 1st year.

At the same time, every girl in my halls was listening to Jagged Little Pill. Alanis bastard Morrisette blasting out of loads of rooms.

Ahhh, them were the days. :thumbup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 26 and that is the music of my youth.

I think a lot of stuff form the 80's is shite, just not my era.

Britpop is the music of my late teens/early 20's, so has fond memories of going out on the lash etc, and I probably have albums of a few of those bands tucked away.

Not aged well though most of it. OK for nostalgia but that's about it.

Some of it, like Kula Shaker is a downright abomination.

You're right about the 80's - bleak time but for a few beacons of light.

Britpop is the music of my late teens/early 20's, so has fond memories of going out on the lash etc, and I probably have albums of a few of those bands tucked away.

Tattva, acintya bheda bheda tattva

What's not to like?

Tattva, acintya bheda bheda tattva

What's not to like?

I think it's a medical fact, anyone who doesn't like Kula Shaker is probably a paedophile.

I didn't vote on this poll, but if I did, it would be for hidden option 3: "I was listening to dance music in 1994 when Shitpop was all the rage".

When the Dutch were coming out with dancefloor gems like this, which fucking sad acts were listening to simian Mancunians or Cockney arthouse wankers instead?

Thankfully our lower 6th common room had a turntable, and this track got mucho play 8)

Blert realised they were crap and then wanted to become Pavement with that LP Song 2 was on (don't know what the LP is called). Girls & Boys is a great indie anthem though, that is the kind of stuff they did best.

Loved Blur after Modern Life is Rubbish, it didn't sell especially well I imagine but was a refreshing change from all the second rate Nirvana wannabies (hello Gavin Rossdale).

The Oasis albums were great to sing along to but sometimes worryingly reminded me of Status Quo.

You bite your tongue. Kula Shaker is awesome. Have you heard their remake of Hush? I think it's quite possibly the best song ever.

That is all.

Oasis, by far. If you're talking about 1994 then that was probably Oasis' best year and if you're talking about since '94 then still Oasis.

Blur did some good stuff but they also did loads of shit stuff. And they were all absolute fucking tits. Oasis were cool as fuck and still are.

As for Oasis music, people who say they just did 2 good albums are just plain wrong. I love every album they've done apart from Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, and even that had some good tunes on it. Definitely Maybe is the 2nd best debut album of all time and is far better than any album Blur ever did (no mean feat with their first effort). Morning Glory was fantastic, I love Be Here Now as it's proper rock n roll, and Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe the Truth are both top quality. The fact that their B-sides are all unbelievable as well (one of the only bands to consistently put out good B-sides) and they are also one of the best live bands in history.

So for me Oasis win hands down every time.

Both great bands in their day. It's just that Oasis' day lasted for about ten minutes and then they just made the same record over and over again. Damon Albarn (who basically is Blur) have never let their sound sit still, never mind stagnate.

But for me, they've always just done soulless pastiches of different genres with each album. Having raped the Kinks for all they're worth on Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife (to decent effect mind), they've also aped Spiritualized on Tender, Happy Mondays with On Your Own, Pavement on loads of tunes, etc. And each time, they, to me, sound like extremely wet parodies.

I think they've done some top tunes over the years, but I don't buy the fact that they're in any way an interesting, constantly evolving band.

But for me, they've always just done soulless pastiches of different genres with each album. Having raped the Kinks for all they're worth on Modern Life is Rubbish and Parklife (to decent effect mind), they've also aped Spiritualized on Tender, Happy Mondays with On Your Own, Pavement on loads of tunes, etc. And each time, they, to me, sound like extremely wet parodies.

I think they've done some top tunes over the years, but I don't buy the fact that they're in any way an interesting, constantly evolving band.

I did say Albarn. However, whilst Blur's influences are clear, I think the phrase "soulless pastiches" is a little bit harsh even if you're not a fan.

So your pro-Oasis argument consists of Blur being rip-off artists? Oh Marone.

So your pro-Oasis argument consists of Blur being rip-off artists? Oh Marone.

Not true. I simply meant that just because you do pastiches of lots of different genres doesn't mean you're not a rip off merchant. I'm not denying Oasis are a retro band, I was taking issue with the constant assertion that Blur are in some way interesting.

I'm only talking 94-95 in my Oasis v Blur, so it's Parklife and the Great Escape versus Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory. I think Beetlebum, Coffee and Tv, Sing, This is a Low etc are absolutely superb songs.

Oasis where more down and dirty good old fashioned rock, designed to be listened to in a dirty venue somewhere whilst pissed up on Tennants Super, whereas Blur were more interesting to me musically, especially as I love the whole whimsical The Kinks style of music anyway.

So, I'll call it a draw.

Hush by Kula Shaker rocks crotches everywhere, by the way. What a tune.

I didn't care in the mid 90's and I care even less now. But if I had to choose, I reckon Blur's stuff has more craft and will last longer.

Oasis had better one off songs, but lasted only two albums. Be honest since the Whats the Story? Morning glory; Oasis have on the large part been shite with the odd decent tune, Liam sounds like a pub singer these days and its all a bit shite isn't it.

Oasis will always been seen as the more dominant band IMO cos their two decent albums at that time were better than any of Blurs work to that date. But Blur are slower burners and IMO have produce a better spread of work over the long term that will outlast Oasis.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Kula Shaker are an abomination of a band. Really really bad. I hope they get Ebola.

and Equine AIDS....down all of their japs eyes. They are utter, utter tripe.