You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arne Slot

I do hope the style of play and possible similarity to Klopp in that regard was just a very secondary factor in the decision to hire him, to be honest.

The Dutch League is so bad, I'm pretty sure you could do almost anything tactically there. It's what ten Hag did; he was playing possession footy at Ajax and then as soon as he came to the Premier League, he changed it because he was like, oh I can't do that here. Maybe that's just because he's mentally weak and doesn't believe in what he does, but it's still illustrative of something. Certainly, if we eliminated Amorim because he plays 3 at the back and presses a bit less, that's not a good reason.

I would hope it's more about; ok this guy has done really good things at two unfancied clubs, and he seems like a big personality, so he's got something about him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

He might bring Santiago Giminez. He's boss for Feyenoord yet shite for Mexico. 

He's outscoring his XG

He doesn't get us

56 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Dirk as his assistant? 

He's just got his club promoted to the Belgian top division. Can't see him leaving for a assistant's job

He seems quite qualified to be the West Ham manager, but not someone who should be in serious contention for the Liverpool job.

If the point is to eventually win the league and champions league, I don’t think he’s the man to overhaul oil states like City and the likes of Real Madrid.

2 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He seems quite qualified to be the West Ham manager, but not someone who should be in serious contention for the Liverpool job.

If the point is to eventually win the league and champions league, I don’t think he’s the man to overhaul oil states like City and the likes of Real Madrid.

A lot of heavy lifting for such a small word.

This isn't a summer for mad tactical changes either as any new coach won't have much time with the players with the Euros and players arriving late

Worth noting Slot assistant manager is also Koeman assistant with the national team so will be familiar to the Dutch lafs

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

This isn't a summer for mad tactical changes either as any new coach won't have much time with the players with the Euros and players arriving late

Worth noting Slot assistant manager is also Koeman assistant with the national team so will be familiar to the Dutch lafs

We don't even know if what he did tactically in the Eredivisie is applicable here, though.

18 minutes ago, Red74 said:

That baseball cap aint no fashion statement

The only good thing about Klopp leaving I can go back to hating baseball cap wearing managers like Pulis 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

From what ive read

A 4231

A inverted right back

Presses high

Inverted wingers

Seems to be very similar other than he seems to play the midfield with 2 6s rather than 8s. .

We will see if he's good enough to do it over here. But it's not really stopped Postecoglou who has made the step from Scotland and without injuries would probably be closer to us and have Villa chasing them

28 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

When he was a player his manager would ask him where he wanted to play and he’d reply “I’ll be back”.

See, doesn’t have to be all about the surname. 

Close enough for me;

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

1fb22380-0242-11ef-a9f7-4d961743aa47.png

Now of course the teams are operating at very different levels but these are good numbers....

Exactly 

He will be doing his tactics with vastly superior players. The most he has ever spent ton a player is 7.1ml. Peanuts when competing with PSV and Ajax spending. 

3 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

From a man who very few had ever heard of or probably watched his footie, we do seem a bit overly confident his tried and trusted methods will work. 

Did anybody name him as the gaffer they wanted in the next manager thread?

On paragraph 1; of course.

On paragraph 2; of course not.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

On paragraph 1; of course.

On paragraph 2; of course not.

I don't even think he was discussed until the leak.

Hopefully he is banned from recommending players, as this level is a step up for him and we don't know how long he will be here. He's going to be a head coach right so he shouldn't have much dealings with transfers. 

21 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

From a man who very few had ever heard of or probably watched his footie, we do seem a bit overly confident his tried and trusted methods will work. 

Did anybody name him as the gaffer they wanted in the next manager thread?

I don't think many people are speaking with much certainty, just starting to look into who he is and what he's done. Just like people didn't really know whether Amorim would stick to his tactical design at Sporting. It hasn't even happened yet, he's just an emerging leading candidate.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

What's all this negativity around baldies for, you bellends?!

*applies another round of Regain*

Agree. 

I think people would be more positive on Slot if 7-Hag hadn’t tarnished the reputation for bald Dutch men everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

I don't even think he was discussed until the leak.

Hopefully he is banned from recommending players, as this level is a step up for him and we don't know how long he will be here. He's going to be a head coach right so he shouldn't have much dealings with transfers. 

He'd be part of the transfer discussions but there will be people above him, yeah.

Biggest question for me is tactically, really. Can you implement in the Premier League what you can implement in the Eredivisie where the intensity is way lower, the level is way lower.