You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arne Slot

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/04/24/liverpool-open-talks-feyenoord-appoint-arne-slot-manager/

Liverpool have opened negotiations with Feyenoord as Arne Slot edges closer to replacing Jurgen Klopp.

Slot is now increasingly likely to move to Anfield with Liverpool formally approaching his club to strike a deal.

It is understood Slot is keen on the move and it is now a matter of how much compensation will be demanded by Feyenoord as the 45-year-old does not have a buy-out clause in the three-year contract he signed last summer.

Slot has become one of the most coveted coaches in Europe, and Liverpool want to secure a deal amid interest in the Feyenoord coach from Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

The fact the situation has advanced so far indicates Liverpool are confident they have their man, with Slot enthusiastic about the prospect of building on Klopp’s legacy.

Feyenoord want to keep their coach but may realise it is now about negotiating an amicable settlement.

Liverpool are engaged in formal talks with the Dutch club and Slot’s representative, Rafaela Pimenta, to conclude a recruitment process which has significantly advanced in the last 24 hours.

Slot’s name rose up a managerial shortlist which has been dwindling over recent weeks after Bayer Leverkusen manager Xabi Alonso ruled himself out and Liverpool moved on to other targets.

The Dutchman was pursued by Tottenham Hotspur last summer, but rejected the chance to move to the Premier League after committing his future to Feyenoord. It was felt then that it was only a matter of time before he joined one of Europe’s top clubs having already turned down a number of opportunities.

Slot has achieved an attacking style of football on a modest budget and his biggest achievement was guiding Feyenoord to only their second Eredivisie title success this century last season before adding the Dutch Cup to his honours list last weekend.

A year ago, he was being talked about much like Alonso in the Bundesliga in 2024, as Feyenoord took on and beat Ajax as well as reaching the Europa League quarter-finals. A year earlier he led the club to the first Europa Conference League final.

Liverpool’s recruitment process is being overseen by Michael Edwards, who recently returned as owner Fenway Sports Group football chief executive, and sporting director Richard Hughes. Hughes officially starts in his new role this summer, but will undoubtedly have a huge input in Liverpool’s move for Slot.

19 minutes ago, Moo said:

I don't like the sound of that at all. The Mancs have had one major and continued problem these last 10 years and it's their supporters being impatient, spoilt brats.

Every manager needs time, especially those operating on a tight budget as no doubt ours will be.

The major problem the Mancs have had is that they have appointed managers totally unsuited to the demands of the fans to play in an exciting front foot way, then signed crap players for lots of money and given those players megabucks so they can't get rid of them.

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I get to wind up Feyenoord fans about him moving to a big club.

Does this fella have anything man?

A couple years ago Ljinders was the hottest Dutch football mind - then Utd go for Ten Hag.

Are we getting third choice/flavor of the month with this fella- his career seems kind of, erm, short.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Does this fella have anything man?

A couple years ago Ljinders was the hottest Dutch football mind - then Utd go for Ten Hag.

Are we getting third choice/flavor of the month with this fella- his career seems kind of, erm, short.

He's the best in the Eredivisie by far. Feyenoord fans love him. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

My problem is mentally picturing him as a Liverpool manager. I can’t lie, it will be hard to get around that jovial to dim look, and of course the baldness. If he turns out to be actually any good, I’m sure I will get past it, but as soon as results take a dip, I will choose to be as superficial as a super model.

klopp-face.jpg?strip=all&w=512

5 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

People can convince themselves of anything.

If you would have said a few months back we would be appointing the Feyenoord manager to replace Klopp people would have been stunned. 

If you'd said to me that we could build a title winning team by signing a left back from Hull, a midfielder from Newcastle, Two Southampton players, a "Chelsea reject" and a Roma goalkeeper, I'd have also been stunned. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Megadrive Man said:

If you'd said to me that we could build a title winning team by signing a left back from Hull, a midfielder from Newcastle, Two Southampton players, a "Chelsea reject" and a Roma goalkeeper, I'd have also been stunned. 

Hoffenheim did not like this

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, I can see that. 

Is he more highly regarded than Ten Hag? Or even wee Pep?

Yeah. Ten Hag relied on Overmars which then all went dicks up. 

Ajax seem to be trying to get Xavi rather than Pepijn Lijnders now. 

25 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

The major problem the Mancs have had is that they have appointed managers totally unsuited to the demands of the fans to play in an exciting front foot way, then signed crap players for lots of money and given those players megabucks so they can't get rid of them.

That too no doubt, but ultimately nearly every manager needs time. However they're now known as a sacking club with a bunch of cry arses as a fan base who will turn on the owners when they don't get their own way, who will in turn respond by sacking the manager to appease the supporters for a little while. It's a vicious cycle that they're really struggling to get out of at the moment. Patience is essential.

7 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Klopp, Dortmund etc.

I mean I'm old enough to remember us replacing Suarez with Balotelli, Borini and Lambert.