You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good songs by shit bands who weren’t one hit wonders

Hopefully self explanatory. As ever please post some actual explanatory text rather than just a YouTube link. I’m going to open the batting with Mmbop by Hanson, a proper ear worm classic that sounds like a great Michael Jackson song. You’ll be humming the chorus all evening now. No need to thank me. 

Brimful of Asha is similar to mmmbop in that sense. 

But would go with Our velocity, really didn't like them at all, but would usually end up dancing if this came on at the end of a uni night out 

Also, this might fit the bill for some. I actually really like the cribs, first two albums were shite, but mens needs was great and the album with Johnny marr was all right too. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Brimful of Asha is similar to mmmbop in that sense. 

But would go with Our velocity, really didn't like them at all, but would usually end up dancing if this came on at the end of a uni night out 

Also, this might fit the bill for some. I actually really like the cribs, first two albums were shite, but mens needs was great and the album with Johnny marr was all right too. 

I think Maximo Park and The Cribs are great shouts. Apart from what you've posted and I have, not really much else from them.

8 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think Toxic by Britney Speers is a great pop song. There, I’ve said it. 

There's a dance remix of that which is ace, brings back my first lads holiday to Kavos at 18.

9 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think Toxic by Britney Speers is a great pop song. There, I’ve said it. 

Written by Cathy Dennis about the supervet Noel whatshisface, her ex boyfriend.

Rollin by Limp Bizkit. Fake as fuck, utter dickhead of a lead singer and gibberish lyrics, but this was pretty good.

I was going to put Black Eyed Peas as well, but I can't think of anything they've done that is actually good.

• Downvote 1

Not sure if Nathaniel Ratelif counts

I would not call him shit at all, but his chart success is non existent, so maybe fair to add him on. 

But if you get the chance to see him live with the Night sweats its a great show

12345.png

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Never ever by All Saints.  Another great song. I going to compile a play list of these recommendations 

Yeah but so was Pure Shores so I would t count them personally. 

• Upvote 1

I remember snow patrol being a weird little band in the late 90s that some friends got us all into and was looking for Starfighter pilot, which was their big song at the time. Years later I saw them at Exeter cavern just before final straw came out and they were a totally different band to the one I remembered.

But thinking on it I think Run is an objectively better song, and a pretty damn good song in its own right, so don't think they qualify here.

Similar story with the fratellis, made some very good music, all overridden by that ear aids Chelsea dagger.

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Never ever by All Saints.  Another great song. I going to compile a play list of these recommendations 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah but so was Pure Shores so I would t count them personally. 

Black Coffee, too.

I'm starting to think they may have actually been good.

If Hanson count, then i am going to go with Spin Doctors - Two Princes. They had another couple of hits that weren't up to much.

Me and my mates used to hang out in the Mega Bowl by us after school. Despite us all being about 10, they used to let us hang around, playing pool and bowling for free. As far as im aware, none of us got touched up by the manager. They used to hammer this song in there all the time. Its been a favorite since then.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mudface said:

Rollin by Limp Bizkit. Fake as fuck, utter dickhead of a lead singer and gibberish lyrics, but this was pretty good.

I was going to put Black Eyed Peas as well, but I can't think of anything they've done that is actually good.

That's getting negged for naming what is comfortably their worst song.

18 hours ago, Mudface said:

break stuff is a far better song

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1