You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta 0 Liverpool 1 (Apr 18 2024)

matchreportheader.jpg

The easy thing to say here is that the damage was done in the first leg. Obviously it was, but that’s not what I want to hear today as I feel like it’s excusing the clueless, lifeless and gutless second half we saw here. This tie was not over after last week. It certainly wasn’t over when we pulled a goal back within seven minutes and I don’t think any of us thought it was over when we went in at half time with a one goal lead, primed for a second half charge.

So to just say now “yeah the damage was done last week” feels like it’s excusing the inexcusable. We had a chance to still turn this around and had we got a second goal Atalanta would probably have folded under the pressure. So that second half was inexcusable, because I don’t think we even mustered a serious shot did we? Atalanta out-thought us and they out-fought us, and their defence and goalkeeper have probably not had an easier 45 minutes all season because of the job their midfield and forwards did in stopping us playing.

They were terrific, I’m taking nothing away from them. Fully deserved winners and they did an absolute number on us in both games. That said, we made it incredibly easy for them last night because that was one of the least intelligent halves of football I have ever seen from any Liverpool side. Ever. We can talk about the poor form and lack of quality too if you like, but the thing that was jumping out at me in that second half was that this team is utterly reliant on having Klopp and Lijnders hold their hand through games and solve problems for them, and when they don’t have that they can look utterly lost.

I’ve been saying it for a while now, usually because they’re shite in the first half and only start playing when Klopp tells them what to do at half time. There’s nobody on the pitch capable of sorting these problems. That second half has shaken me far more than anything else I’ve seen from us all season. Far worse than the United debacles or the loss to Palace. Worse than last Thursday at Anfield too, which you could maybe *maybe* put down to an off night caused by Atalanta’s unusual tactics that we’re not used to facing.

We knew exactly what we were facing this time though and in the first half we clearly had a plan to try and cause them different types of problems than we did last week. The movement was fluid, players were popping up in areas we’re not used to seeing them and although it wasn’t great, you could see we were trying to do something different. It was alright and it felt like we were building up some momentum ahead of a second half push.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic

All absolutely spot on with one exception, early on you say had we got a second Atalanta would probably have folded.

I’m not so sure. Their coach seems quite a smart guy and I’ve no doubt he would have had a provision in place for us getting a second.

Moot point though because we didn’t get a second and didn’t look like getting it as the game wore on.

• Upvote 1

It was truly depressing and I turned off with 5 minutes to go as I was quite frankly bored to tears and getting annoyed. Early in the season we were poncing about at the back early on in games but managed to score late goals, last night we were doing it late on without a Scooby about what else to do. (Be doo). 

Fingers are pointed at the forwards missing chances and the defence conceding early (both true) but I think the problem in recent weeks has been the midfield.  Endo and Macca look goosed, Dom’s form has fallen off a cliff, Curtis struggling to recover form, Harvey trying his best but not quite there yet, Grav looking more of a long-term project than a real prospect. We were ok first half but the energy levels just hit a wall and our only practical option was to hit it long which ought to be anathema to a team at our level.  

• Upvote 3

Kind of a relief reading this, as it's exactly so infuriatingly bad as I saw it myself. Your view of this shameless un.performace is exactly right. I'm angry... at the players and at Klopp.

Fuck it, we'd be better off with Dyche or big Sam as gaffer. Those two would just throw van Dijk up in attack, play long balls over their over confident 6 man pressing game, and would probably end üp with a couple of lucky goals.

Those last 15 mins was so lame it beggars belief. If you didn't know better you'd think we were the team being 3-1 up.

15 hours ago, aws said:

Fingers are pointed at the forwards missing chances and the defence conceding early (both true) but I think the problem in recent weeks has been the midfield.

I was thinking the exact same watching this and the Palace game. 

Must admit I don't quite get this obsession with how the Klopp Era will end and with Juergen's send-off. He is leaving after he decided that the team, which has fallen off a cliff and needed a big overhaul, has been successfully rebuilt, or successfully enough that he is  comfortable of not leaving behind him a mess but a team with a decent potential. Which he is. And if Klopp doesn't get the proper send-off, it's equally on him. And doubt he is thinking about it at all anyway.

Hopefully we can get out of this malaise the same way we got into it, there is no reason why not, unless the entire season before has been one big fluke. End the season playing well, because how you end is usually how you pick things up three months later. And see what the new guy can do.

• dave u unpinned this topic