You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

4 goals conceded this calendar year is extremely impressive, particularly in a season in which just about everyone else has really struggled to keep clean sheets. It's even more impressive when you consider that 2 of those goals were the one we were gifted by a defensive mix up and another came from a silly individual error by Ramsdale against Brentford. As well as keeping clean sheets, they're not even allowing teams to create many chances against them. Brighton looked like they could have played all night against them on Saturday without scoring.

I hope it doesn't end up being like the first time we just missed out to City. I remember hoping that just once in that run-in that City would concede first against someone half decent, and then the only game it ever happened in was on the final day against a Brighton team who weren't very good and didn't have anything at all to play for. We need to see Arsenal go behind in a game to see what they're made of. It remains to be seen whether or not that will happen at any point. 

11 minutes ago, Dapower said:

Then again isn’t it a refreshing change come next Sunday at 4.30 we’re hoping Arsenal slip up to keep us top 

Just win our games and see what happens. Sunday they're at home to Villa so I've not much hope things are going to turn back around next week. Unfortunately, 'never ever rely on Villa for anything' has always been a very sound mantra for life if you want to avoid disappointment. I'm not sure relying on Spurs is a much sounder prospect, but the North London derby really does look like the best hope for Arsenal dropping points. They're the best team they play and at least the one team and fanbase they'll face who won't actually prefer them winning the title over us.  

1 hour ago, Dapower said:

I totally agree with you on that and in our last title chance in 22 after 31 games we were 1pt behind city and I think we’ll all take it to the last day again 

If it goes last day it really needs to be in our own hands as there is absolutely zero chance the other two aren't winning on that day.

They couldn't hand pick easier games.

I think it’s Arsenal’s to lose now. Can’t continually gift teams goals AND be as wasteful with chances as we are and still hope to win it. A lot of that is down to missing key players for so long and it’s kind of amazing we are even challenging really. Full credit to the manager on that.

• Upvote 1

Can we sure the PGMOL if we lose out to Arsenal on goal difference ( I realise this is very Everton behaviour). We'll essentially have lost the league due to a massive fuck up by the officials that seems to have been swept under the carpet.  

4 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

I think it’s Arsenal’s to lose now. Can’t continually gift teams goals AND be as wasteful with chances as we are and still hope to win it. A lot of that is down to missing key players for so long and it’s kind of amazing we are even challenging really. Full credit to the manager on that.

Agree with this. It’s not acknowledged enough that, not only have we had far more injuries to important players than Arsenal and City, but that also means Klopp is more limited with his rotation, as well as having to play 18 and 19 year olds. It’s miraculous that we’re still in with a shout… and that’s without talking about the incredible ineptitude (if that’s what it is)of the officials. 

Yeah. Arsenal's form since the new year has been seriously impressive, absolutely no doubt about it. Looking at it like that, it's theirs to lose.

However, you can easily spin that another way and say Arsenal's form since the hiatus from European competition has been seriously impressive. And that's about to change - and as @Carra_is_legend says, their record post-CL games (and easier ties at that) is less so.

I've piped down since last night. Old Trafford is just a fucking graveyard for us, we frequently go there and get less than we might deserve. It's out the way now, just focus on the last 7. Win all of them and we finish above Man City - I'd take that at this stage of the season. And if we win them all and come second, then I'd (very begrudgingly) tip my hat to Arsenal because if you go through half the season dropping points once - at the Etihad - then you deserve it.

I'd just feel a lot more sanguine about it if it wasn't for the fact that the other two cunts are keeping their management structure for next year and can probably go again. For us? Who the fuck knows. To miss out like this and drift into the wilderness while we watch Arsenal clean up at the fag end of Guardiola's reign will stick in my fucking craw like, the lucky timing bastards.

• Upvote 1

Jota might lead us to the title. We create so much that any decent finisher will get goals. Jota is world class imo. We just need him to stay fit.

I always felt that he would be crucial on his return and the last few games have highlighted our wastefullness and how a sharp shooter like him is going to make a difference.

Him and Macca linking up is a beautiful thought.

2 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

I don't think we will win it, but having thought we might struggle to make the top 6 this season, I think it's amazing we are where we are.

I didn't see it coming.

I am in the same category, I sensed a lot of nervousness in our finishing yesterday and we ended up rushing everything. It sounds hysterical but I think the 2 points dropped yesterday will come back to haunt us. We will see.

However, as you have said, I didn't see a title challenge coming and we are still in it somehow - injuries, Spurs debacle, Odegaard volleyball, Doku on Mac and countless other occasions - its incredible we are somehow still in it. 

For what it’s worth, City are now main favourites with Opta with ourselves and Arsenal neck and neck. 

We seem more confident that Arsenal will win their remaining games than neutrals do.

CFFDEA73-C2B6-4359-BDD6-8FA41F1ADBA4.jpeg

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

For what it’s worth, City are now main favourites with Opta with ourselves and Arsenal neck and neck. 

We seem more confident that Arsenal will win their remaining games than neutrals do.

CFFDEA73-C2B6-4359-BDD6-8FA41F1ADBA4.jpeg

There is absolute no way Arsenal will win all their remaining games

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Rojo said:

Code, you’re the kind of man I mean about when I talk about nerveless forum big dogs.

Im going to be honest, yesterday I was actually nervous for the first time ever when Salah has stepped up for a penalty. That was a huge moment in the season I think, we will know in a months time. 

• Upvote 1

I'm in the same place with the rugby. Rebuilding team, had few expectations other than needing to see the team show the effort and ambition I expect (to not go into games having already lost, always compete, show some pride). But now we've knocked the self-elected pre-season champions out of Europe (have that, "Messi") and I'm trying to keep sight of my expectations while wanting to meet all the people telling us how doomed we are going into the quarters with defiance. We'll probably lose, possibly heavily, but I'm not accepting it's a 0% chance.

We are also up against it. If arsenal beat us then there's no shame in that, they're on the kind of run we're used to at this time of year and will deserve it. But let's not give in to self pity, it's a pathetic mindset at the best of times. 

This is where I want us to be, end of season, in a fight for trophies. You might lose, but I can't imagine wanting to throw in the towel. Can't stand it. Winds me up like nothing else. There's losing and then there's being a loser. One of these I can deal with.

But hey, I'm still frustrated as fuck about yesterday as well, maybe people will feel different next time the side take to the pitch. I hope you do.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't think much has changed. Still a three horse race, still hard to split the teams. Wasn't wanking myself silly when Arsenal and City drew; not throwing myself off a bridge now.

Can I be a forum big dog @El Rojo ?

Badge and wallet in the post. It’s effectively the Gnasher badge from the Beano/Dennis The Menace fan club.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

If we win all 7 we win the league only problem is yesterday showed our problems not clinical enough in front of goal and sloppy at the back which is why I think we will come up short but I’m praying I’m wrong and the boys do it for Klopp