You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

Literally every single other option is just completely and utterly depressing. The prospect of Xabi is the only chink of light of Jurgen leaving us and it feels like we’re a bit fucked it it isn’t him

1 minute ago, Fowlers God said:

Florian Plettenberg (obviously out for some new followers) is tweeting Alonsos choice is Bayern in the summer. 

suppose that was fun whilst it lasted

He also said we were out of the race for Gravenberch. There's a element of Bayern leaking shit to friendly joyrnos keep fans happy going on. But I wouldn't be surprised if he went there. He played there, did well. Has a good squad and will have money to spend 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Fowlers God said:

Florian Plettenberg (obviously out for some new followers) is tweeting Alonsos choice is Bayern in the summer. 

He also said categorically that Gravenberch was not signing for us, so not only have we lost out on a future manager but we're another man down for the game tonight.

1 hour ago, Manny said:

There's an added disincentive to Alonso going to Bayern: if he repeated his (likely) feat from this year and wins the league, it's not even a 'par' for him, it would be the same achievement yet with far less kudos attached to it. In terms of the German league, he's likely going to gain the holy grail this season: dethroning Bayern by winning the league with another club (and I really can't stress enough how mental it would be for Leverkusen of all clubs to win it; they make our 30 year wait look like a queue in the fucking supermarket). He'd be judged at Bayern entirely on the European Cup (a competition he's never managed in) and a load of other intangibles that are set and benchmarked by their legions of ex-players in the hierarchy and dotted throughout football at large.

One thing he's shown a real knack for so far is managing his career and I think, genuinely, that he'd look at Bayern and see it as being a job where ultimately you're on a countdown to failure, because almost none of the competitions they're involved in year to year mean anything to the fans or the hierarchy. He spent enough time here to know it'd be different at LFC.

He might stay at Leverkusen another year, that would be my concern given his circumspect approach to managing his career - but if he has genuine aspirations of managing here then he'd probably realise he might never get a better chance.

He’s managed in the Europa League though, reached the semifinals last season and are in the last 16 now.

Not that much of a difference really, just the quality of the opposition in the last 8. 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's going to roll on though isn't it? unless leverkusen want the process to start now, we're almost certainly going to need to wait until the summer. If we want Xabi (and I'm yet to be convinced that we do btw), we will have already contacted his people and told him so. Then it's let everyone finish the season - even if it's verbally agreed behind the scenes, it would be pretty unlikely we'd know about it. 

I'm sure contact must have been made too. If privately he's not making the right noises then expectations need to be managed because a fair proportion of fans think he's a shoe in. I don't by the way and agree with you he may not be top of the clubs list . Leverkusen saying today they expect him to stay doesn't smack of a quick smooth deal being in place if he is the one the club want . 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

How convenient that he's come out with that on the day Bayern announce that Tuchel is stepping down at the end of the season,  its almost like Bayern are driving the agenda , No slight on you FG 

1 minute ago, suzy said:

I don’t like this Bayern noise. I’m going to be so disappointed if it’s not Xabi!

The bigger worry is Tuchel making himself available to come to Anfield. Just got to hope our owners aren’t mad. Not holding my breath.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

Done a 180 and now saying liverpool are in contact and Bayern will struggle to get him. It's almost like he's covering all bases so when he does eventually move he can bring up the relevant scenario and say he called it.

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Done a 180 and now saying liverpool are in contact and Bayern will struggle to get him. It's almost like he's covering all bases so when he does eventually move he can bring up the relevant scenario and say he called it.

Bet he’s said there’s also the possibility he stays at Leverkusen as well. 

15 hours ago, Code said:

He’s managed in the Europa League though, reached the semifinals last season and are in the last 16 now.

Not that much of a difference really, just the quality of the opposition in the last 8. 

Oh yeah I've no doubt that he'd be fine given how well Leverkusen are doing in the Europa. It's more that a competition he'd never managed in before will become the currency he's judged on if he goes to Bayern. More yardsticks he'd be measured against here, less ruthlessly one note.