You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Leverkusen on the Sky App at 5.30pm. Might tune in to see what the fuss is about.

dont forget Monday night at 8.30 for the sporting manager. 

who knows, with a bit of luck, the club will actually ask one of us for some input!!!!! ha ha ha

I said years ago to my mates Alonso will be a brilliant manager,you can just tell he has something about him and you can just see the way he played he would be tactical astute and transfer that into management,no brainer and he is  cool as fuck 

• Upvote 1

Someone who is their own man, has good ideas about how to play the game, has the ability to transmit these ideas to players and get the absolute maximum out of them, is familiar with high-pressure games, has seen how others handle these situations, knows what it takes to win, and is able to make their own luck.

2 hours ago, Trumo said:

Someone who is their own man, has good ideas about how to play the game, has the ability to transmit these ideas to players and get the absolute maximum out of them, is familiar with high-pressure games, has seen how others handle these situations, knows what it takes to win, and is able to make their own luck.

You don't ask for much.

5 hours ago, Razoray said:

De Zerbi has managed Brighton for 53 games, winning 22, drawing 15 and losing 16. That averages out at a 58 point season. They have conceded over 1.5 goals per game.

I know it is Brighton, but he has not been "successful" at all. He is doing a good job but very little points to him being a Liverpool manager. 

He's also lost his starting central midfield pairing in the summer and trying to deal with European football with a small squad to be fair to him

35 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He's also lost his starting central midfield pairing in the summer and trying to deal with European football with a small squad to be fair to him

That's why I said he is doing a good job. I just can't accept that he has been "successful"

Probably the biggest potential problem with bringing in Alonso is that he will be linked to Madrid in the press every time they lose a game.

And he'll probably go there at some point, too. You'd like to think we'd get 4-5 years out of him first, but if he's successful with Liverpool, then the next time they need a manager you know whom they're going to call.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Probably the biggest potential problem with bringing in Alonso is that he will be linked to Madrid in the press every time they lose a game.

And he'll probably go there at some point, too. You'd like to think we'd get 4-5 years out of him first, but if he's successful with Liverpool, then the next time they need a manager you know whom they're going to call.

Klopp was linked with Bayern & the German National team every year as well.

Sounds like Alonso didn't get the same feeling at Madrid as he got at Liverpool as a player so you'd assume that would play into his thinking as manager.

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

How often in reality have they successfully poached a top manager from a huge club? In the event he comes here, I don’t think it’s as simple as Alonso leaving as soon as they come calling - Mourinho had already decided to quit Inter in 2010 and even Ancelotti went from relative minnows in PSG and Everton.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Klopp was linked with Bayern & the German National team every year as well.

Sounds like Alonso didn't get the same feeling at Madrid as he got at Liverpool as a player so you'd assume that would play into his thinking as manager.

Yeh but Alonso has previous where jumping ship is concerned . Anyway I can’t come up with anyone else to do a better job so he still gets my voter 

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

It's a possibility, but he's only 42. He could be at Liverpool for 8 years and still have decades for Madrid.

23 hours ago, Moo said:

Who then?

Personally I'd take a punt on Alonso, I do wonder why Hansi Flick isn't being mentioned, I know his time with the national team ended badly but his career before then was pretty good - he was exceptional at Bayern 

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Personally I'd take a punt on Alonso, I do wonder why Hansi Flick isn't being mentioned, I know his time with the national team ended badly but his career before then was pretty good - he was exceptional at Bayern 

I think mainly because he sounds like an Allo Allo character and nobody is quite sure if he's real or not. 

• Haha 1

On 27/01/2024 at 21:40, andyj said:

Graham Potter for me. He is youngish he did an excellent job at Brighton,plays attacking football yet also knows how to get a team to defend when needed. Forget his Chelsea record he was given a total clusterfuck of a team and an owner that wanted to play football manager 24 and that hasn't changed. Unfortunately who ever comes in we will be in yet another transitional period but Potter has shown in the right environment he can build a team that's hard to beat on a shoestring budget but give him a proper budget and get his players I think he would be a great choice.

He plays attacking football now? Played predominantly with a back 5, and his Brighton team never scored over 42 goals in a season, the season after he left, De Zerbi's team scores 72. He wasn't a park the bus manager sure, but there was nothing particularly attacking about his playstyle.

Not only did he fail at Chelsea, his tactical style is a far larger departure than it would be with Alonso or De Zerbi.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there should really be a favourite. Every candidate is debatable. 

Back when replacing Rodgers, either Klopp or Ancelotti would have been slam dunks. You just can't say there is anyone like that now.

Alonso needs to win the league to become the real top option. Otherwise, the body of work is just too small and his time as manager too short.

Amorim and Inzaghi on the balance of their resumes and that they are also not old should be in the discussion but there is no certainty there.

De Zerbi on the account of the quality of his football shouldn't be ignored.

Someone like Nagelsmann will also probably be contacted because he was once the boy wonder. There's some bad vibes around that guy and I would be scared of him, but there's no doubt he will probably be in the discussion.

I'd also talk to Zidane as well just to see what's up. He'd be the big longshot I'd put as an aside.

It's tough because the thing with managers like Alonso and De Zerbi is that there are different attacking patterns to what we do with Klopp. It depends how much we value continuity and how much change we are comfortable with, what those two would think of our players, etc... Like, will we look for someone who more favours attacking directly and in transition because that's what Klopp mostly did? 

Ideally, the club's list should be short, but the fact you can name so many options, all with drawbacks, makes it hard. It also depends who the director of football will be and how much power we give that person in comparison to the manager.

Anyway, multitude of factors involved.

The thing I'd be weary of though, is whoever has managed a lot of clubs. Like, Tuchel and Emery for example are good managers, but they've been spit out of a lot of places.

And then there's the ones who are old and running out of freshness or someone like Conte who is just not a fit.