You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

Alonso I'd be arsed about his commitment.

Postecoglu is an Australian Rodgers and is at the perfect club.

Di Zerbi is interesting but not outstanding.

To be honest I think I'd have preferred it kept in house.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Diniz.

12 clubs in 10 years, Audax 4 times

Lost 3 of the 6 games he's managed Brazil

Last four games as Brazil manager before getting the boot. Drew Venezuela, lost uruguay,colombia and Argentina. He also played Ederson over Alisson till Ederson pulled out injured

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way, instead of looking at names what are your must haves for a Liverpool manager, what do you want from a manager and then what names fit that list?

My suspicion is that if everyone put there must haves and then, only afterwards, listed out the managers that met that it would be a very short, very uninspiring list of managers with the likes of Ancelotti, Mourinho and Guardiola sitting at or very near the top.

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

12 clubs in 10 years, Audax 4 times

Lost 3 of the 6 games he's managed Brazil

Last four games as Brazil manager before getting the boot. Drew Venezuela, lost uruguay,colombia and Argentina. He also played Ederson over Alisson till Ederson pulled out injured

Mad bastard from South America was the criteria, I specifically crossed out the 'who fits the bill'.

Who doesn't want to see a crazy Brazilian trying to implement relation-ism football in the PL.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way, instead of looking at names what are your must haves for a Liverpool manager, what do you want from a manager and then what names fit that list?

My suspicion is that if everyone put there must haves and then, only afterwards, listed out the managers that met that it would be a very short, very uninspiring list of managers with the likes of Ancelotti, Mourinho and Guardiola sitting at or very near the top.

That’s true, you could also add Conte and Tuchel but they’d both be a disaster waiting to happen with regards to the owners. 

There isn’t an obvious candidate with all the experience of winning major titles available to us unless we offer Madrid money for Ancelotti. 

I’d like to see us go for Alonso but it’s definitely not without risk. 

I think Alonso. Even though his comparative managerial experience makes it a risk, the up-side if he clicks could be massive as he looks like he has the man-management skills and personality to make his mark on the club. 
If it doesn’t look like it’s working out after a couple of years , then bring a recharged Jurgen  home - he was careful to promise only that he wouldn’t manage another club in England. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

That’s true, you could also add Conte and Tuchel but they’d both be a disaster waiting to happen with regards to the owners. 

There isn’t an obvious candidate with all the experience of winning major titles available to us unless we offer Madrid money for Ancelotti. 

I’d like to see us go for Alonso but it’s definitely not without risk. 

There's nobody without risk. Everybody is a step down from Klopp.

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Would the owners go to villa park and slap the money on the table for Monchi and Unai Emery? 

Are teams like Sevilla, Villa and Villareal his ceiling?

He didn't do great at Arsenal, he won stuff at PSG but was he an outright success in a league where PSG should be winning everything?

Take away this 6 months at Villa and his reputation in the UK wasn't great.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Are teams like Sevilla, Villa and Villareal his ceiling?

He didn't do great at Arsenal, he won stuff at PSG but was he an outright success in a league where PSG should be winning everything?

Take away this 6 months at Villa and his reputation in the UK wasn't great.

Like I said, there’s not an obvious choice out there. Alonso would probably be my choice but I’d rather Jurgen just changed his fucking mind. 

• Upvote 1

It's not really about whether someone has a proven record it's more about whether they have the greatness in them to succeed. That's generally how you have to approach appointing a manager unless someone like a Klopp is on the market. De Zerbi fits that bill for me because his career has been on a constant upward trajectory for a few years. Wouldn't be so sure about him but that's how it should be looked at. 

23 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Like I said, there’s not an obvious choice out there. Alonso would probably be my choice but I’d rather Jurgen just changed his fucking mind. 

I mean Ferguson did, didn’t he? So it could happen, right? Just say yes.

41 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Would the owners go to villa park and slap the money on the table for Monchi and Unai Emery? 

Maybe instead of Villa they’d go to Brighton for De Zerbi and the Director of Football guy?

Saw a thing with Ian Graham a while back and he said there were only 3 teams in the premier league who really used data to scout players, us, Brighton and Brentford.

Or I could see FSG going back to the Red Bull well, they go about things similarly to us, which maybe brings Nagelsman into the frame. And Ralf Ragnick!

Graham Potter for me. He is youngish he did an excellent job at Brighton,plays attacking football yet also knows how to get a team to defend when needed. Forget his Chelsea record he was given a total clusterfuck of a team and an owner that wanted to play football manager 24 and that hasn't changed. Unfortunately who ever comes in we will be in yet another transitional period but Potter has shown in the right environment he can build a team that's hard to beat on a shoestring budget but give him a proper budget and get his players I think he would be a great choice.

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Ruben Amorin tactics

Coaches' Voice | Rúben Amorim: Coach watch (coachesvoice.com)

Quite a interesting set up with and without the ball

Sounds similar to us, no? 

I'll have to go searching YouTube for some videos later on. 

I'll be honest, I'd only be interested in how sporting set up, when they don't have the ball. Because with the talent in our squad, you know what they can do with the ball. Dare I say, it barely needs coaching in that department. 

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Not that I necessarily disagree with your overall point Johnny, I share some concerns about Alonso too.

But which managers do you think would be available that have a proven record? Is De Zerbi for example a proven ‘winning manager’?

No, he isn’t.  He’s in the camp of ‘hasn’t achieved anything yet but looks to have a high ceiling’. Alonso is in the same camp. The only difference is we have an extra season worth of premier league management to review when considering him. We don’t have that with Alonso in a much much weaker league. 

2 minutes ago, andyj said:

Graham Potter for me. He is youngish he did an excellent job at Brighton,plays attacking football yet also knows how to get a team to defend when needed. Forget his Chelsea record he was given a total clusterfuck of a team and an owner that wanted to play football manager 24 and that hasn't changed. Unfortunately who ever comes in we will be in yet another transitional period but Potter has shown in the right environment he can build a team that's hard to beat on a shoestring budget but give him a proper budget and get his players I think he would be a great choice.

No, the job is too big for him. As was the Chelsea one. 

You need someone that has a killer mentality. And Potter isn't that, his name is Potter ffs. Can you really imagine doing an anfield tour in 30 years and listening to the tour guide talking about the "Potter era". No, you can't.... 

Oh, she he's supposed to be a tight fisted cunt. 

Didn't the fat one on the under the cosh podcast play with him, said he's a lovely fella, but the tightest guy you could ever imagine. 

9 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'm not sure about Alonso.

I feel like we obviously romantiscise the idea of an ex player coming back but it rarely works out.

It's such an incredibly hard job now. Not only are you following Klopp but you're up against at least six or seven teams that are pushing for the Champions league.

There's nobody even close to the present day Klopp or even a 2015 Klopp.

I don't think Alonso is popular just because he played for us. When he signed for us, he watched us before playing and was telling benitez what was wrong with the team. He was already showing signs as a good thinker in the game then. He then went on to have one of the most incredible careers. He worked for most of the best managers of his generation. He's got off to an absolute belter of a start at Leverkusen. He has some of the things I place that make you think he could be right, there's just no doubting it's early for him. But when he was a player, he played like a 30 year old when he was 22. 

Alonso would be one of the leading (in fact the leading) young managers candidates for this job without his Liverpool history. Him knowing the league and the club is a bonus and maybe helps make up for some of his lack of experience as a manager. 

6 hours ago, Dundalis said:

The problem here is timeframe though. You can pick and choose. If you pick a timeframe that's just after Gerrard won the Scottish league with Rangers, he had two successful years to start his managerial, people would say it's the logical progression. The timing has meant we were able to wait in order to see Gerrard fail after that. The timeframe means we aren't going to see what Alonso does after two successful years to start his managerial career.

I feel that is all a bit of a swings and roundabouts thing though. There's no doubt if there were faultless CL winning managers available with enourmous character, Alonso wouldn't be in the running yet. But looking at the field of runners, we are going to need to make a compromise somewhere. For instance, Emery is another front runner..but he was a flop at arsenal. His PSG record is ok, but it's one horse town territory. And have you listened to him? He doesn't really have any communication skills at all. That might have been ok for Bob on the 70s. I don't know that can work now. 

Honestly , can you think of any manager out there who doesn't come with some question marks? Even ancelotti went to Everton, which makes you question his sanity. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Who then? De Zerbi doesn't have the experience you seem to want.

Is this just an anti Alonso thing?

I do have concerns with Alonso, it'd be daft not to, but I can't see who else fits and if he goes elsewhere before us the chances are we'll have missed the boat on him.

Alonso is the only manager in world football who fits the bill? Someone who has won precisely nothing as a manager is the only person who could possibly be our next manager? That's a bit weird. I mean, he could end up being a really successful manager, and I'd be happy enough with him to get the gig, but he hasn't actually done anything yet.

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Who then? De Zerbi doesn't have the experience you seem to want.

Is this just an anti Alonso thing?

I do have concerns with Alonso, it'd be daft not to, but I can't see who else fits and if he goes elsewhere before us the chances are we'll have missed the boat on him.

Firstly, to @El Rojo this is why I said Alonso would have my 100% support, because I knew people would say I didn’t want him because I don’t like him, like I’m some spotty teenager unable to be a grown up and just want what’s best for club. 

As I said in reply to someone else, De Zerbi is in the “take a punt” category that Alonso is in. We just have more to assess with de zerbi as he’s managed successfully in the premier league and for more than half a season. 

At this point, being genuinely worried about missing out on Alonso seems far too premature. Nobody, not even the biggest if Alonso fans, can say he’s going to be elite with any level of confidence. And Liverpool should be looking for an elite level manager. In my opinion obviously 

De Zerbi is a good manager but he's not even in the top 5 Italian managers. 

If you want an Italian who is ready to compete straight away look at Inzaghi. Managing Inter and Lazio are big pressure jobs. Competed in Europe and won domestically still only 47. Very adaptable and excellent at managing the game.