You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Burnley 0 Liverpool 2 - Match Reaction

tlw content

Darwin Nunez ended his goal drought and Diogo Jota marked his return from injury with a late strike to send the Reds back to sink Burnley and send the Reds back to the top of the table.

Chris Smith is joined by Ian Brown and TLW Editor Dave Usher to reflect on an incident packed game in which VAR once again reared its ugly head to make life much more difficult for Klopp's men than it should have been. The lads also look ahead to Newcastle next week.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic
9 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Just on sounding like a knobhead, what are your opinions on the commentator calling Virgil, Von Dyke. 
She sounds like a bad knobhead. 

The other fella called him "Virgin Van Dijk" at one point and the pair of them laughed like schoolkids.

I enjoyed listening to that in the drive back from Sheffield. 
In defence of Darwin, remember MOwen going 10 games without a goal. It was starting to make the front pages of newspapers in the little sports bit at the top. I think he then scored a hat trick.

Others have deffo had similar goal droughts from memory.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

In defence of Darwin, remember MOwen going 10 games without a goal. It was starting to make the front pages of newspapers in the little sports bit at the top. I think he then scored a hat trick.

Yeah it happens to the best of them. 

52 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Rooney was also very streaky if I recall correctly. He would score 9 or 10 games in a row, then go scoreless for another 9 or 10. 

• Upvote 1

He started six of the eight league games he went scoreless, played another 90 against West Ham in the cup. So that's seven of the 12 scoreless he started in. But his goals per minutes are still great, according to his Dad on the podcast. 

I'm gonna need a little bit more than an "I seem to recall" when it comes to other top strikers in top, high-scoring teams having 12 game scoreless streaks too. I don't remember that happening.

It didn't happen to the best of them.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

He started six of the eight games he went scoreless, played another 90 against West Ham in the cup. So that's seven of the 12 scoreless he started in. But his goals per minutes are still great, according to his Dad on the podcast. 

I'm gonna need a little bit more than an "I seem to recall" when it comes to other top strikers in top, high-scoring teams having 12 game scoreless streaks too. I don't remember that happening.

But most top strikers take penalties and/or free kicks and this helps to bump up their figures, break droughts and keep confidence high. 

Good well-balanced croissant/ Paris debate but the clincher must be Grand Prix. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Chris said:

He started six of the eight league games he went scoreless, played another 90 against West Ham in the cup. So that's seven of the 12 scoreless he started in. But his goals per minutes are still great, according to his Dad on the podcast. 

I found this in the Guardian archives 

Alan Shearer went 12 games without scoring for England in the leadup to Euro 96. Of course he put that right in the opener against Switzerland.” He went on to score five goals in the tournament and went home with the Golden Boot.

Ian Rush took 10 games to score his “first” Liverpool goal when he returned to the club after a year at Juventus. And going back to England, Wayne Rooney will always remember the 2009-10 season as perhaps his best ever: he scored 35 goals, won the title and was named the PFA and FWA player of the year. Yet over the back end of that campaign and the summer’s World Cup he endured a bleak stretch of more than 18 hours without a goal for club or country.

So Darwin fans win, plus your Chris Rock impression is up there with your Pele joke.

47 minutes ago, aws said:

But most top strikers take penalties and/or free kicks and this helps to bump up their figures, break droughts and keep confidence high. 

Good well-balanced croissant/ Paris debate but the clincher must be Grand Prix. 

He's being ridiculous yet again with his attempts to conflate CROY-SUNT and PA-REE.

Paris with an 's' is the universally-accepted pronunciation anywhere in the English speaking world. This is specific to place names. We aren't taught to pronounce place names in the native tongue.

We either have our own words for them (Germany and Deutschland) or we have Anglicised phonetic pronunciations of them (like Paris instead of Paree or France instead of Fronce). That's just the way it is.

For foods native to the country of origin, the custom is to use the pronunciation of item. Croissant, quiche, coq au vin, crepes, tarte tatin, bourguignon. 

No-one sounds like a knobhead for doing so.

Him pronouncing it croy-sunt is like calling pizza pizz-a.

I'm passed being mildly exasperated about it now and I'm fully enraged.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I found this in the Guardian archives 

Alan Shearer went 12 games without scoring for England in the leadup to Euro 96. Of course he put that right in the opener against Switzerland.” He went on to score five goals in the tournament and went home with the Golden Boot.

Ian Rush took 10 games to score his “first” Liverpool goal when he returned to the club after a year at Juventus. And going back to England, Wayne Rooney will always remember the 2009-10 season as perhaps his best ever: he scored 35 goals, won the title and was named the PFA and FWA player of the year. Yet over the back end of that campaign and the summer’s World Cup he endured a bleak stretch of more than 18 hours without a goal for club or country.

So Darwin fans win, plus your Chris Rock impression is up there with your Pele joke.

Torres was absolutely shit for Chelsea. Forlan was a joke for United for the most part, until he got that double against us at Anfield. I'll give you the others. Apart from the International football ones, because it's shite.

29 minutes ago, Chris said:

He's being ridiculous yet again with his attempts to conflate CROY-SUNT and PA-REE.

Paris with an 's' is the universally-accepted pronunciation anywhere in the English speaking world. This is specific to place names. We aren't taught to pronounce place names in the native tongue.

We either have our own words for them (Germany and Deutschland) or we have Anglicised phonetic pronunciations of them (like Paris instead of Paree or France instead of Fronce). That's just the way it is.

For foods native to the country of origin, the custom is to use the pronunciation of item. Croissant, quiche, coq au vin, crepes, tarte tatin, bourguignon. 

No-one sounds like a knobhead for doing so.

Him pronouncing it croy-sunt is like calling pizza pizz-a.

I'm passed being mildly exasperated about it now and I'm fully enraged.

Chorizo.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Chorizo.

I remember when I moved to the states and we were deciding where to get a quick bite. I said I'd never had Chipotle (and pronounced it Chip-ottle to rhyme with bottle) She's never let me live it down.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Chris said:

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2010/aug/20/wayne-rooney-goal-drought-manchester-united

"It is, officially, the worst scoring run of his professional life. When Wayne Rooney was withdrawn against Newcastle United on Monday it was the 13th successive game in which he had gone without the adrenaline rush he craves the most. In total, it has been 1,081 minutes – just over 18 hours – since his last goal for Manchester United or England.

All that can be said with certainty is that Rooney has never experienced such a morose scoring drought, the previous worst being a 12-game run – 1,002 minutes in terms of match-time – from December 2005 to February 2006, ending when he scored twice in the Carling Cup final against Wigan Athletic."

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Sacray Blue! 

Seven of 12 starts, so just over half then. It's even less than I thought, backs my point up nicely.

Eight league games without a goal. Ok, well I've just googled and Harry Kane once went eight Premier League games without a goal too. Think you mentioned Kane and said he never went through this, so that's wrong. Oh, and Shearer once went 17 matches without scoring, so there's that.

Sorry for not being able to pluck these and other nuggets out of thin air when put on the spot on the pod, but I said its happened to loads of top strikers and clearly it has.

Need more? Well Drogba went 10 hours without a goal in his Chelsea pomp too. It's been mentioned above that Owen and Rush had long barren spells, so did Torres and Rooney. 

You called Forlan the greatest ever Uruguayan until someone mentioned he had a worse drought than Nunez and you pivoted to then say he was shite. Tying yourself in knots here just to do Darwin dirty.

So when you say it didn't happen to the 'best of them', who exactly are you talking about? Ronaldo and Messi? 

The sky is blue, water is wet and strikers occasionally have goal droughts.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Sacray Blue! 

Seven of 12 starts, so just over half then. It's even less than I thought, backs my point up nicely.

Eight league games without a goal. Ok, well I've just googled and Harry Kane once went eight Premier League games without a goal too. Think you mentioned Kane and said he never went through this, so that's wrong. Oh, and Shearer once went 17 matches without scoring, so there's that.

Sorry for not being able to pluck these and other nuggets out of thin air when put on the spot on the pod, but I said its happened to loads of top strikers and clearly it has.

Need more? Well Drogba went 10 hours without a goal in his Chelsea pomp too. It's been mentioned above that Owen and Rush had long barren spells, so did Torres and Rooney. 

You called Forlan the greatest ever Uruguayan until someone mentioned he had a worse drought than Nunez and you pivoted to then say he was shite. Tying yourself in knots here just to do Darwin dirty.

So when you say it didn't happen to the 'best of them', who exactly are you talking about? Ronaldo and Messi? 

The sky is blue, water is wet and strikers occasionally have goal droughts.

So his goals per minute in those 12 games? Zero goals per minute.

No-one's trying to "do him dirty". That's your problem right there. Seeing every criticism as some sort of unjust attack on him when it's perfectly valid.

People are just pointing out stuff to rebuff your ridiculous Trumpian doubling down on being dead wrong about him in the face of all evidence. And then clinging to the exception that proves the rule as if it's some kind of validation for you. Your preoccupation with being proven right supersedes any rational judgement you have in almost all cases. 

Ok, so fair enough, there were some long droughts for top strikers, I was dead wrong about that.

But perhaps the reason I (and probably very few people) can't pluck them out is because they weren't an essential question as part of broader questions about a bloke who should be entering his prime years, is the club record signing, and has one of the worst chance conversion rates going. 

For Shearer, Kane, Rooney, etc; they were remarkable, freakish barren spells for players who made their nut as centre forwards scoring record amounts of goals for their clubs and country.

Not someone who's got five (while being offside 16 times) despite being involved in all but one of our 19 league games this season and has three goals in games he's started, despite having about 20 of the types of chances top forwards dream of.

And hitting the word work instead of finding the corners is not unlucky, it's indicative. It's about precision and instinct in key moments. No-one says Michael van Gerwen is unlucky when he hits the wire when going for double 16, or Ronnie O'Sullivan is unlucky when he skims the knuckle on a tough pot. They're so great because it goes inside the wire/pocket more often than players who aren't as good. But you won't have that because it's "doing me boy dirty."

I look forward to repeating this argument after the next 12 games when he's probably got another 2 goals to his name, if we're lucky.

If he goes on to prove me dead wrong and grabs ten there'll be no-one happier than me.

• Upvote 1

I remember when I was about 10 years of age and I’d gone to bed and could hear my mum and dad arguing and I sat at the top of the stairs hating life, wondering if everything was going to be ok. 

Seeing Chris and Dave like this over Darwin is way worse than anything 10 year old me ever saw or heard that fateful night. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I remember when I was about 10 years of age and I’d gone to bed and could hear my mum and dad arguing and I sat at the top of the stairs hating life, wondering if everything was going to be ok. 

Seeing Chris and Dave like this over Darwin is way worse than anything 10 year old me ever saw or heard that fateful night. 

Don't worry son, when we divorce we'll share custody 50/50. You'll be ok, just remember that whatever happens between me and Chris we both still love you. Not as much as I love Darwin, or as much as Chris loves hating on Darwin, but we both love you.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic