You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 3 Aston Villa 0 - Match Reaction & Ryan Gravenberch discussion

tlw content

As hilarious as @dave u's pronunciation of croissants is, he gave his explanation of not wanting to sound pretentious saying a French word like the French say it, and that's fair enough.

So what excuse has @Chris got for not being able to pronounce an English word? It really couldn't be any more ironic, that the word he's mispronouncing is... pronunciation, as 'pronounciation'.

People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!

16 minutes ago, Chocoholic said:

As hilarious as @dave u's pronunciation of croissants is, he gave his explanation of not wanting to sound pretentious saying a French word like the French say it, and that's fair enough.

So what excuse has @Chris got for not being able to pronounce an English word? It really couldn't be any more ironic, that the word he's mispronouncing is... pronunciation, as 'pronounciation'.

People who live in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones!

Bollocks! It was perfect proNUNciation.

6 hours ago, Chris said:

3,000 listens in 72 hours on this one. Aside from the anomaly of the United 7-0, this is our best performer yet. The pod continues to grow at a steady, if not exponential rate!

Thank you guys. Tell all your friends. 

Think the talk bollocks while having a laugh angle has some traction.  

• Upvote 1

On 06/09/2023 at 00:47, lebron said:

Quick word for @Paul on the lack of interest for Gvardiol. I’m sure we were interested. As with Bellingham though, a package would have been much too expensive for us and our wage structure. Whatever Real are supposedly giving him (and his family) is probably triple of what is the official number. Same with the oil clubs, whenever one of our targets gets linked and gets a sniff of what they are offering (via their agents in most cases), it’s over.

I guess Gvardiol is on double of what Salah is earning for us. If we want to play by the rules, the wages for the likes of him and Caicedo just aren’t feasible. Thankfully there are some loopholes, and while they are making a good fist of it, Chelsea can’t buy everyone!! Just to clarify, we could probably afford the transfer fees for Bellingham or Gvardiol in isolation, but that won’t help much once their agents get news of the difference in wages.

This won’t really change for the foreseeable future either, unless we suddenly start spending the potential Saudi money coming in for Salah. Not like we didn’t use oil/blood money from the hyper inflated Coutinho transfer. I’m not really comfortable with us having to rely on the Saudis to fund this years and probably future transfer windows, but it is what it is at the moment.

You might be right mate, and in the case of someone like Haaland that's definitely how it played out. Whatever he's getting on the books will be a third of what he's actually being paid. 

Do you really think Gvardiol is getting double Mo's salary though? If they're paying him off the books then yeah, we absolutely can't compete. I'm just not sure he's at that level where they'd need to do that. Could be wrong though and I wouldn't put anything past them.

• Upvote 1

Completely agree with Chris about Salah and forum members wanting money for him. I'd rather have the guaranteed World class player. We've kept powder dry yet again and got fuckloads off the wage pot, so sod all this bean counting, we shouldn't need to sell Salah to fund his replacement. That's before the price increasing exponentially once we have received big money for him. Saudi can receive our unflushable turds, not our diamonds.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Completely agree with Chris about Salah and forum members wanting money for him. I'd rather have the guaranteed World class player. We've kept powder dry yet again and got fuckloads off the wage pot, so sod all this bean counting, we shouldn't need to sell Salah to fund his replacement. That's before the price increasing exponentially once we have received big money for him. Saudi can receive our unflushable turds, not our diamonds.

We have spent £180m net (£295m v £115m) in the last 4 windows. 

Would £90m net, be enough to complete the squad overhaul in January and next summer?

I suppose it would depend on how much we make when we sell some fringe players like Carvalho, and whether we feel we need a right-back, a DM, and replacements to Matip, (Van Dijk?) and Thiago. 

Obviously sales of other first team squad players that want to leave e.g. Salah, Kelleher, Tsimikas etc. will need to be replaced but those sales would generate more than enough for that. 

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

We have spent £180m net (£295m v £115m) in the last 4 windows. 

Would £90m net, be enough to complete the squad overhaul in January and next summer?

I suppose it would depend on how much we make when we sell some fringe players like Carvalho, and whether we feel we need a right-back, a DM, and replacements to Matip, (Van Dijk?) and Thiago. 

Obviously sales of other first team squad players that want to leave e.g. Salah, Kelleher, Tsimikas etc. will need to be replaced but those sales would generate more than enough for that. 

That's if we write off/snort off (big Jorg) the dry powder from previous windows (Bellingham and Caicedo money). There is a possibility of a rebuild in defence I suppose but hopefully that wouldn't all be required in 1 window. You make good points, but also - fuck the bean counting! 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Chris said:

3,000 listens in 72 hours on this one. Aside from the anomaly of the United 7-0, this is our best performer yet. The pod continues to grow at a steady, if not exponential rate!

I really enjoyed this one. So refreshing that performance and positive analysis after last season ( not blaming the podcast!)

I feel so happy that we look like a team again. I was listening to the pod in the gym and smiling so much I think people thought I had creepy intentions (I didn’t).

19 hours ago, Chris said:

The word is out about Dave’s croissant pronunciation, wait until it goes viral, your servers will crash.

1 hour ago, aws said:

I have no doubt that Lister would pronounce croissant just like Dave.  

3 million years from now...

Everybody calls it kwahson, Dave.

What even English people?

Yes, Dave. Everyone calls it kwahson, Dave.

Even if they sound pretentious?

Yes, Dave. Eveyone calls it kwahson, Dave. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 7

13 hours ago, dave u said:

You might be right mate, and in the case of someone like Haaland that's definitely how it played out. Whatever he's getting on the books will be a third of what he's actually being paid. 

Do you really think Gvardiol is getting double Mo's salary though? If they're paying him off the books then yeah, we absolutely can't compete. I'm just not sure he's at that level where they'd need to do that. Could be wrong though and I wouldn't put anything past them.

I'm not saying they need to pay him THAT much. It removes all competition though. We've not been realistically linked with him once, even with him being a lifelong Liverpool fan and us publically saying we're after a new CB and preferably a left-sided one. Other clubs should have been linked too, yet there he is; hottest CB property in world football and no-one's being linked apart from City. In a market where there's a dearth of CBs, so all the big clubs desperately need one. Also with the lad having a stormer of a World Cup? A tad suspicious isn't it? As a boyhood Liverpool fan, don't you think he might have wanted to hear us out if we were offering say 200 a week? I'm pretty sure his agent would have been good with that (we regularly are top of the clubs paying out agent fees) unless someone doubled or tripled what our offer would be? My guess is that City leaked early on (as they and now Chelsea seem to do) that he would be getting (at least) half a million a week. It's the same reason why De Bruyne, Aguero, David Silva never gets/got linked with a move away. There simply aren't any other clubs being able to offer what City do (up until now with the Saudi league), so the agents have got no leverage. The players seem all to happy with staying at a plastic club, as long as they and their families are being set up for life with offshore accounts galore.

We've heard Klopp say repeatedly that the numbers being thrown around for Mbappe, Haaland and others are insane, and there's absolutely no chance for us to do it. That would be the same for Caicedo and Gvardiol. If Salah gets 350 for us, would you be comfortable with either of Caicedo and Gvardiol earning more? I guarantee you they are. The City books won't show it of course, but the Chelsea ones might once their 8 year contracts are leaked...

A year from now, Haaland will be linked with a move to the Saudi League and he'll re-negotiate his "contract" with City and his team will make sure that he earns more than what Mbappe will with his baked-in transfer fee free-agent deal with Real. I'm guessing those two will rake in approx 2 (Mbappe) and 3 m (Haaland) a week a from their clubs alone. Hooray for the supply and demand football market, eh?

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, Chris said:

3 million years from now...

Everybody calls it kwahson, Dave.

What even English people?

Yes, Dave. Everyone calls it kwahson, Dave.

Even if they sound pretentious?

Yes, Dave. Eveyone calls it kwahson, Dave. 

Rimmer: Toast again, Lister? You should ask Kryten to bake you a croissant or something.

Lister: I tried but the gimboid was in pretentious mode and refused to understand me.  

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

This.

Newgut

Dave would have plenty of experience pronouncing New Jersey after his 30 odd years as a Bon Jovi fanboy.

I'm not a native so I'm not going to pronounce it like one. Same reason I don't call Paris "Paree" or Rome "Roma" or Newcastle "New Castle".

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

No I say that properly as - unlike croissant - you can say it without signing like a twat.

I literally do not know when you'd ever have to say the word "croissant". If I had to, I'd say it the French way, but since they always come pre-packed in every shop you'd ever get them from, I can honestly say I've never had to. I'd pay good money to be stood next to you in whatever bakery you've had to say this in though. Do they do croissants in Maghull?

• dave u unpinned this topic