You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These Just Stop Oil protesters

Kevin D

6 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Obviously I agree, however I would also imagine she was portrayed differently at the time by the independent media to how she is portrayed now by the same media. 

Whilst the courage is completely different, the reaction is completely the same. Hopefully again they will be on the wrong side and we will look back on these times as heroic, as @AngryOfTuebrooksaid, prepared to give up their liberty for something they believe will benefit others.

I don't think the reaction is the same.

People wanted her dead, probably millions of them. A load of people on social media are having a moan about these protestors ruining a game of cricket/snooker and will have forgotten about it in a week.

Not that I disagree with their point but everything is just a click bait fucking circus today.

18 minutes ago, Special K said:

The lad who tried to tie himself to the goal at the Wolves game is my cousin. No idea how he got involved with it all though.

Hahahaha what. Funny as fuck that, the way he just stood there stone faced while they were all panicking like bluebottles around a fresh shit. Went quiet about the fan handing them a knife 

20 hours ago, Mook said:

Although I understand the comparison, these protestors don't belong in the same conversation as Rosa Parks IMO.

What she did was completely and utterly heroic in every way, a bit different to disrupting a game of snooker.

I doubt it was viewed as you do it now very much at the time. 

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I doubt it was viewed as you do it now very much at the time. 

I'm pretty sure it was by the millions of people who opposed such a disgusting apartheid.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha what. Funny as fuck that, the way he just stood there stone faced while they were all panicking like bluebottles around a fresh shit. Went quiet about the fan handing them a knife 

Not the Everton game, it was the next night (I think) at Molineux

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mook said:

I'm pretty sure it was by the millions of people who opposed such a disgusting apartheid.

They were kept silent like those of us who oppose such things now are too. It took a long time for her actions to be widely recognised as 'brave.' This is why and what these campaigns want to achieve.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They were kept silent like those of us who oppose such things now are too. It took a long time for her actions to be widely recognised as 'brave.' This is why and what these campaigns want to achieve.

They weren't really kept silent though, have you heard of the civil rights movement? And her actions were immediately recognised as brave by all those people I've just mentioned. Rosa Parks wasn't the first person to refuse to be moved on the bus due to the colour of her skin.

Who is being kept silent now out of interest?

1 minute ago, Mook said:

They weren't really kept silent though, have you heard of the civil rights movement? And her actions were immediately recognised as brave by all those people I've just mentioned.

Who is being kept silent now out of interest?

The people in powerful positions are deflecting everything by carrying on unrestrained. They own the media and thereby set the agenda. Do we all know about the constant protests up and down the country at universities over the last few years? The millions who have marched to voice their opposition at the dismantling the NHS? 

PS,by 'we' I don't mean us on here but the country as a whole,those 'news at ten' and 'six o'clock news' watchers and so on are who I mean. 

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The people in powerful positions are deflecting everything by carrying on unrestrained. They own the media and thereby set the agenda. Do we all know about the constant protests up and down the country at universities over the last few years? The millions who have marched to voice their opposition at the dismantling the NHS? 

PS,by 'we' I don't mean us on here but the country as a whole,those 'news at ten' and 'six o'clock news' watchers and so on are who I mean. 

You move the goalposts to somewhere else every time you reply & just trot out tired, ill-conceived, cliche ridden pish.

I'm not sure thousands marching in defence of the NHS or whatever cause are being 'silenced' as such but let's just say you're right and we can go and do something more productive with our evenings.

• Haha 1

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/02/dont-look-up-director-adam-mckay-to-triple-donations-to-just-stop-oil

The Hollywood director of Netflix film Don’t Look Up has pledged to triple donations to Just Stop Oil over the weekend, the group has said.

Adam McKay, who made the satire on the climate crisis as well as Step Brothers and The Big Short, said he stands with the protesters, praising them for waking up “sleeping governments”.

He will triple donations sent to Just Stop Oil, known for disrupting traffic and sporting events, pound-for-pound until 10am on Sunday.

McKay said: “The scientific reality is we will hit 1.5C of global heating in the next 18-24 months, which should greatly alarm each and every person on this planet.

“I stand with those taking action to defend the climate, to wake up the world’s sleeping governments to the terrifying scale of the catastrophe we are now living through.”

It comes after the British businessman Dale Vince, a major Labour party donor, vowed to double all money given to the group over a 48-hour period on Wednesday.

On Friday evening he said a total of £340,000 had been raised. He said on Twitter: “This is what we did after the rightwing mud slinging.”

The tweet came amid controversy over the Labour party’s receipt of financial support from Vince, who is also a key donor to Just Stop Oil.

Keir Starmer has previously condemned the activists, describing them as “wrong” and “arrogant” and senior Conservatives, including the party chairman, Greg Hands, have called on the Labour leader to hand back money given by Vince, arguing it legitimises the group’s tactics.

Just Stop Oil protesters were able to disrupt the Gallagher Premiership rugby final at Twickenham between Saracens and Sale last weekend, and on Thursday the England cricket team’s bus was delayed on its way to Lord’s.

On 01/06/2023 at 20:03, Mook said:

You move the goalposts to somewhere else every time you reply & just trot out tired, ill-conceived, cliche ridden pish.

I'm not sure thousands marching in defence of the NHS or whatever cause are being 'silenced' as such but let's just say you're right and we can go and do something more productive with our evenings.

You are a twat on semantics. Ok,silenced maybe not but ignoring? Unreported? Barely given the time of day? Is that better? The Internet maybe doesnt 'silence' it but the people in charge deflect or ignore it and millions buy it at election time. I mean,how are these nazis being constantly being elected if everybody is fully informed?