You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Doing nothing else this week is very, very risky IMO

It also means addtional pressure on next two windows with surely Matip and Thiago leaving next summer. Salah probably going then too and VVD turning 33.....fair bit of work there. 

It is risky & pressure from fans point of view and Klopp too but he is never going to complain. 

As for FSG, they are doing what they have always done, do the minimum and bank on Klopp's brilliance to get the top 4. Klopp said it himself recently (although indirectly) - we only spent big when we sold Coutinho. All other times, it has been a case of do enough to have a chance of top 4 and consistently increase the value of the club. 

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It is risky & pressure from fans point of view and Klopp too but he is never going to complain. 

As for FSG, they are doing what they have always done, do the minimum and bank on Klopp's brilliance to get the top 4. Klopp said it himself recently (although indirectly) - we only spent big when we sold Coutinho. All other times, it has been a case of do enough to have a chance of top 4 and consistently increase the value of the club. 

Maybe Klopp is in on it rather than being a bystander?

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Saudis supposedly now targeting Konate. Reckon they see us as easy pickings with a break even model needing to sell big to buy and no oil money backers. 

I think they see us as the most likely club to knock their team out of the CL places and are kicking up as much shit as possible.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Razoray said:

From the Athletic - seems as if there is no clarity on when the Saudi window closes.

Screenshot_20230830_104611_The Athletic.jpg

The closing date doesn't matter, I'm sure anyone going there for the football will handle the inconvenience of having no football until January.

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Maybe Klopp is in on it rather than being a bystander?

You mean Klopp is perfectly happy with FSG's transfer & spend policy? If he was, he wouldn't have said in the past that the club should take more risks in the transfer market (i.e. buying before selling). He also alluded to the fact just a few days before that the only time we spent big was after we sold Coutinho. He also said we need a bigger rebuild and therefore cannot afford to spend £100m on Bellingham. That was BEFORE Hendo & Fab left. 

Klopp sees it in a simple way & has said as much before - he is an employee who works with what he is given, he cannot be angry because that is going to achieve nothing. He is not a Rafa, he just gets on with his job. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

What’s the consensus on Kolo Muani? Worth a speculative punt with any potential Mo money? Not sure he fits in right now but he’s probably the player we should have signed last season.

Not what we need at the moment, last season he was a speculative free transfer from Nantes so probably not what we needed back then.

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

You mean Klopp is perfectly happy with FSG's transfer & spend policy? If he was, he wouldn't have said in the past that the club should take more risks in the transfer market (i.e. buying before selling). He also alluded to the fact just a few days before that the only time we spent big was after we sold Coutinho. He also said we need a bigger rebuild and therefore cannot afford to spend £100m on Bellingham. That was BEFORE Hendo & Fab left. 

Klopp sees it in a simple way & has said as much before - he is an employee who works with what he is given, he cannot be angry because that is going to achieve nothing. He is not a Rafa, he just gets on with his job. 

No I mean Klopp is in on the decision making and has final say on signings despite the increased attempts to paint him as an innocent bystander without any say whatsoever in the recruitment process.

Doesn't mean he has to agree with every aspect of what happens, or that the recruitment team has to agree with every final decision he makes, or that FSG provide enough resources.

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

No I mean Klopp is in on the decision making and has final say on signings despite the increased attempts to paint him as an innocent bystander without any say whatsoever in the recruitment process.

Doesn't mean he has to agree with every aspect of what happens, or that the recruitment team has to agree with every final decision he makes, or that FSG provide enough resources.

Who said he doesn't have any say in the recruitment process? He has said himself that he has the final say on any player so not sure where that comes from. 

My point remains that FSG do the minimum, they always have and always will. I cannot imagine for a second Klopp is in on it because he has said it himself at various times that he is not. 

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Who said he doesn't have any say in the recruitment process? He has said himself that he has the final say on any player so not sure where that comes from. 

My point remains that FSG do the minimum, they always have and always will. I cannot imagine for a second Klopp is in on it because he has said it himself at various times that he is not. 

We know money was available for Caicedo/Lavia and we know we're not looking at a true 6, that someone wants a 'multi-functional' midfielder and that Gravenberch seems to be the apple of Klopp's (or Klopp and Ljinders) eye all summer.