You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Something Fishy about Rishi

Bjornebye

They are already eating each other alive… gone by Tuesday.

Suella Braverman was "amazed" and "in denial" over being forced to resign for breaching the ministerial code, according to sources. 

Ms Braverman stood down as then PM Liz Truss's home secretary on 19 October after admitting to a "technical infringement" by sending an official document from a personal email account. 

A number of sources have disputed Ms Braverman's version of events. 

Rishi Sunak is facing questions over reappointing her six days later.

The new prime minister defended his decision to make Ms Braverman his home secretary, saying "she made an error of judgment, but she recognised that, she raised the matter and she accepted her mistake".

The BBC has spoken to several people with knowledge of the events surrounding Ms Braverman's resignation. 

A number of them dispute Ms Braverman's claim to have reported her mistake to the cabinet secretary - the head of the civil service - as soon as she realised. 

When confronted about her transgression she attempted to play down and explain away what had happened, sources suggested.

Ms Braverman had emailed a draft written ministerial statement on immigration policy to her close political ally, Conservative MP Sir John Hayes, using her personal email instead of her official government account. 

The document made reference to plans to "make changes to the visa system to support economic growth" and to "ensure our visa system supports priority growth projects" and "extending the high potential individual visa route", the BBC understands.

Ms Braverman had intended to copy in Sir John Hayes's wife, who works in his office. But she chose the wrong recipient and instead sent it to a staff member of another Conservative MP, Andrew Percy, early in the morning of 19 October. 

When Mr Percy became aware of what had happened, he approached the chief whip, who is responsible for party discipline. The chief whip in turn passed the issue on to Number 10 and the Cabinet Office. 

It's understood Mr Percy's office also made Ms Braverman aware of the error shortly after the mistaken email was received. 

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case advised then prime minister Ms Truss that "it was an open and shut case of the ministerial code being breached", according to one government insider. He had not by then been approached by the home secretary herself, according to sources.

Media caption, 

Sir Keir advises Rishi Sunak: "He should sack her - that would be the strong thing to do. That's what I would do if I was PM."

Downing Street has insisted it won't comment on the "timeline" of events. 

One source told me "initially [Ms Braverman] was in a state of denial" when Ms Truss made it clear that afternoon she would have to resign. 

"She was saying it was a minor thing," the same source added.

Another said Ms Braverman was "amazed" that Ms Truss took the view she did. 

A source close to the home secretary said any suggestion she was confronted by the cabinet secretary with evidence of the breach was false, adding: "In advance of the meeting with the prime minister, she had communicated it proactively via official channels, to the cabinet secretary."

Instead of waiting for the resignation to be choreographed by Number 10, Ms Braverman published her resignation letter on Twitter last Wednesday evening. 

In the letter, Ms Braverman said she had "serious concerns" about Ms Truss's government's commitment to reducing migration numbers.

Labour is calling on Mr Sunak to sack Ms Braverman, claiming that she proses a potential security risk.

The opposition party is also demanding "urgent reassurances" that the leaked email did not contain "market sensitive information".

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Needs to stop these extra salaries for politicians. These people are not that brilliant that companies pay extraordinary amounts for their knowledge and skillset, its purely for access and influence. Its a corruption in my opinion.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Needs to stop these extra salaries for politicians. These people are not that brilliant that companies pay extraordinary amounts for their knowledge and skillset, its purely for access and influence. Its a corruption in my opinion.

Yeah definitely. Sunak not going to the COP summit also raises questions. He shouldn't be missing a conference as serious as that. As you say it all stinks to high heaven. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Course it is.

I remember reading grayling getting paid about 100k for about 2 days work as an "advisor '

And we laugh at the corruption going on in other countries. 

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He posted the same story from 4 different Twitters FFS.

The first three links were different stories all regarding Sunak. The first was his stupid video, the post was negged. The second was his visit to the hospital, it got negged by the same person. The third was Sunaks email to staff which mentioned Corbyn six times, it also got negged, same fella.

I then repeated the hospital link but the second link Pippa Crerea gave information on the poor state of nurses pay, which was what the old lady in the hospital complained to Sunak about. Same outcome. Anyways.

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Gnasher said:

The first three links were different stories all regarding Sunak. The first was his stupid video, the post was negged. The second was his visit to the hospital, it got negged by the same person. The third was Sunaks email to staff which mentioned Corbyn six times, it also got negged, same fella.

I then repeated the hospital link but the second link Pippa Crerea gave information on the poor state of nurses pay, which was what the old lady in the hospital complained to Sunak about. Same outcome. Anyways.

Been holding that one in, hun? 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Been holding that one in, hun? 

Only then noticed his post Numerous. Haven't you got better things to do than chase a stranger around the Internet? Tried talking to someone in real life? Relieve your stress, let go of that angst. 

Why don't you give it a rest? For your own sake. This can't be doing you good. Or take it to PM? Another poster asked you/me this nicely ths other day didn't she? 

I've told you, if I annoy you this much put me on ignore.

I hate the cunt. He and Braverman 100% cut a deal when Truss was still leading. It absolutely fucking stinks. I was at my folks' house when she resigned and we all said at the time that she'd done that shit on purpose to help get Truss out. What an absolute set of cunts. 

I've put it on record before that I can't be doing with anyone in Westminster but for fuck sake can someone in opposition start doing something constructive and worthwhile against the tories rather than stamping their feet and demanding a GE? It's not going to fucking happen. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I hate the cunt. He and Braverman 100% cut a deal when Truss was still leading. It absolutely fucking stinks. I was at my folks' house when she resigned and we all said at the time that she'd done that shit on purpose to help get Truss out. What an absolute set of cunts. 

I've put it on record before that I can't be doing with anyone in Westminster but for fuck sake can someone in opposition start doing something constructive and worthwhile against the tories rather than stamping their feet and demanding a GE? It's not going to fucking happen. 

Your're right, no way will the Tories call an election they know they'd lose. I'm not his biggest fan but Starmers approx 30 points ahead in the polls and Labour are odds on with the bookies to win the next election. So in that respect they're doing well.

It is excruciating watching the likes of Sunak swanning around a hospital in the meantime though.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Only then noticed his post Numerous. Haven't you got better things to do than chase a stranger around the Internet? Tried talking to someone in real life? Relieve your stress, let go of that angst. 

Why don't you give it a rest? For your own sake. This can't be doing you good. Or take it to PM? Another poster asked you/me this nicely ths other day didn't she? 

I've told you, if I annoy you this much put me on ignore.

Haha. Gnasher, I’ve already told you why multiple times why ignoring you doesn’t work. If you cut down the Twitter spam then you’ll never hear from me again. Learn how to put things in one post. 

Now, are you going to be able to keep it down to 5 times you post about the old lady in hospital today? 

14 hours ago, Fugitive said:

They are already eating each other alive… gone by Tuesday.

Suella Braverman was "amazed" and "in denial" over being forced to resign for breaching the ministerial code, according to sources. 

Ms Braverman stood down as then PM Liz Truss's home secretary on 19 October after admitting to a "technical infringement" by sending an official document from a personal email account. 

A number of sources have disputed Ms Braverman's version of events. 

Rishi Sunak is facing questions over reappointing her six days later.

The new prime minister defended his decision to make Ms Braverman his home secretary, saying "she made an error of judgment, but she recognised that, she raised the matter and she accepted her mistake".

The BBC has spoken to several people with knowledge of the events surrounding Ms Braverman's resignation. 

A number of them dispute Ms Braverman's claim to have reported her mistake to the cabinet secretary - the head of the civil service - as soon as she realised. 

When confronted about her transgression she attempted to play down and explain away what had happened, sources suggested.

Ms Braverman had emailed a draft written ministerial statement on immigration policy to her close political ally, Conservative MP Sir John Hayes, using her personal email instead of her official government account. 

The document made reference to plans to "make changes to the visa system to support economic growth" and to "ensure our visa system supports priority growth projects" and "extending the high potential individual visa route", the BBC understands.

Ms Braverman had intended to copy in Sir John Hayes's wife, who works in his office. But she chose the wrong recipient and instead sent it to a staff member of another Conservative MP, Andrew Percy, early in the morning of 19 October. 

When Mr Percy became aware of what had happened, he approached the chief whip, who is responsible for party discipline. The chief whip in turn passed the issue on to Number 10 and the Cabinet Office. 

It's understood Mr Percy's office also made Ms Braverman aware of the error shortly after the mistaken email was received. 

Cabinet Secretary Simon Case advised then prime minister Ms Truss that "it was an open and shut case of the ministerial code being breached", according to one government insider. He had not by then been approached by the home secretary herself, according to sources.

Media caption, 

Sir Keir advises Rishi Sunak: "He should sack her - that would be the strong thing to do. That's what I would do if I was PM."

Downing Street has insisted it won't comment on the "timeline" of events. 

One source told me "initially [Ms Braverman] was in a state of denial" when Ms Truss made it clear that afternoon she would have to resign. 

"She was saying it was a minor thing," the same source added.

Another said Ms Braverman was "amazed" that Ms Truss took the view she did. 

A source close to the home secretary said any suggestion she was confronted by the cabinet secretary with evidence of the breach was false, adding: "In advance of the meeting with the prime minister, she had communicated it proactively via official channels, to the cabinet secretary."

Instead of waiting for the resignation to be choreographed by Number 10, Ms Braverman published her resignation letter on Twitter last Wednesday evening. 

In the letter, Ms Braverman said she had "serious concerns" about Ms Truss's government's commitment to reducing migration numbers.

Labour is calling on Mr Sunak to sack Ms Braverman, claiming that she proses a potential security risk.

The opposition party is also demanding "urgent reassurances" that the leaked email did not contain "market sensitive information".

Putting aside what braverman did on this. Everyone seems to be missing the real security breach here is how she get the documents? There shouldn't be anywhere inside government IT where you can lift and shift documents out of their environment. There shouldn't be capacity to get to Gmail. There shouldn't be an ability to download or save docs to either a hard drive or usb. So either government security is fucking shite and we have vulnerabilities absolutely everywhere or she's done some real devious shit to extract that data to share without visibility. It should be as impossible as anything can be in technology to get secure documents to personal space. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Putting aside what braverman did on this. Everyone seems to be missing the real security breach here is how she get the documents? There shouldn't be anywhere inside government IT where you can lift and shift documents out of their environment. There shouldn't be capacity to get to Gmail. There shouldn't be an ability to download or save docs to either a hard drive or usb. So either government security is fucking shite and we have vulnerabilities absolutely everywhere or she's done some real devious shit to extract that data to share without visibility. It should be as impossible as anything can be in technology to get secure documents to personal space. 

The security breach has overshadowed what she was actually up to. James o brien was talking about it.

She was sending it to a no mark right wing Tory MP and his wife to see if it was right wing enough before she proceeded with it. Amazing stuff.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Haha. Gnasher, I’ve already told you why multiple times why ignoring you doesn’t work. If you cut down the Twitter spam then you’ll never hear from me again. Learn how to put things in one post. 

Now, are you going to be able to keep it down to 5 times you post about the old lady in hospital today? 

I've already explained they were not all the same message. The first was Sunaks video, the second was the lady in hospital. Another link posted was Sunaks email to members where he mentioned Corbyn six times.You negged all three.

I did linked a different article on the lady in hospital because the new link contained Pippa Creara's quote on nurses wages, which was what the old lady took Sunak to task over. 

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The security breach has overshadowed what she was actually up to. James o brien was talking about it.

She was sending it to a no mark right wing Tory MP and his wife to see if it was right wing enough before she proceeded with it. Amazing stuff.

but my point is how has the breach been possible? it should be impossible. so either we have some glaring national security issues or she has done a whole lot more than an accidental "used my whatsapp/gmail" - documents shouldn't be in the environment where you can use such things. who she has sent it to is then obviously an issue from a security perspective, but it just shouldn't be possible to do. if it is that simple for her to share confidential documents, this country has no secrets because our enemies will have already exploited these vulnerabilities (or security "design")