You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

20 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

PR spin is in full effect, we are apparently now planning to give Harvey Elliot a new contract. 

Despite him currently having one that ends in 2026.

Why the fuck are we trying to give him a new contract four years before his current one finishes? Especially after the fact he’s had a near career ending injury? He’s frankly done nothing to earn it, he’s barely played 10 minutes for fucks sake. 

Most young players now have agreements to trigger new contract discussions after certain milestones or achievements. I would imagine Elliot has triggered his. We should be rewarding young players if they exceed expectation, it's much better than creating the situation we did with sterling. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Most young players now have agreements to trigger new contract discussions after certain milestones or achievements. I would imagine Elliot has triggered his. We should be rewarding young players if they exceed expectation, it's much better than creating the situation we did with sterling. 

What milestone would he have achieved since last summer? Starting five games?

There is absolutely zero reason to give him a new contract. There is no danger of the sterling situation because he’s so far away from contract expiry and is actually a lifelong Liverpool fan. 

Anyway, it is what it is. Ultimately I don’t give a fuck because it’s nothing news…if anything the club has done him no favors by announcing this now. 

Also just to be clear. All the LFC journos we’re briefed the exact same thing. 

LFC will not be pursuing a midfielder and are not interested in Nunes…

…BECAUSE they trust Harvey Elliot and are actually going to give him a new contract. 

That is PR spin. They have absolved themselves of the responsibility to invest by trying to spin the renewing of terms of an unproven and untested 19 year old right winger as the solution. Fuck off. 

Just now, FrenchEyeGlass said:

What milestone would he have achieved since last summer? Starting five games?

There is absolutely zero reason to give him a new contract. There is no danger of the sterling situation because he’s so far away from contract expiry and is actually a lifelong Liverpool fan. 

Anyway, it is what it is. Ultimately I don’t give a fuck because it’s nothing news…if anything the club has done him no favors by announcing this now. 

It could be being named in 2 premier League squads for the season, I don't know because I don't have his contract. But it's pretty normal practice, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be here. Saturday was his 50th 1st team appearance since he's been a Liverpool player (although 41 of them were at Blackburn) , so that could be it. It could be he's about to play his 10th game for the club. There's just literally loads of things he could have done that seem small, but trigger contract talks because he was on a junior contract. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

It could be being named in 2 premier League squads for the season, I don't know because I don't have his contract. But it's pretty normal practice, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be here. Saturday was his 50th 1st team appearance since he's been a Liverpool player (although 41 of them were at Blackburn) , so that could be it. It could be he's about to play his 10th game for the club. There's just literally loads of things he could have done that seem small, but trigger contract talks because he was on a junior contract. 

I have no issue with us giving him a new contract, I have an issue with us briefing every journalist that giving him one is the reason we are not buying a new midfielder. He’s not a fucking midfielder for one, and even if he plays as a RCM, there is nothing to suggest that he is ready to win us a title. 

1 minute ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I have no issue with us giving him a new contract, I have an issue with us briefing every journalist that giving him one is the reason we are not buying a new midfielder. He’s not a fucking midfielder for one, and even if he plays as a RCM, there is nothing to suggest that he is ready to win us a title. 

Hmm?

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hmm?

Harvey Elliot has spent the majority of his footballing career as a right winger. He spent his entire loan season at Blackburn as one, he was one at Fulham and he played there when he first joined us (his debut was replacing Salah off the bench)

Random site but here is a summary of his starting position In matches:

https://www.footballcritic.com/harvey-elliott/player-positions/279054

Primarily a right winger, only become a midfielder in his last 8 or so games for us. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he will succeed there, just that it’s a poor excuse for not signing a midfielder because he is totally unproven. 

8 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Why do new contracts for our players only happen during the transfer window? 

Have a wild guess. 

Why are you getting so exercised about this one? It's all a bit irrelevant and completely separate to transfer dealings.

We've done well to tie down our key players to long term contracts (I'm not including Elliott in this group). The Salah one was great news during the summer. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Why are you getting so exercised about this one? It's all a bit irrelevant and completely separate to transfer dealings.

We've done well to tie down our key players to long term contracts (I'm not including Elliott in this group). The Salah one was great news during the summer. 

it hasn’t got anything to do with him getting a contract, I like him as a player a lot. It’s just the realization that it pretty much confirms we are going into this season with no more signings.

which pretty much confirms we are not winning a title this year, unless the gods conspire to make it happen against all odds. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Harvey Elliot has spent the majority of his footballing career as a right winger. He spent his entire loan season at Blackburn as one, he was one at Fulham and he played there when he first joined us (his debut was replacing Salah off the bench)

Random site but here is a summary of his starting position In matches:

https://www.footballcritic.com/harvey-elliott/player-positions/279054

Primarily a right winger, only become a midfielder in his last 8 or so games for us. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he will succeed there, just that it’s a poor excuse for not signing a midfielder because he is totally unproven. 

You didn't have to look all that up, I'm aware of all that. None of that means he won't play in midfield here. 

It's reminiscent of Wijnaldum not being a midfielder when he signs here and then oh look at that, he starts playing in midfield. Elliott is clearly an option there. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

it hasn’t got anything to do with him getting a contract, I like him as a player a lot. It’s just the realization that it pretty much confirms we are going into this season with no more signings.

which pretty much confirms we are not winning a title this year, unless the gods conspire to make it happen against all odds. 

Perhaps the more important discussion at the moment is Naby's deal. Not done yet and some talk that it isn't straightforward. Think that will more likely have more impact 

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I agree on the spin though. That is the one thing that annoys me about the club.

Love to do an article about us thinking 2-3 windows ahead, the commercial success of the club, the data analytics that help them to identify all of these players and gems and yet we have got ourselves into a position where we have about 9 players for 3 positions with a number who have injury problems and skillsets that are arguably misding. Yet supposedly there is no one out there that is either a) available or b) affordable to change the situation. It just doesn't really add up. 

Unfortunately it does make you think that the owners/club just don't want to spend again.

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Liverpool will not be moving for Alisson, as Karius remains in Klopp's plans

Whether we give Elliott a new contract or not, it doesn't mean much. Maybe we're still kicking the tyres on a new midfielder, maybe we're not. We've seen this dance before.

Fabinho, Alisson, Diaz and Nunez all seemed to happen almost overnight with little or no prior speculation. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up, but who knows. 

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Doesn't make any difference where he played for Blackburn/Fulham - Elliott has been seen as a midfielder by our club for some time.

I'll love to be reassured about him, but so far I just don't see the reason for so much enthusiasm. No player has been hyped by the club like this lad. No one. During lockdown, Pep even did a fawning interview with him as though he was Messi mark II. He's really done nothing to merit so much excitement. He clearly has vision, a good touch, and plenty of confidence, but it's nowhere near what you'd expect given the positivity about him. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Fabinho, Alisson, Diaz and Nunez all seemed to happen almost overnight with little or no prior speculation. I wouldn't be getting my hopes up, but who knows. 

Go on, get your hopes up mate. Crushing disappointment is how all transfer windows should end.

I still think we'll sort a deal for Bellingham.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I'll love to be reassured about him, but so far I just don't see the reason for so much enthusiasm. No player has been hyped by the club like this lad. No one. During lockdown, Pep even did a fawning interview with him as though he was Messi mark II. He's really done nothing to merit so much excitement. He clearly has vision, a good touch, and plenty of confidence, but it's nowhere near what you'd expect given the positivity about him. 

I would think that if Klopp, Lijnders and Pep are all fans that he has done something.

6 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Klopp and the coaching staff have always spoke highly of all our players - Brewster, Ibe, Solanki....everyone. Elliott might genuinely turn out to be a top talent in a year or two but if he doesn't I am sure we will end up selling him for good money. Like we have done in the past with many young players. 

Get him under a nice long contract and one of the premierships smaller fish will be offering £25 million for him in 18 months time. Honestly I haven't seem much from him so far to suggest he'll establish himself with us.