You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Jan 24-28 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday Jan 24:

The fallout from that pen we got yesterday is mad. You’d think it was the biggest VAR scandal of the season and that it had been a decisive decision that decided where the points were going. It’s a contentious decision that I personally think they got wrong but we see far worse decisions than that on a weekly basis. It’s odd the way so many pundits and journos have their knickers in a knot over this one though.

I think what’s annoying me most is that we were 2-1 up and the pen was in the 89th minute. In other words, Palace had six minutes to force an equaliser and we had six minutes to kill them off on the break (as we almost did with the pen incident). What was more likely? Us holding on for 2-1 or even scoring again, or Palace equalising? The chances of them snatching a draw are what, 10% at the absolute most? They hadn’t created a chance for about 25 minutes and it looked like we’d finally got them under control. So we were very likely to win the game even without the pen.

Yet Vieira called it game changing and I heard it described on the news as ‘decisive’. Get to fuck. There was none of this shit when City got that armpit handball against Wolves when it was 0-0, or when Bernardo took a blatant dive against Arsenal and got a pen that brought them back from 1-0 down. Micah Richards was fucking pathetic on MOTD2. The novelty has worn off with him now, I never used to mind him as at least he seemed to be enjoying his work, but it turns out his only real usefulness is being able to bring out the fun side of Roy Keane. Still, that’s one more thing than Jermaine Jenas brings to the table.

The thing is, I’m in agreement with those saying it isn’t a pen. What I take exception to is the outrage at what they seem to be suggesting is one of the great travesties of our time. This isn’t a big deal at all. It is if you’re a Palace fan and I’m completely ok with them kicking off as I would be if the shoe was on the other foot. All these so called ‘neutrals’ going mad about it though, behave yourselves knobheads.

Meanwhile, Everton’s managerial search has led them to some Portuguese fella I’ve never heard of who got relegated in Turkey. Yep, that’ll do, sign me up for those shenanigans. Tell you what though, those scenes of Kenwright being grilled by them after the Villa game were fucking grim. I struggled to watch it, it was uncomfortable. He’s an old man having to face a barrage of aggressive questioning from clueless dickheads who seem to be blaming everyone else other than the man responsible for it all. Just because Moshiri has put money in it’s like they’re scared to target him. “Sack the board”. It wasn’t the board that appointed Rafa! 

Kenwright will have been vehemently against that as he isn’t stupid. He knows what Everton fans want and don’t want, because he is one himself. But he’s got fuck all say anymore because he sold to a rich fella because the fans wanted him to sell to a rich fella. Now they’re giving him shit because it turns out the rich fella might be rich but he is also fucking mental. Bill Kenwright is a cringey bastard who is way over the top with his theatrical nature of support. But he’s also a thoroughly decent man who loves his football club and it’s hard seeing him in that situation, especially when it’s Moshiri who should be out there talking to the fans.

Over at AFCON there was tragic news as fans died at the Cameroon match. This seems like an all too regular occurrence in games in Africa. It’s tragic and shouldn’t ever happen, but you wonder just how many of these tragedies need to occur before they get their house in order. Just fucking awful and really harrowing to see. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Diaz looks like a combination of suarez + coutinho with added pace. His close control is ridiculous, he can be in tight spaces and still find some space for a ball or shot. He's got that knack of being clever in every touch he takes as it'll commit a defender and he'll turn them inside out and blaze away.

GOAL STRIKE!!

• dave u unpinned this topic