You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard - Aston Villa Manager

Captain Turdseye

19 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd also add British to that but again that's not much better as it is. That said,Gerrard will be a top level manager one day soon. I just can't see him not being one with his career and the people who have mentored him during and after.

I'm pretty neutral on his ability as a manager, I don't know how much influence he had in recruitment at Rangers but it seemed very volume orientated with a big turnover of players, competition wise he should have probably won more than one trophy in 9 at Rangers even if the 1 was the most important.

At Villa they've spent a lot of money over the last two or three years and in his short time in charge it seems the results are heavily Coutinho dependent. Needs a few years to make a decent judgement.

I think Potter is the better manager at this point.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Gerrard seems to love a signing. He also seems to love older players.

He's never becoming our manager under FSG is he?

I think as a young manager it can be useful to have good senior pros in the dressing room. It would feel Suarez, coutinho and Gini would be a bit much though. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think as a young manager it can be useful to have good senior pros in the dressing room. It would feel Suarez, coutinho and Gini would be a bit much though. 

Why?

They are far better than anything Villa have. None of them would consider Villa if it wasn't for him.

It's like saying a bunch of Portuguese fellas are a bit much for Wolves.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why?

They are far better than anything Villa have. None of them would consider Villa if it wasn't for him.

Or a bunch of 50 million pound full backs are a bit much for Man City

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why?

Mainly because it will tie them in to old players on big, multi year, contracts with diminishing returns.

It's not going to get them into the CL so the question becomes is that cost worth the return they'd get from the Europa league or the Conference League and could that money be better spent.

From a managers point of view I can see the attraction because short term gain (whatever that looks like for Villa) keeps you in a job.

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why?

Suarez is done. Gini appears to have given up. Just because players once had their day doesn't mean they'll have it again. It just feels to me they're just all easy transfer links because he once played for Liverpool. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Suarez is done. Gini appears to have given up. Just because players once had their day doesn't mean they'll have it again. It just feels to me they're just all easy transfer links because he once played for Liverpool. 

Pretty sure Wijnaldum is still better than John McGinn.

But I do see what you mean, it's short term signings rather than showing the nous to identify younger players who can improve to become really good.  

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Pretty sure Wijnaldum is still better than John McGinn.

But I do see what you mean, it's short term signings rather than showing the nous to identify younger players who can improve to become really good.  

I think Gerrard had to do it at Rangers and has to do it again at Villa,at least to begin with. You arent avoiding relegation with up and coming youngsters.

They don't have the spending power or are an attractive enough prospects to compete with the big boys for the best young talent and when they bring on a Grealish he's off on the next gravy train. I don't think Gerrard necessarily wants a team of 30+ year olds.  I think there is a big chance he will manage at Anfield down the line.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They're very blunt up front. Watkins is mediocre and Ings has looked terrible.

Mings is a complete liability. There's the bones of a very good team there but he probably needs another transfer window or two to make his stamp.

Villa fans are clueless gobshites.

• Upvote 1