You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) Premier League - 24/4/21 - 12:30

Bjornebye

That was completely and utterly soul crushing. The feeling of inevitability grew and grew. Our profligacy is unprecedented. Mane, Firmino and Jota were shameful today and have the two former have been in the past 5 months. The game a complete microcosm of our season.

CL 100% gone now after a horrible week and totally self-inflicted.

4 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

And miss out on the Europa League?

There is a very real chance we will get pipped for the Europa - by Everton.

This is one of the greatest falls from grace in recent sporting memory - just 6 months ago this was the greatest team in the world by near universal acclaim. 

27 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

What a load of shite. 

Found out ? His tactics gave us at least six clear cut changes. Mo has scored 29 this season, took the most difficult and misses sitter after sitter. Jota missed four today. This game should have been won before half time, the fact it wasn't is nothing to do with the manager. 

Firmino is catastrophically shit, for over a year, and gets picked.  What message is that sending to the others about their own game, their own standards? Keita has a bad game and he's tossed.  It's beyond comprehension.  

I don't see how he's surprised about the missed chances anymore, nobody else is surprised.  It's become normalised.  We don't need a back four and two sitting midfielders against Joelinton and Saint Maximin.  

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A lot of this is down to the fucking owners. We could of added real quality to this team just one player or two each window but these fuckers think oh yes European champions we only need Adrian and Elliot. Now the side needs a big overhaul regardless of what some say. 

Klopp has had more than enough money to be finishing in the top 4.  The money won’t stop him making shit subs and choosing shit lineups.

Didn't get to see the game. Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones today. Guess I can delete the recording without watching it. Did we at least play decently or was it a bit like second half against Leeds. See Klopp pulled Jota again was it an injury or another cockup by Klopp again like Leeds ? 

22 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Yep.

I’d get rid of Bobby and if top money is on offer either Mo or Mané. 

Assume Gini will be off, but we probably can’t rely on Hendo for a full season and I’d sack off Thiago, so we need another first choice CM who can attack.

Thiago is sublime.  I can't believe he keeps getting thrown under the bus while Wijnaldum and Firmino are not.  Wijnaldum shouldn't be in the squad, he's playing like he hasn't signed a new contract, and yet he was fucking captain recently.  Another odd signal to send to the players.  

5 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Firmino is catastrophically shit, for over a year, and gets picked.  What message is that sending to the others about their own game, their own standards? Keita has a bad game and he's tossed.  It's beyond comprehension.  

I don't see how he's surprised about the missed chances anymore, nobody else is surprised.  It's become normalised.  We don't need a back four and two sitting midfielders against Joelinton and Saint Maximin.  

Firmino has been part of the structure for 5 years, he'll get the benefit of the doubt every single time. Keita has proven nothing and Klopp knows Shaqiri is a flake. There's no real alternative for Firmino's role in this squad. 

We should have had a hatful after Mo opened the scoring after 2 minutes. But our finishing just got poorer and poorer as the game wore on.

Sadio, fucking grinning like a cheshire cat in the first half when he missed yet another chance and Mo had actually played him in. Maybe he was surprised that Mo did. But he had enough chances to have a hattrick as did Mo and Jota.

People get hacked off with players giving their oppos a little well done pat or talking to each at halt time but seeing a player who's missing shitloads ofchances grinning when he misses yet another really grinds my fucking gears.

I really cant believe how poor our finishing has become. Has achterburg taken over the shooting practice as well? What pressure is on you in an empty stadium compared to if there's 50000 on the ground? I really dont get it. Anyone who thinks we're suddenly going to finish these moves off with goals because there's fans in the stadium are kidding themselves. This lot would be even worse.

I love Bobby but his deft touches and flicks are wearing now and have been for some time. And for a fucking brasilian, he seems to have lost the ability to strike the ball cleanly.

We created enough chances to have scored 7 in that first half alone. It's lack a daisical by the players and almost as if they go fuck it, another chance will be along soon. Given how we've played this season, I dont know how they could think that.

Despite that, Newcastle and that St maximin cut through us almost at will and they looked very dangerous on the break. This is a struggling Newcastle for fucks sake. They'll lose to shittier teams before the season ends make no mistake.

Overall, I thought Fab and Kabak played well especially as the latter picked up an early booking. I dont think the goal can be attributed to them either but once again, an oppo takes a strike from the edge of the box and what do you know?! But if Mo, Sadio, Jota and a lesser extent bobby had found the net, that strike would be academic. And that's what pisses everyone off especially after leeds on Monday.

I love Jurgen and there's no way Id say bin him off like one or two have or will. But he really needs to look at his use of subs. It's very poor, often too late and too slow being made.

Why does a sub need showing 4 or 5 powerpoint presentations of what to do in the last 10 minutes of a game for fuck's sake? The time we take is one of the things that used to piss Bouvak off apparently.

Is anyone telling me in the last 5 to 10 minutes we had no substitute Jurgen could trust to get on there, put a foot in and disrupt Newcastle? Fuck me, you could put Shaq, Ox or Neco Williams and just tell them you've 10 minutes to expend 90 minutes energy. I want you on the pitch and you block every Newcastle tackle.

Speaking of which, why do we lose so many 50 \ 50 tackles? Our body position just seems all wrong. I lost count the number of times Newcastle came away with the ball in that 2nd half.

We all know we're missing Hendo, Virgil, Joe and Joel but I think Jurgen needs a rethink. He's not playing Shaq, Ox, Keita so what's the point of them being here next season? Hate saying it but Sadio and Bobby need moving on as they both look busted flushes.

Im fast coming to the conclusion we need to find a decent right back and move Trent to right mid because the tactics just expose our right side when Trent goes forward. At least Robbo seems to have bags of energy to get back and make a decent fist of defending.

Ah well, welcome to the Europa League. It's a trophy worth winning.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Firmino has been part of the structure for 5 years, he'll get the benefit of the doubt every single time. Keita has proven nothing and Klopp knows Shaqiri is a flake. There's no real alternative for Firmino's role in this squad. 

Yes but really bad for at least a year. Loyalty to players can often bite you on the arse. Busby and Shankly found that out too.

4 minutes ago, Johnlj said:

Didn't get to see the game. Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones today. Guess I can delete the recording without watching it. Did we at least play decently or was it a bit like second half against Leeds. See Klopp pulled Jota again was it an injury or another cockup by Klopp again like Leeds ? 

Actually it's worth watching just to see the ridiculousness of the problem.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We should have had a hatful after Mo opened the scoring after 2 minutes. But our finishing just got poorer and poorer as the game wore on.

Sadio, fucking grinning like a cheshire cat in the first half when he missed yet another chance and Mo had actually played him in. Maybe he was surprised that Mo did. 

Not as surprised as Mo would have been if it were the other way around.

Mane won't even go down when he's tripped for fear of Mo scoring a pen.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes but really bad for at least a year. Loyalty to players can often bite you on the arse. Busby and Shankly found that out too.

It's not loyalty, there's no one else to put in his place. Putting Jota in his position changes the dynamics of the team as they're so different. Same with Origi or Shaqiri. If you want to force Firmino out, you find a player that is a better false 9 or you change the shape of the team. He's way harder to replace than someone like Mane would be, for example. 

So so fucking predictable.

I called this to my lad in after half an hour, that if we dont get the second goal before half time we arent winning. I backed my prediction up by putting £2. on a draw @10/1 in the 83rd minute

The lack of quality in our finishing is absolutely shameful. How can players with so much ability be so shite?

The Thiago substitution made no sense whatsoever and smacked of making a sub for the sake of it when we had the game well under control. Shite from Klopp.

To concede that goal after literally getting out of jail moments prior is absolutely criminal really, how can we not see out the final two minutes or so from that position?

Fabinho in defence again! What a signing Davis is proving to be. If we persist with midfielders in defence much longer Im gonna self harm.

This squad and team need a major overhaul with no CL football and tight wad owners a very jaded looking manager.

Im very very worried.

• Upvote 1

We need a massive clearout in the summer. Partly because we've overachieved with a small nucleus of very good players over the last few years.

I can't see us finishing higher than 6th regardless what happens between Chelsea and West Ham today, so we're either playing Europa League, Curly Wurly League, or if we're shit enough, which is a distinct possibility, no European football at all. I'm not convinced that attracting players will be affected all that much because the owners wouldn't spend the money on top level players even if by some absolute miracle we did finish in the top four.

However, Salah, if there is a club that fancies spending 80 - 100m on him, is gone. No chance he'll hang around to play Europa League football when he's 29 and knows he's got one big move left.

My worry is that we won't be ruthless enough in the summer. We'll hang on to Keita, AOC, Matip and Firmino in the forlorn hope that they'll rediscover their form and/or not get injured every 20 minutes.

Next season is going to be a "transition" of sorts. Something that probably should have started 12-24 months ago, although as I alluded to in the second sentence it's understandable that it didn't happen. We still have the base of a good side, but the dregs need to be fucked off. We can't have so many passengers in the squad.