You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

• 1 month later...

Did this review of Toptracer driving ranges.

Hadn't used the Toptracer before even though they have them at Aintree and I'd been there plenty of times. Toptracer were doing a worldwide challenge for the US Open this week and I went down and had a few goes at it. 9 approach shots to different holes at Torrey Pines.

It was boss, I loved it. Somehow I finished in the top 5% of golfers worldwide and top 4% in the UK. 

There are similar things that run all year round so I'm gonna go again and try the same challenge on Pebble Beach or Kiawah.

Anyway, appreciate it if you give this a click

https://www.t3.com/news/toptracer-torrey-pines-9-shot-challenge

Defo recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it before. There are three toptracer ranges in the Liverpool area and 400 worldwide.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, dave u said:

Hadn't used the Toptracer before even though they have them at Aintree and I'd been there plenty of times. Toptracer were doing a worldwide challenge for the US Open this week and I went down and had a few goes at it. 9 approach shots to different holes at Torrey Pines.

It was boss, I loved it. Somehow I finished in the top 5% of golfers worldwide and top 4% in the UK. 

There are similar things that run all year round so I'm gonna go again and try the same challenge on Pebble Beach or Kiawah.

Defo recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it before. There are three toptracer ranges in the Liverpool area and 400 worldwide.

They've got one at Widnes mate and the distances are well out. My lad who is a very decent player even said it himself and he can almost hit a driver 300 yards. I was gutted when I found out my 6 iron wasnt going 170 yds.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They've got one at Widnes mate and the distances are well out. My lad who is a very decent player even said it himself and he can almost hit a driver 300 yards. I was gutted when I found out my 6 iron wasnt going 170 yds.

The carry distances seemed spot on to me but the roll is impossible for it to judge as there are other factors involved.

All of my distances, even with driver, were pretty much exactly what I would expect them to be, unfortunately! I was hoping they'd have given me a bit extra.

On 21/06/2021 at 12:44, dave u said:

Dave you mention in the article you spend more time on the range than the course. Have you any tips for the range? I find it's like a pack of biscuits, you look down and they're gone but you don't remember eating any bar the first couple. Is there a technique you use to stay focused?

2 hours ago, No2 said:

Dave you mention in the article you spend more time on the range than the course. Have you any tips for the range? I find it's like a pack of biscuits, you look down and they're gone but you don't remember eating any bar the first couple. Is there a technique you use to stay focused?

Got plenty of tips on what we should do but I don't actually do any of them as the range is generally just so fucking boring and uninspiring.

Even with the best of intentions I always end up doing the same thing - hitting a shitload of seven irons and then a load of drivers, which ends up killing my back because I'm literally trying to swing for the fences (and never getting there).

Having did that Toptracer thing though it's going to change how I approach my range sessions. My local range doesn't have it (thankfully, I wouldn't want to pay an extra fiver every time I go the range) but the lessons I learned from that US Open challenge is that to get anything out of practice you need to try and recreate on course situations as much as possible.

So what I'm going to do next time I'm at the range is pick a target line and then try to hit every shot as close to that line as possible. I'm going to hit a different club each time too, randomly going from a 6 iron to a lob wedge and then an 8 iron etc Just mix it up and try to focus on hitting each shot on the line.

The exception to this is if maybe I want to change something in my swing and need to work on that. In which case I might still just hit a load of seven irons just to see if the change works or not, but in general it's better to hit less balls but with a focus on where you're trying to hit them, than just leathering 100 of them all over the place with driver.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I’ve always found I swing completely differently when hitting off a mat compared to grass so gave up on the range. 

If I genuinely had the time/will to really improve my game I’d just play more and have a few playing lessons. 

Totally agree regarding the range. Those mats are almost nothing like any lie on a golf course and don't really help the 'ball then turf' technique.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sir roger said:

No wonder I'm shit , I thought the idea was to hit the guy in the ball collecting buggy.

Hahaha

My ol fella’s course is Clevedon, you have 4 holes that run alongside the River Avon and there’s loads of small boats moored about 60/70 yards away. 

We always collect any old shitty balls we find as we play the front 9 and if no one is behind us on the tee fire them at the boats. 

Whoever hits the least buys the first round. 

• Upvote 1

Just got a £1500 Motocaddy electric trolley sent to me to review. It looks amazing and no doubt I'll enjoy using it before it has to go back, but I can't ever imagine being able to justify spending that kind of dough on a trolley. I wouldn't even spend that on a set of irons.

I always carry my bag but I've decided that those days are over as it's no good for my back. So I need to get a trolley but there's just no way I'd spend that much on one.

Anyone here use an electric trolley?

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Just got a £1500 Motocaddy electric trolley sent to me to review. It looks amazing and no doubt I'll enjoy using it before it has to go back, but I can't ever imagine being able to justify spending that kind of dough on a trolley. I wouldn't even spend that on a set of irons.

I always carry my bag but I've decided that those days are over as it's no good for my back. So I need to get a trolley but there's just no way I'd spend that much on one.

My brother has just bought a powakaddy trolley, it’s the 36 hole battery, bag, latest GPS, 2 boxes of Srixon soft feel balls and one free accessory (drinks holder) for £900

Anyone using one just screams ‘rich old cunt’ to me though. 

You can get a pull trolley for £15 if you don’t want to carry your own bag. 

6 hours ago, dave u said:

Won't it seem a bit ott at the range.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, dave u said:

That's our subs going up then lads 

I defo won't be buying one, but if the rain goes off I'll probably take it out to do nine holes later and no doubt after using it I'll be thinking it's great. I felt the same way when I tested the Garmin MARQ Golfer GPS watch. £1700 they go for, but it doesn't really do anything that a £500 watch does, it's just a luxury item of jewelry. But the day I had to send that back I felt like I was saying goodbye to my oldest friend.

I'm also supposed to be testing a remote control trolley soon that just follows you down the fairway. You don't even have to hold onto the thing.

I won't be buying one of those either. If you're loaded then sure, treat yourself, but I couldn't do it because I'd be thinking of all the better ways I could have spent the money. Plus my wife would kill me. There's luxury buys and then there's buying an electric golf trolley!

It's not like pushing a trolley is such hard work that you need to have a motorised one anyway. Carrying a bag for 18 holes is hard work, pushing a trolley around is not at all.

Played nine holes at London Golf Club this morning as part of a video shoot. It was me representing T3 against Neil from Golf Monthly and we were using different types of golf tech and reviewing them while we played.

Not sure when the video will be live and I haven't decided if I'll share the link with all of you cruel bastards anyway.

I lost the match (comfortably) but Neil plays off 5 and is way better than me. I played well by my standards though. Score was shite (10 over through 9) but I hit loads of good shots and it's hard playing a course for the first time. I couldn't read the greens at all. I missed a six foot putt on the last wide right by two feet because I thought it would break the other way. Mortified.

No idea how it will be edited but hopefully the bad shots will be left on the cutting room floor.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, one of the things we tried out was the Polara golf ball. It's illegal because it flies straight and you can't hook or slice them.

We only used them down the last hole but they defo do what they claim to do. Every drive I'd hit prior to that hole had been straight as fuck and I don't think I'd missed a fairway, which is unheard of for me. So I was worried that I wouldn't get a true feel for the illegal ball because I was hitting straight anyway so how would I be able to judge?

As soon as I hit it though I knew I'd reverted back to my old swing and I'd sliced the fucking arse off it. I know how that shot feels and don't even need to see it to know where it's gone. Usually about 60 yards offline to the right. 

This ball self corrected and found the right middle of the fairway. I lost about 15 yards distance from it due to how it spins when it's correcting itself, but it was mad seeing a wild slice just fix itself and find the fairway. They're about a tenner a ball, but they're really hard to lose so probably decent value compared to the higher end balls which are about £4 each anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

As an aside, one of the things we tried out was the Polara golf ball. It's illegal because it flies straight and you can't hook or slice them.

We only used them down the last hole but they defo do what they claim to do. Every drive I'd hit prior to that hole had been straight as fuck and I don't think I'd missed a fairway, which is unheard of for me. So I was worried that I wouldn't get a true feel for the illegal ball because I was hitting straight anyway so how would I be able to judge?

As soon as I hit it though I knew I'd reverted back to my old swing and I'd sliced the fucking arse off it. I know how that shot feels and don't even need to see it to know where it's gone. Usually about 60 yards offline to the right. 

This ball self corrected and found the right middle of the fairway. I lost about 15 yards distance from it due to how it spins when it's correcting itself, but it was mad seeing a wild slice just fix itself and find the fairway. They're about a tenner a ball, but they're really hard to lose so probably decent value compared to the higher end balls which are about £4 each anyway.

Fucking hell - that’s had me down a YouTube rabbit hole for the last 40 minutes now! I’ll have to get hold of one of those and have a go, although the bits I’ve seen haven’t excited me too much

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dave u said:

Played nine holes at London Golf Club this morning as part of a video shoot. It was me representing T3 against Neil from Golf Monthly and we were using different types of golf tech and reviewing them while we played.

Not sure when the video will be live and I haven't decided if I'll share the link with all of you cruel bastards anyway.

I lost the match (comfortably) but Neil plays off 5 and is way better than me. I played well by my standards though. Score was shite (10 over through 9) but I hit loads of good shots and it's hard playing a course for the first time. I couldn't read the greens at all. I missed a six foot putt on the last wide right by two feet because I thought it would break the other way. Mortified.

No idea how it will be edited but hopefully the bad shots will be left on the cutting room floor.

He's got a fantastic surname for golf,Tappin. He's also very posh too.

• Upvote 1