You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

22 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm not so sure about that. The Tories will have the aftermath of Covid to deal with alongside the the affects of Brexit and whatever Trade route they end up going down. The Electorate are pretty fickle, especially when they are hit in the pocket. It won't take much for the Tory party to start stabbing each other in the back. Johnson is incompetent as it is, with what's on the horizon that will just become more apparent, even to those who voted for him. 

Sad state of affairs but that's what every election will ultimately be decided on. 

10 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Getting battered for saying the Colston statue should have come down but not torn down as it was. Honestly don't know what an elected official trying to appeal to the broad electorate is meant to say.

The hard left of the party who complained bitterly that Corbyn wasn't supported by vast parts of the membership are now doing the same. This is why Labour is so rarely in power.   

Mad innit. What else is he meant to say as a former DPP?

Basically the party is stuffed full of people who are intent on just having an internal fight. Never mind governing, let's just scrap between ourselves. Dickheads!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Getting battered for saying the Colston statue should have come down but not torn down as it was. Honestly don't know what an elected official trying to appeal to the broad electorate is meant to say.

The hard left of the party who complained bitterly that Corbyn wasn't supported by vast parts of the membership are now doing the same. This is why Labour is so rarely in power.   

Yep, made the point before but the party is irreparably split, I don’t think it can be fixed and I don’t see how they are ever going to win power again.

44 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

There's no point pandering to the whims of a lot of these people as it's a bottomless rabbit hole. Momentum has already split into factions hasn't it I think? For every attempt to placate people on subjects like Palestine, trans rights, homelessness etc there will be people who want him to go further/not far enough. 

He's making the right moves at the moment. He needs to appeal to the British electorate first and foremost, not party factions.

• Upvote 5

I'm not convinced he's going to either unite the party or appeal to the electorate. He needs some fire in his belly and a better instinct for the public mood.

How hard would it have been to say "I understand the frustrations that led to the toppling of the statue and I support the decisions of the local police... also, I'm going to hoof the arse of any staffers found guilty of racist abuse right out of the party"?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not convinced he's going to either unite the party or appeal to the electorate. He needs some fire in his belly and a better instinct for the public mood.

How hard would it have been to say "I understand the frustrations that led to the toppling of the statue and I support the decisions of the local police... also, I'm going to hoof the arse of any staffers found guilty of racist abuse right out of the party"?

To be fair, you're paraphrasing what he said.  Apart from the last sentence.

18 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Agreed. He certainly won't win back the Brexit Heartlands voters.

At best he will appeal to Lib Dem types but I don't think that will be enough to get even a hung parliament. A lot can change in 4 years though. Hopefully Johnson and Cummings continue on their current path of destruction.

He is starting to appear be a bit of a Labour Theresa May with no real political convictions and basically looking to balance on the fence on most occasions and be everything to all men.

The mayor of Bristol had no qualms about saying he was happy to see the statue toppled.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

There's no point pandering to the whims of a lot of these people as it's a bottomless rabbit hole. Momentum has already split into factions hasn't it I think? For every attempt to placate people on subjects like Palestine, trans rights, homelessness etc there will be people who want him to go further/not far enough. 

He's making the right moves at the moment. He needs to appeal to the British electorate first and foremost, not party factions.

Spot on. You don't chat a girl up by saying you're probably gonna have a wank over her mum at some point. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Nah, I think he's adopting broadly the right strategy.  He's not giving the right wing press much to chew on while he's getting his feet under the table. 

They are absolutely terrified of him and know full well Boris Johnson isn't capable of winning a debate without housing and making a tit of himself. That why the haunted pencil wants them all back in there so they can shout over Starmer. He is going about things exactly the right way. I really like him. 

22 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He is starting to appear be a bit of a Labour Theresa May with no real political convictions and basically looking to balance on the fence on most occasions and be everything to all men.

The mayor of Bristol had no qualms about saying he was happy to see the statue toppled.

The mayor of Bristol only needs to appeal to Bristol though.

I don't think there was anything wrong with what Starmer said on this issue. The people that were involved in bringing down the statue won't be voting Tory at the next election.

• Upvote 1

To answer you properly, I’ve been to PLP and other party meetings and I’ve yet to meet anyone who could be described as hard left. Just a lot of hardworking people who wanted a fairer society and worked their bollocks off for it while being abused by the media and undermined by the internal party machine who couldn’t handle a non-Blairite succession and so actively worked against it and them. So if some of them are a little pissed off for being treated like that, I can understand it.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, stringvest said:

agree with that, but as the Tories are repeatedly stabbing them selves in the eye, there's no need to disrupt that just yet.  

Agreed. To use a golfing analogy, it’s not Tiger Woods in his pomp ahead of them on the leaderboard. They’re not good enough to go four years without fucking up multiple times so if Labour keep hitting it straight, getting pars at most holes and picking up the odd vital birdie here and there then the gap will narrow. No need for high risk shots just yet. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The mayor of Bristol only needs to appeal to Bristol though.

I don't think there was anything wrong with what Starmer said on this issue. The people that were involved in bringing down the statue won't be voting Tory at the next election.

A lot of them possibly wouldn't have voted labour either, regardless. 

Look how many votes the party lost to the likes of the Lib Dems over Brexit.

This is the problem you've got.