You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory Cabinet Thread

Bjornebye

14 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Fair cop, we've all been diving in our Scrooge McDuck vaults post-Brexit, it's been nothing but sunlit uplands. It turns out that I definitely aren't worse off now than I was two years ago now that I've read that article, so that's nice.

It's not what it says. It's a report on wages rising faster than inflation. The ONS figures also confirm the same 

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-wage-growth-edges-down-stays-close-record-high-2023-11-14/

23 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's not what it says. It's a report on wages rising faster than inflation. The ONS figures also confirm the same 

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-wage-growth-edges-down-stays-close-record-high-2023-11-14/

You posted it in response to a point about Brexit and wages, what were you implying? Or were you just making a superfluous point and posting a load of links without thought, as usual?

37 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Wage rises because there are not enough people to do the work isn't a good thing. It doesn't need a degree to work it out.

23 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

You posted it in response to a point about Brexit and wages, what were you implying? Or were you just making a superfluous point and posting a load of links without thought, as usual?

I was replying to another poster and the links i posted provide "facts" on our discussion on wages. The figures in the links I've provided are from the ONS. You may call them "superfluous" others use them to provide clarity. 

Anyway if you're going to be glib I'll leave it there. 

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Again not what's being said.

It's exactly what's happening.

Britain's economy is flat-lining as the BoE's long run of interest rate hikes squeezes households and businesses. But employers are still struggling to fill vacancies after many workers left the job market during the coronavirus pandemic, with Brexit also reducing the supply of candidates.

"The labour market remains very tight and businesses are still struggling to hire the people they need," Alexandra Hall-Chen, a policy adviser at the Institute of Directors, said.

6 minutes ago, skend04 said:

It's exactly what's happening.

Britain's economy is flat-lining as the BoE's long run of interest rate hikes squeezes households and businesses. But employers are still struggling to fill vacancies after many workers left the job market during the coronavirus pandemic, with Brexit also reducing the supply of candidates.

"The labour market remains very tight and businesses are still struggling to hire the people they need," Alexandra Hall-Chen, a policy adviser at the Institute of Directors, said.

I don't disagree.

I've been saying for ages this 'wage squeeze' was artificial and designed to deprive us of any savings we had after lockdowns.

A couple of years back you couldn't get a contractor because they were all tied up as 'everyone had money'. People were quitting jobs left, right and centre to do stuff with their lives they actually enjoyed. This is what it used to be like many moons ago when people were paid well enough to have a security blanket and to actually own things rather than rent them. 

Our system in the west though relies on you to be perpetually treading hot coals. Inflation eases and hey look, everyone's savings are gone and it's back to being grateful for 'any' job and for being able to afford a pizza on a Friday night. 

Covid was absolute proof that our economics are purely artificial. They can give you as much money as they want, for any reason they want, and the world won't - and didn't - end. 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Farage and that fucking nonsense about him being a pauper not having the cash to bank with Coutts has contributed to a 25% fall in NatWest share price, NatWest is state owned due to the bailout.

NatWest is now conveniently being put up for sale, so some folk are going to get themselves a bargain.

Trebles all round! 

to be fair, natwests shares were on the slide months before farage got the boot from coutts. 

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

michael Gove sent every state primary and secondary school in England a King James Bible (“funded by philanthropists” to the tune of £375,000). An oak-framed portrait of the king for every school is costing £8m.

He should be thrown in jail for wasting so much public money on fucking bullshit.